Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical difference between transgo shift kits -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Hi all - i have a 2004r in a 375hp 3000lbs car.. i wanna burn it on the strip and enjoy driving like a bit of a hooligan in abandoned areas-
    whats the difference between the stock, jr and reprogramming kits, they range from $30 to $130 - is the reprogramming worth it? My trans is still running gr8, light whine bit otherwise she seems happy - just shifts real slow and lazy when i mash it..

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I don't know how helpful this is, because I run a TH400, but I put a Transgo Comp I kit in my TH400 in 1975, and it still works great.
    The biggest advantage of the shift kits of any brand, is that they cut the amount of time that both clutches are engaged during a shift. This is the most important feature to me, as it reduces the heat buildup in the transmission and the oil. That is also why you can feel each shift after the kit is installed.
    Bob

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure on the 200, but just read on here somewhere that the only way to go is to buy a new valve body with full flow.
    I have little to no experience with the 200.
    I run a trangs go kit in the race car, I like it. It doesn't brake a bunch of parts with a big bang shift.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here are 200R Trangso kits with explanation

5. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

The 2004r is an excellent trans when prepared well. DO you know the code on the tail housing of your unit to see what might need to be upgraded?

The line pressure is usually pretty low on a "regular" 2004r so a larger boost valve(.471 or .500) low/rev boost valve(.283) and the 700r4 spring(usually pink or blue) to get the pressure up. These can be swapped with the trans in the car. They are accessible with the pan down. I would also consider a larger servo for the second gear. This may or may not be accessible in the car depending on your trans tunnel. The '563" is the small one generally in the passenger car. A larger "692" or " "694"( these are the last three casting numbers on the servo cover). This will give the second gear more area and apply the band with more force to keep it from slipping.

There are some holes in the vb plate that can be enlarged to help the clutches apply quicker giving the trans a firmer shift. Also some springs that can be swapped in the vb to give more positive shifts. Let me know if you are interested and I can send this info to you.

Most important thing is the adjustment of the tv cable to give the line pressure an instant jump when the throttle is opened. A gauge is the best way to verify this.