Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1936 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 427z06, Aug 3, 2018.

1. 427z06

427z06

I need some advice. I have a 1936 Ford running a hotrod 59ab motor, and stock drivetrain. I am trying to figure out the best transmission to run. It currently has the stock 3 speed, but keeps popping out of gear. I have been thinking about installing a 4 speed, but that will bring expenses with rear end and driveline. Is there anything else you can recommend that might be a better solution? Any ideas would be welcome.

2. alchemy

alchemy

If you like old cars, rebuild the stock transmission. If you like new cars, convert to late model stuff.

Anybody with a name like 427 Z06 is not going to like an early Ford drivetrain, and will be back on the HAMB in a month complaining that it's like driving a "Grandpa car".

3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Any newer conversion is going to cost you a bunch .I did it in a 36 coupe.T-5,all the adapters + CE tranny mount,'57 wagon 9 " rear with CE leaf spring kit etc.Removing the center saddle was a bitch on my back then splitting the wishbone.The T5 just barely fits in.Had to change the tailshaft to move the shifter forward,Then you have to deal with the emergency brake.Was it worth it -yes IMO.Full synchro trans and it drove like a dream.Simplest and cheapest would be to pull that tranny and send it to Van Pelt and have them go thru it.That still won't change the way it drives.It just will shift nicely and not pop out of 2nd.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  4. Squablow

Squablow

The obvious choice is a '39 trans, has the much better gears and will bolt in place of your current trans without modifying anything. It's a 1 year only design, '38 has the earlier style gears and '40-up went to a side-shift arrangement.

5. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Worth the expense and effort to put in an RTS trans or T-5 trans in it. The other option is a toploader with the Jeep top. You can get a 4 speed toploader where 4th is overdrive. All much better than the stock 3-speed.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I wouldn't think with a name like 427z06 expense would be a problem, smileyface........................

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Mac Van Pelt rebuilt a 39 tranny for me years ago.
    Most cost effective choice.
    Rear end gearing will also give you better highway gears.m

8. 2935ford

2935ford

I guess understanding what a "better solution" means?
    You don't like the stock 3 speed or just the popping out of gear that bothers you (in that case fix it)?
    Or, you just want something else?

I have had T5's pop out of gear as well.

Personally, a flatty (even hop'd up) and the ol' 3 speed is a nice combo.

cajunfirehawk likes this.
  9. 427z06

427z06

I would love to have the C6 Z06 drive train in the car, but I actually like old. I had a stock 1936 Ford 5 window that had 31,000 actual miles. This one has more power but The transmission just is not up to the power plant. So far best solution seems to be get a 1939 transmission and have it rebuilt. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

uncle buck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. 427z06

427z06

I do like the C6 Z06 drive train, but I also like old cars. Just lots more work to drive.

11. 427z06

427z06

Thanks, I think I am going to go on a search for a rebuilt 39 transmission. Then might start thinking
    About a little taller rear end gearing.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Don't narrow your search to only a 39 trans. The pickup transmissions all the way up through 52 had the same case, gears (some ratio differences), and shifter housing as a 39, but had an open drive output. You could find a side loader from a 40-48 and transfer the closed drive output shaft to the pickup case and be all in for half the cost. A true 39 trans usually comes at a premium for the guys who don't know how to get the same result through other methods. Or maybe you'll get lucky and find one for a reasonable price.

13. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I forgot to ask if you still had the stock 36 steering box.? If so while doing this, step up to a 37-39 steering box.Its a remarkable improvement .There is one on the auction site and very reasonable.Send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It's my understanding that you can have your 36 tranny rebuilt with the 39 tranny components, gears, bearing, etc and be just as good as a 39.

15. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Yes but you need the 39 shifter or have the fork changed in your shifter if that is possible.

16. alchemy

alchemy

It's not possible to correctly install the 39 size shifter fork in the 36 shift housing. If he could find a shift housing from an F-1 and the gears/guts from any cheap sideshift trans from 40-48, he could in essence create a 39 trans.

RODIST likes this.
  17. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Thanks for that info, alchemy. So the 39 tower would work on that case if the gears were swaped out?

18. alchemy

alchemy

The 39 (passenger) thru 52 (pickup) double-detent shifter housing will bolt onto all the top load cases 32 thru 52. And the 3" wide double-detent fork will work on all the 39-52 gearsets. The problem is that some of the larger cluster gears won't fit into the early cases without a bit of clearance grinding inside,and some creative assembly methods. Buy the Mac VanPelt book and he tells all about these peculiarities.

19. johndee138

johndee138
    from Atlanta GA

I have a T-170 RTS 4speed trans in my 36 behind the 39 flathead and in front of the 2 speed Columbia with a 3.78 R&P gearing setup. I had to shorten the drive tube and shaft and remove the stock trans mount, but it all fits and I have full synchro mesh gearing and you cant tell by looking unless you get under the car. PM me for all the finicky details.