Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking for the best "pearl white" paint for the 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would like to step the 55 up a notch when it gets nosed, shaved etc. It is just a fleet white enamel now. I would like to go with a pearlescent white, but I am not a fan of the traditional pearls that have a tan cast to them.

What is out there that has a red cast to it? Are there production paints out there on some of the newer cars that would work? The old internet is to hard to see true colors.

I'm not painting it. Earl Schieb is, so don't worry.

2. 57 t bird th_Aug2519.jpg 1997 Lincoln continental.

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

My favorite has been Lexus Diamond White Pearl.

4. egads

egads

Cadillac white diamond is pretty to me.[​IMG]

Knghtcadi, MMM1693 and alanp561 like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think I saw a Lexus today that color. That's what started this post. I didn't get a chance to stop and look at the year/make on the car.

6. Slopok

Slopok

I maybe wrong but I think a lot of the pearl whites are 3 stage nowadays!

Frankie47 likes this.
  7. They are and most are very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have shot a few 3 stage paints. I know the Ford Red is a 3 stage that I sprayed on my sons Mustang. It was VERY expensive.

9. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

i would take a drive around some of the higher end new car dealers and see what looks good on a new car,you would be able to see how it looks in the sun,and in the dusk too,they all look white until the light shines over them,some are very nice,others look like crap.Thats where i would start. Harvey

alanp561 and Roothawg like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey R,
    Photos are hard to show the actual Pearlescent look. Since you saw a Lexus with a white pearl type color, drop by the local BMW dealer to check out cars painted with Mineral White Metallic. From walking distance away, it looked exactly like the old pearl white paints from back in those old custom car days. I am sure any painter can get a color match or process if it takes several additives.

Jnaki
    This is a white metallic pearl. When I saw that color, my wife said it looked like a white pearl. (she likes pearl jewelry.) So, to the hot rod influenced wife, that was the same style as those old color magazine photos I used to show her and those custom cars we used to see at the hot rod shows. When most people see the white Pearlescent paints at car shows, one can't help but want to touch it.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. My wife's 32 roadster was sprayed in 3 stage Lexus / Toyota Blizzard Pearl white. Very subtle pearl that pops in sunlight. Like most whites it photographs poorly. The paint materials are IMG_1887 (1).JPG major league expensive. The primers, sealers, the base coat and pearl coating then all the clear to seal it will expand your estimate rapidly.

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

pearl.jpg Pearl is and always has been a 3 stage process. you paint the car white, add your choice of pearl color (there are many including red) to a clear ( I use blending clear) and apply. then top coat with clear. Pearls are available in powder and paste forms.

alanp561, Roothawg and Sancho like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

They must be hard to match, by all the daily drivers I see that have been fixed that the paint doesn't match on.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. although this is pearl topped with abalone flake, I don't think you can beat Mike Young's 1960 Chevy that Gary Howard built
    ExoticaRJ03pic5.jpg favorites-1.jpg ExoticaRJ03Pic2.jpg

reagen, Knghtcadi, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I love 3 stage pearl paint. My go-to supplier is Paint with Pearl - https://www.paintwithpearl.com/

I've shot some of their ghost pearls over black, and they turn out phenomenal, and the regular pearl pigments are great too. You really can't beat the price. Just mix your mid-coat (pearl coat) as clear with pearl, and you're on your way. Be careful not to use too much! :)

Mike

51 BIRD, belair and Roothawg like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

All of the items mentioned will have to be bought anyway, so adding pearl won't break the bank for me. There's nothing special about pearl that requires special sealers etc. It's just good bodywork/paint practices.

egads and Moriarity like this.
  17. Mark has the answer. The reason you see so many tans is there is more pearl than you want. A teaspoon of dry pearl in a mixed quart is plenty. If you're happy with your white, scuff it and shot the pearl-clear mix and then shoot atleast 1 coat of plain clear over it. Exp. on a panel board to find the mix that you want. :)

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wish I could. It’s getting nosed decked and some rust bubbles repaired.

Mark, I have shot some pearls. I think I have that exact tub in my cabinet. I did a set of ghost flames on a white 53 F100 back in the 90’s.

Moriarity likes this.
  19. Many factory colours require a tinted sealer as part of the paint process now because many of the colours are so transparent and that is part of the finished colour.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Most of the sealers I use are tintable. I see your point though.

Moriarity likes this.
  21. oldolds

oldolds

Roothawg likes this.
  22. I like the Cadillac White Diamond...is the paint on there now bc c
    This.....shoot a pearl Mid Coat on it and re coat with straight clear..

Roothawg likes this.
  23. White Diamond is beautiful, I painted a vintage Kenworth with it once, looked amazing in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

egads and Roothawg like this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

I vote for the cad white diamond pearl

egads and Roothawg like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A question from someone that has never sprayed pearl.......do you have to have a larger tip like you do with some metalflakes to spray pearl? Or does it spray with a standard sized tip? I've sprayed metallic paints before with a normal sized tip and they came out fine. I was thinking the other day about doing my car in gold the same as it is now, but with some pearl added in the clear.

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The 39 Pontiac is Toyota/ Lexus Snow white pearl, the 57 is Cadillac diamond white pearl on the front , but if you look close the head light rims and grill bar pieces are a different shade . There are two shades of Caddys diamond white one has a silver platinum cast and the other has a more golden tone. Found that out when I ordered more color to paint the grill pieces, same year and name different paint codes. Turned out the owner liked the contrast lol. The Harley tank is Ford Performance white pearl. All tri coats and all easy to blend and repair. I like the Snow white pearl the best because the primary white base is one of the cleanest I have found and reflects well through the pearl mid coat which is white pearl. For something with a reddish or rose shade I would take the mid coat formula and exchange the white pearl for the garnet pearl on the mixing bank. Your paint supplier can show you the different pearls on their mixing bank and by using the o e m formula you have a consistent match as appose to adding a teaspoon of this and a quart of that. Do a let down panel by shooting the base color and then spray one mid coat, mask a 2" area ,spray a second , mask then a third ,a fourth ect. Apply a coat of clear and choose your favorite shade. I find usually 2 coats gives me the effect I want . much more than 3 and I think it starts to get muddy looking. And since you have a oem style formula and application process, repairs are easy. Unless you decide to paint it mid 90's Ford laser red, then you need a full repaint! Worst tri coat color ever!! lol Looking forward to your progress. Larry

27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Lol my pictures look like shit online! But the real colors are all great choices. Larry

28. No bigger tip needed, it’s a powder that gets mixed with clear, sprays the same as clear.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Geez, if you're going to paint a car a custom color, why look at factory paints? As mentioned by Moriarty, et al., go with HOK custom paint. White base, over white sealer, (cheap even!) then put a few coats of red flip flop over it. They sell it as a concentrate, powder and pre mixed. It will be the only expensive product in the line up. Then straight clear over it. You can vary the concentration, or number of coats to achieve a subtle, to wild effect of the pearl.
    But of course, the absolute BEST job would be to find some old Murano red pearl for the midcoat!

K13, 51 BIRD and Roothawg like this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thanks. I've read about pearl for years, but not much info on application or equipment. Might try it sometime.