Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical idetify ford flathead from image

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fjant, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Hi.
    I might by an old firetruck at an auction just to pull the engine. I did not see the truck in real life, so wander if it will be worth it. Can you se aproximatly what engine it is? the truck is from -52.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    302GMC likes this.
  2. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

I wont give more than equivalent to 500 dollars for the truck.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Worth that in scrap.
    Exposed engine to the elements? It looks like a 59A.
    Your odds of having a rebuildable block or good running engine are probably 25%.

4. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

okey. thank you for the input. the body looks in good shape so, I think it's been sitting inside. but not moved since 1974. But just howling it seems like it's to much work.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Show a picture of the complete truck, please. That looks like it might be a cab over truck. There is value in the body parts. No matter the condition. I see it is England's version of a big truck. It might be interesting

6. Slopok

Slopok

I don't think a '52 would have a crab distributor!

7. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

8. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

That has Bonneville support vehicle written all over it...…..

9. 1940Coupe

1940Coupe

50’s Ford Thames Firefly

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

11. Awesome truck! Looks pretty solid.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I see the bottom row center stud inline with the others above it, so that means it's a 21 stud. It's probably a 1938 engine. Not really popular, but there are some fanatical supporters. Not a 59A engine.

Bandit Billy and Petejoe like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one cool truck but damn, that thing has to be one slow fire truck.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That truck is pretty rad...but yeah, slower than frozen molasses.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing you're in Sweden, that might be a good deal. I would be worried about the obvious mismatch in the year of the engine and the year of the truck.

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ship me the truck, as mentioned a great support vehicle for Bonneville!

17. redoxide

redoxide

Being an english Ford it will most likely be 21 stud motor the same as that used in the Ford pilot well into the 50s so I wouldn't be worried re the relative age of the motor. Its likely to be the one that came with the truck.., They used that 21 stud in the UK all the way through the 2nd WW and beyond. It was also used in pretty much all Ford UK heavy military and Bren Gun Carriers..

18. The heads are 37 heads. Looks like it may have a Lucas distributor?

19. lilmann

lilmann

Fjant, do you access to E83W parts..??..I’m trying to track down a grille used around 1950-1957 on the smaller Ford trucks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. That is the original motor note the firing order picture on the head that was standard on English flatheads.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Definitely not a 59 or 59A engine. The engine is 1937 or 1938 (note some 38 engines were 24 studs). The head bolts are located directly below the cylinder (lines up with spark plug) which means it is a 21 stud. The water outlet is in the center of the head which places it 1937-38 (the 1936 and earlier heads had the water pumps mounted on the heads and not the front of the engine). These engines are popular with the guys that own 1932-36 vehicles since all of their 21 stud bolt ons will fit on this engine and the engine bay will look almost original (use a plate where the water pump mounts on the front of the engine, Ford actually made a plate for that purpose). These engines have insert main bearings while all of the earlier 21 studs had babbitt bearings. Speed equipment is scarce and expensive for the 21 stud engines. I like it, fix it up and it will be unique.

Charlie Stephens

bct, Petejoe and 302GMC like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I think the truck is cooler than the engine. As others have said, 21 stud British style flathead. Some aftermarket support but parts are pricey and they don't make as much power as the bigger engines.

23. khead47

khead47

I see a caravan ! ( Camper to us ).

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

I meant hot rod rv; darn spell check.

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I see sumthin cool

26. deucemac

deucemac

Just remember whatever flathead it is, it's in a fire truck and most likely worn out. A friend bought a 1940 cab over fire truck with only 9,000 miles on it but the engine was shot. Fire trucks never go far but will sit and pump or use the pto for hours at a fire thus low miles and incredible hours on the engine.

27. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

thank you for all your anwsers. There was a big sale with about ten different firetrucks (and som other trucks) mostly ford. the other fords were amarican bodystyles i think. all were in the same quite good shape.
    this one was sold for about 1500 dollar (I did pass). The most expensive for about doubble that I think.