Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Positioning of Speedo and tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a question for you on gauge placement, specifically the Speedo and tach.

A lot of hot rod gauge clusters I have seen have placed the speedo on the left and the tachometer on the right.

The usual practice for newer vehicles seems to be tach on the left and speedometer on the right.

Hmmm :D

What is your preference and what do you think is right (or left :D) and why ?

I'll have to spend some time looking at the mother of all dash threads. :)

2. loudbang

loudbang

I always had the tach on the right and the speedo on the left. I don't know why it just felt better that way.

5window and scotty t like this.
  3. I never really thought about it. If I was asked, which I guess I was:D, my natural inclination would be to reply speedo on the right. I feel as though that would be where I would look for it if I got in a car I was not familiar with if it wasn't centered. It's where the of majority things you have to access on any cars dash board tend to be so it seems logical to me that it would be in that direction as well. I am assuming two equal sized gauges here not a large speedo and a small tach.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Larry, My old Falcon spring had the tach on the right on top of the dash from the factory and my GTO also had the tach to the right of the speedometer. HRP

5. My OT Monte SS is on the right (factory) and I have a column mounted tach offset to the right on the '57.

6. town sedan

town sedan

I've got late model experience with this issue.

My 15 year old truck has the tach to the left of the speedometer.
    My 2 year old Jeep has the tach to the right of the speedometer.

I'm right handed and tend to look to the right side gauge first. The Jeep is just not friendly with what I consider as "wrong" gauge placement.

My roadster will have the tach to the left of the speedometer when I get to that point.
    -Dave

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue One. I put the speedo in the hole in the middle of my dash cluster and the tach in a cup on the steering column. You could go either way depending on which was more important for you I suppose...

Stogy likes this.
  8. While a in-dash tach is 'traditional', I've come to the conclusion that they're more-or-less useless. If you're using it as a shift indicator, you have to take your eyes off the road to watch the tach; not good. The racers mount them on the top of the dash, within their sight line, although it seems that most don't bother with tachs anymore, preferring shift lights. That may be what I'll use in the future rather than a tach, as a bright 'shift' indicator light can be seen with your peripheral vision fairly easily, keeping your eyes on the road. I've been looking for one that has the electronics and light separated so I can dash-mount the light with no luck so far, I suspect I'll have to modify something to get what I want.

As to the left/right location, from what I've seen American vehicles usually have the speedo left/tach right, most imports are opposite. That may have something to do with country of origin and whether LHD or RHD is standard there.

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

speedo where I can see it relatively easily, tach where it's in my face. Which side doesn't matter too much, but I'm used to the tach being just to the right, above the dash.

Stogy, Johnny Gee and deucemac like this.
  10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the option, put the tach in the center. The speedo can go on either side.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So... a guy is sitting at the bar, tells a stranger he has a tee time in the morning at 8:00, stranger agrees but warns that he might be a half hour late. Next morning the stranger is on the box at 8:00, plays left handed and wins.

That night at the bar the first gent wants a re-match, same tee time the following morn. Stanger replies that he is in but may be a half hour late. Next morning he is on the box at 8:00, this time he plays right handed and wins.

While having a pint at the end of the round the first gent says "I don't get it, you play lefty one day, righty the next, what gives?
    The stranger replies "when I wake in the morning if my willy is hanging to the left I play lefty, if it's hangin to the right I play righty".
    The first guy asks "what if it standing straight up?"
    The stranger replies "I'm a half hour late".

@Blue One as they say "sleep on it", you'll know in the morning. :D

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The dash I am building, I put the speedometer on the right and tachometer on the left. Just seemed right.

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The usual Hamb consensus has been reached total agreement, tach on the right...or is that on the left :D
    Thanks guys this is fun. :)

saltflats likes this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

Puttin' the tach in the center on my '55 1st series Chevy pickup but I'm not racing the truck so it doesn't really matter that much.

[​IMG]

robracer1, 302GMC, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. I just did a Google search of dash gauge images as sort of an unscientific survey. The pictures were mostly OT late models OEM but there were a few rods also. The first 6 photos were 5 speedos on the left and 1 on the right and it looked for a moment like the left was going to run away with it. But right clawed its way back and I stopped looking at 30 with an even split, 15 left, 15 right.
    So the answer is...... there is no answer. Do what you like, I guess. o_O

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, I had considered mounting my speedometer on the left and the tachometer on the right.

However when I remember the mock-up sitting in my RPU I recall that the speedometer was partially blocked by the steering wheel.

I have a Classic instruments hot rod series gauge set with the large speedometer and tach and the smaller gauges.

My new F150 truck has the tach on the left.

So it looks like the speedometer will be on the right for easy viewing.

But then again who knows ;):D
    Here’s the early mock-up.
    Larry
    F35F71D0-08A0-40E3-A753-94F0A092B52F.jpeg

Stogy, loudbang, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  18. I'm still laughin about the golf joke !!!!!!!!!!!

brad2v, Tim, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have many, many more. It's what I do.

Stogy, da34guy and loudbang like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Stogy likes this.
  21. Seeing that my first inclination would be speedo on the left tach on the right as you wouldn't have to look as far to see the speedo but if you can't see the speedo clearly if it's on the left it would take even longer to try and read it. Really need to get the steering wheel and seat back in there and confirm where the best position is.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedometer Left...(no short forms for that word that's for sure)...:D...for the reason @K13 raised that you have to pay attention to it always especially in the school zones...the tachometer while also accurate doesn't tell you the speed your going...that could cost you. Yes it can be an accurate gauge of speed but when your doing the math you may have already been nabbed. If the wheel is in the way perhaps plan B right side as suggested.

I actually have a functioning speedometer but its in MPH and inaccurate so I run a GPS actually suction cupped to the dash approximately where your Tachometer is and its really not a problem...The cabin area in these cars are extremely tight and you are really not staring at the gauge constantly...glance done...

I have always thought center mounted gauges are not really the best location but some of the moderns do but I still think its a bad idea...right in front of you is ideal...but in your case it is what it is.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Speedo in the dash, tach in my face :D

new_tach.jpg

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. I would sit in the drivers seat and let the truck tell you where they should be, I bet after awhile it will become clear where they are easy to view. A couple beer or a whiskey or two and I usually can solve all the worlds problems.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that which ever is more important to you should be in the most optimal viewing position. 3 pedals on the floor, tach in plain view.

Speedo only matters if the cops are around.

Hotrodmyk and loudbang like this.
  26. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Run with tach only, no speedo. After a short time you'll sync the Rs with what speed you're travelling. You know the old routine - someone with accurate speedo behind you on lightly traveled highway. They flash lights at pre-selected speeds and you make note of RPM @ that speed … then remember it.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As soon as you said the left hand gauge is partially blocked I thought “well the tach goes in the right so you can see it!”

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well i believe there are two viable options I like but it is based on the vehicle and dash configuration related to room between door and steering wheel. My OT vehicles are centered where you can easily see through the steering wheel. Now I am a guy who would rather have the window down then the a/c on and my arm laying on door. So I am inclined to be sitting/leaning to my left and I would much rather have my speedo between the door and steering wheel and mount towards the upper dash. That way I can try and be cool with my arm hanging out and don't have to move to see the speedo. :D

29. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's my layout. It's more about wheel location and visibility than anything. [​IMG]

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My speedometer is going to be GPS driven so accuracy won’t be an issue.
    I went that way because it won’t matter then what tire size is or what set of gears I have in the quick change at any point in time.

Tim and loudbang like this.