Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bob's Big Boy Friday Cruise Nights in Burbank, CA ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TTR, Oct 1, 2018.

1. OK, I tried the search, but nothing recent or useful came up.

First, I might've inquired about this here before.
    I've never been and neither have any of my driving buddies, but the subject has come up couple of times recently when contemplating some extended drives with friends and one idea would be to take Friday (and maybe Saturday) off work (yeah, some of us still have to do that stuff), take a nice scenic drive from Riverside to Burbank via Angeles Crest Highway, etc. (4+ hrs at minimum), show up at Bob's late afternoon/early evening, hang couple of hours, eat dinner there or somewhere "better"(?) in the area and then, either drive back home later that evening or, stay somewhere in Burbank/LA area overnight and drive to Derelict Donuts in H.B. early Sat. morning and then come home, perhaps via Ortega Hwy.

So my questions are: Any recent and/or regular attendees to this Bob's Cruise Night event who'd care to offer insight ? What type of cars ? Newer, vintage, mix ? How large attendance ? How's the access to park for an hour or two ? Do the attendees/cars rotate or do regulars come in early and stay all evening with no room for "newbies" like us who would show up at random some time ? If reasonably accessible, whats the best/worse times to show up ? Any other suggestion would also be appreciated.
    Obviously, we'd be driving hot rods and/or other vintage cars, but a small group of 2-4 cars perhaps.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you done an online for Bob's Big Boy, Burbank?

chryslerfan55 and TTR like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I've been going for about 20 years or so...I'd say it's not quite as good as it used to be..but still a good cruise night. There are waves of cars...some come at 2pm or so to stake out their spot...they tend to leave around dinner time. Some come after work...5 to 6 PM or so...there is a turnover of people coming and going...its mostly luck to get a spot. Getting several spots will take some doing...it starts to peter out about 9 or 10 pm. Jay Leno and Tommy Ivo have been known to come through. It's a historic joint...its been an ongoing cruise night since 1949...I'd try to make it if I was you..

chryslerfan55, Stogy and TTR like this.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just fly in to Burbank on Jet Blue, my daughter picks me up and we drive over to Bob's. I think I've been there three times, good cross section of cars, many regulars, not that there is anything wrong with that. Good food, good people, good times. On your advice she took a tour over Angele's Crest Highway with my wife and they had a very nice time. Donut Derelicts is still on my "To Do" list. Bob

5. I've done both (live about 8 mi. from Donuts) over the years. Bob's I usually get there about 6:30, fewer cars than Donuts, but a good sampling that changes over about 2-3 hours. Donuts lot starts filling up about 5:00 am or earlier, by 8:00 it is more than 60% gone. Stores are starting to open, so to keep the peace with the merchants people bail out of parking spaces. All cars are gone way before 9:00. Probably twice as many and varied cars compared to Bob's. But both are absolute hits for us afflicted with the rodder heart. It is hit or miss... l have seen Foose new projects, Leo's turbine car, and Chevrolet new Camero convertible concept months before it was public (and the guys in suits hovering in the crowd listening to the talk)

You gotta do it or you will kick yourself if it goes away like the original Irvine Cars and Coffee kinda hosted by Ford years ago.

Just do it...you can sleep later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. flynstone

flynstone

cops are dicks, left 30 years ago , never went back.... back row was good!

chryslerfan55 and TTR like this.
  7. Thanks a bunch to all of you !
    These and any other forthcoming insights are greatly appreciated.
    I've been to Derelicts few times over the years, mostly with out-of-town friends who wanted to experience it while visiting SoCal. Same with Crystal Cove and Irvine, but since I'm more into pleasures of vintage driving than standing around, I don't attend these things very often, but we'll likely do Bob's (at least) once, if for nothing else than "been there, done that".
    I just feel I have to incorporate some excuse for an interesting drive and that Hwy 2 might be the ticket.
    IMO, most of these SoCal cruise night/c & c events are unfotunately held in locations too far from interesting drives.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. I can relate. :rolleyes:
    That's how I felt about the gate keepers at LARS almost 30 years ago.
    No desire to go back since.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I'm glad to hear/read they enjoyed it. :)
    One of my absolutely favorite scenic hot rod/vintage sports car driving routes around here. Plus there's tons of great hiking & pick-nick spots too.

10. toml24

toml24

Donut Derelicts from above. About 200 spaces. Guaranteed to be filled to SRO on Saturday mornings.
    2018-Donut Derelicts parking lot.jpg

11. Lil32

Lil32

when we visit USA, Donuts is always a must see
    apart from the cars the donuts are bloody great,we miss them when we are home

DSCN0878.JPG

12. I just wish these gatherings would be held in places worth a drive.
    Derelicts is long enough distance, but I just don't wish to spend a Saturday morning sitting 45+ minutes each way on a conveyor belt without a chance for proper drive. :(

:)
    Funny perhaps (at least to me), while I'm not a super health food or veggie-only enthusiast, I've never cared for or even understood how someone could eat something so disgusting as donuts, let alone for breakfast ? o_O:eek::D
    OTOH, never understood pancakes, with or without syrup, either. :rolleyes:

13. Take a trip back in time. Does anybody remember the Wich Stand in Los Angeles?

TTR likes this.
  14. Mmmm,doughnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and TTR like this.