Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Took these photos today of the brake pedal out of my friend John’s 34 coach. A so called Hot Rod Shop, who shall remain nameless, changed the brakes from mechanical to hydraulic. To accomplish this feat of engineering, they scabbed on some angle, chunk of tubing to clear the wishbone and some 1/8”x1” strap. Keeping in mind that it was welded by a blind person, would any of you stake your life on this modification? Didn’t think so. On the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    mgtstumpy, bchctybob and brad2v like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The parent metal immediately adjacent to the weld is only 85% of it's original strength.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Morgan still uses wood in their frames. The wood is steel clad.

4. To charge money for that :eek::eek:

Like my uncle joe who does renovations for a living and lately has been going in after the TV show “ pros” to fix stuff They have done.

“ this asshole deserves nothing less then being shot in the face with a sawed off shot gun! Not even his family should have the rights to an open casket funeral with his workmanship being like this.”

Wow ok..... I’ll do better :D

loudbang likes this.
  5. topher5150

topher5150

6. I actually did this to a set of 4 dodge van donut spares to fit my 34 ford. They served to roll the car around the shop while building and transporting it on a trailer. I'm not proud.

Attached Files:

7. Corey "Waldo" E.

Corey "Waldo" E.

20181013_205831.jpg parts car I killed. The restorers used a few tubes of blue permatex aa well. 20181013_205914.jpg 20181013_205914.jpg 20181013_210007.jpg cut down 55 gallon drum spare tire well.

mgtstumpy and j hansen like this.
  8. Ancient Chinese Proverb -" If one has a welder, it does not make him a welder"

Okie Pete and stanlow69 like this.
  9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Ancient "Kiwi" proverb....... "She's f**ked when a welder can't fix it"

Okie Pete and Boryca like this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

That's a little different than driving on the street.....sorta like using plywood discs for shop roll around wheels

11. BJR

BJR

Bleach, loudbang, XXL__ and 1 other person like this.
  12. XXL__

XXL__

"Honing."

ty_TN_man_with_jackhammer_1942.gif

13. No they do not. Morgans have had steel frames from day one until the present. They have wood framed bodies, much like old coach built cars

X38 and classiccarjack like this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stand corrected. I remembered watching a documentary on Morgan cars and was sure I watched the frames being steel clad. I went back and looked again. The chassis frames are galvanized steel, the body frames are ash, and depending on the model, are clad in either aluminum or stainless. Beautiful work.

upspirate likes this.
  15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The frame of my speedster, as originally found:
    Frame-Crimes.jpg
    For starters, we have the sqaure tubing welded to the frame horns as a DIY lift kit. But the crowning glory is the retro-fitted middle cross-member attached under the frame (and just barely--perhaps they were running low on acetylene). The only point of contact is the lower edge of the frame. Compounding the problem--sadly not visible--is that 6 inches of the left frame rail's lower edge were removed just ahead of this. This was done to accommodate an oversized steering box, and you could see where it had been flexing like crazy for a long time.

I don't know whether this is Wall Worthy or just what they did in the day. Or both.

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  16. Perfectly acceptable, as long as the roller's are not desirable and it never hits the pavement like that.

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

After seeing some of the examples previously posted these don't seem all that bad but just the same.....
    The crude but presumably effective ladder bars from my Austin gasser. They did use "Supertanium" bolts though.
    IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1375.JPG
    The lovely trans crossmember and a 2 x 6 extra crossmember in my '33 pu. The frame was boxed with random pieces of 1/4" plate.
    IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG
    And an interesting way to "flush" the doors on my '33 pu jun13_17 (3).JPG

Note the firewall-to-dash closeout on my Austin, don't know how it passed tech. Also the firewall is two sandwiched sheets of .030 aluminum.
    IMG_1379.JPG

mgtstumpy, Bleach and loudbang like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A couple of teenagers in a 1950s garage, that would be understandable. A modern shop, charging real money? Not. Name and shame them.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 62rebel

62rebel

Damn I'm glad I dismantled that homebuilt body I was making for my Jag special...... y'all woulda LOVED that POS

20. Exhaust clamps are for exhaust.
    90538A53-046C-417D-B2C7-12B2B1C81A6C.png

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's hard to believe someone invested time and materials on those, but then I feel that way about almost all of the "cartoon" rods some people are building these days. They would be better off spending the time and materials on something that actually works.
    But I may be wrong. They would be 'da bomb' painted yellow and bolted to the orange rear end in a jacked up 4 dr '59 Rambler station wagon gasser with clear coated rust and bolt-on spindle mount front wheels.

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Don't have a picture but you can just imagine. A friend called me up and asked if I could help another friend align the rumble lid on his Model A coupe. When I got there I was amazed. Both 1/4's were rusted out about 4 - 5" up from the bottom. Someone had "fixed" them with screen wire and about 1/2" of Bondo. The outside looked fair but :eek:. The opening was not square.

24. One of my students wondered why there were no Hoffman Group parts here yet

VANDENPLAS, flatheadpete and mr57 like this.
  25. Blake 27

Blake 27

Past crack "repair" on my 27 rpu. HPIM0484.JPG DSC01348-001.JPG

mgtstumpy, VANDENPLAS, Bleach and 2 others like this.
  26. 62rebel

62rebel

The best I can say about that is that it's close to being metal.... My Dad was no welder nor very much with A/O torch, whereas my Granddad was pretty damn good (he owned his own shop in Detroit) at metal work. He was just not interested in hot rods nor restoring old cars, just new wrecks. Dad was forever hunting undamaged fenders for his A's and hated seeing them with cracks he didn't know how to fix. Granddad just couldn't fathom spending money and time fixing old cars. I won't tell y'all what he did to Great Granddad's '47 fluid drive Dodge......

27. Why not? :p

28. 62rebel

62rebel

Y'all might git agitated a bit. Okay, ya twisted my arm. Sometime during the mid sixties, the old faithful '47 blew a head gasket, and was relegated to the back of the tractor shed along with the hay mower, rake, three bottom plow, harrow, etc... Dad was in the process of replacing it and got sidetracked, and it sat, unfinished, until Great Granddad died in 1972. Probably seven or eight years, actually. It had gradually been the victim of childhood horseplay and weather and, even though I pleaded for the folks to let me have the thing, Granddad hauled it over by the chicken coop one fine day and cut it into pieces small enough to load into the trunk of his car and haul to the scrapper. Yeah. Small enough to handle loading into a car trunk. Dad wasn't altogether too happy about it, either, as it was supposed to have been his car.... to replace the '55 Ford Customline they'd already rolled down the hill into a gully to stop it washing out..............

29. 62rebel

62rebel

Side note: I remember riding in this same car when my Mom drove it a few times. I stood in the front floorboard and she let me "steer" the car. Maybe that's why I wanted to keep it so bad. It was literally the only manual transmission car she could drive.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.