Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cool photos, for photographers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Mar 17, 2017.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

a few from around town:

Attached Files:

2. If you listen carefully, you can hear the NCRS guys heads exploding.

3. I took this a few years ago at the Return to the Milltown in Palmer Mass.

upload_2018-10-15_14-25-34.png

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

SAM_8900.JPG

7. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

8. waylow64bird and loudbang like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are two of them

10. My uncle use to say "Not like a house rat, but like rat now" Thanks for posting. Great old memory.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. mkebaird, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-10-17_3-45-55.png
    Hey Ron,

Nice photo spread from your extended, cool vacation…It should be inserted in a “COOL ATTRACTION” story post on Hershey. We had that event on our calendar "waaaay" back in those early days. Ever since the 1960s, it was THE place to go for the ultimate swap meet and show. Being on a constant budget as teenagers, we knew that big swap meet was going to be a killer of a place.

Sure, we had the Long Beach Swap Meets with tons of old vintage and NOS parts instead of those commercial style swap meets that were popping up, locally. But, a vacation back East for the ultimate, big time, swap meet would have been fabulous.

Hershey was/is the home of one of our favorite treats. A cross county trip back then was nearly impossible for us teenagers. But, my wife and I got as far as St. Louis one summer. It was the Mid West summer road construction from OKC to St. Louis that cancelled the rest of the Eastern seaboard trip. A stopover after NYC on the way back West to the Great Lakes and Chicago, was supposed to be in Hershey. Chocolate, what more is there to think about? Yum.

A quick change of plans: Kansas & Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona National Parks made up the new itinerary on the way home to So Cal for the rest of that summer.

Jnaki
    upload_2018-10-17_3-51-45.png
    Lions Dragstrip Pits, 1960... our 40 Willys in the background.

That Cadillac El Dorado Brougham was an eye catcher back when they came out and in your recent photo. They were/are very cool cars, but out of reach for most of us. It was the epitome of luxury back in 1958-60 when we laid our eyes on our Lions Dragstip Pits neighbor almost every week. The guy in the photo drove his Cadillac Brougham to the same spot almost every week, when we were racing our 58 Impala and later, our 40 Willys Coupe.

This photo was in a Hot Rod article on cheater slicks. It certainly was a surprise to see our Willys in the background as we did remember this guy. He was relentless in his sales pitch and sold a lot of slicks from his Cadillac in the pits.

Earlier when we had the 58 Impala in the pits, my brother actually bought a set of cheater slicks for the car. In 1959-early 1960, the Impala was being over powered by the newer, higher horsepower, Chevy sedans in our stock car class racing. So, we thought of everything we could think of to try and even the odds of making up the power difference and competing. With an improvement in the cheater slick usage for times and speeds in the class, later on, the cheater slicks were outlawed in the stock car classes at Lions. So, we sold them and moved on to the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class with our new, Willys Coupe build.

Note:
    There is a Cadillac Brougham in Irvine, CA for sale. It is ONLY $236k that looks amazing. $236,000 is a lot! Whew!

Back then: “When it was introduced in March 1957, the flagship Cadillac cost a jaw-dropping $13,074. This in a year when the average yearly salary was $4,657 and a base, Bentley S1 saloon cost $12,000. (For a Cadillac!!!)

13. [​IMG]

Yes, I tried to crop the A.C. compressor out.

14. waylow64bird

waylow64bird
    from Buffalo MN

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] on the black and white cars one a hot rod buddy took it and the cars are black and white [​IMG]

Sent from my iPod touch using H.A.M.B.

1959Nomad, biggeorge, Dave Mc and 6 others like this.
  15. mkebaird

mkebaird

Same same, this one is a 52 MKVII

BigO and loudbang like this.
  16. I took these at the Rats Nest Run In 2010
    upload_2018-10-17_14-42-51.png

upload_2018-10-17_14-50-59.png

I did some touch up work here to get rid of the late model that was behind the Knuckle Head.
    upload_2018-10-17_15-24-10.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. SkyGod

SkyGod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

19. biggeorge, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.