Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheater Slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stugotz, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Stugotz

Stugotz

Well, I did my homework and measured everything twice for my 63 Galaxie. Picked out the tires I wanted and was ready to order them. Hurst Cheater Slicks with 2” white walls and the dirt pattern. They are apparently out of business. Damn. I hate when that happens.

BigO and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They closed several years ago from what I understand. I think there is a thread on it here.
    Cheater slicks are cool looking on the street until you get caught in a rain storm and then they aren't any fun at all. Exciting but not fun.

belair likes this.
  3. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Try Towel City. They have a web sight

BigO likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can add whatever siping and tread you desire to the Towel City tires. Nice people to deal with. If you don't see what you want on the chart, ask them to build it for you. I wanted 29" tall slicks, only 9 inches wide, on new tires not used carcasses, with 2 rows of shoulder siping. Their answer? "No problem sir!"
    https://www.towelcityracingtires.com/vintage/pie-crust-cheater-slicks.aspx

AHotRod, wraymen, belair and 5 others like this.

5. Stugotz

Stugotz

Thanks. I’m going to check them out. I appreciate the referral. I’m definitely going to get some siping so I don’t die if I ecounnter some water.

6. 52chev

52chev

I just got some 15 x 8.5 inch cheater slicks. What width rim do you guys recommended.... 8 or 8.5 cheers

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

touchdowntodd likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the wheel width less than the tread section personally. Makes the side walls look better, stand taller in my opinion.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I have a pair of Nittos on my OT Lightning. Mickey Thompson also makes excellent street slicks. MTs are softer so they will have a better bite but the Nittos will last longer.

9. If you want “the look” the towel city tires are really nice and a quality piece. I needed something. Smaller for my 65 Falcon so I went with the M & H “muscle car “ dot tire.. they look great and fit perfect on my Falcon...and those damn cars are not easy to fit tires on

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  10. Stugotz

Stugotz

Yes, I am definitely trying to achieve a certain look. Whitewall cheater slicks are what I’m after. I’ve narrowed it down to Towel City and Radir. I’ve read good things about them both.

11. Be sure to show us what you get.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. I’m not wanting to rain on your parade but.....whitewall cheater slicks on a 63 Galaxie...please review the pics below as good for thought. By 63 it’s likely they wouldn’t have run a white wall slick...a red line yes, but not a 2” or more ww...your car...I get it...but please do some investigation before you drop your cash...google image search super stock Galaxie, Fairlane, Comet, Falcon and get some ideas...good luck

Attached Files:

dan31, Deuces and young'n'poor like this.
  13. Sorry had to do it...when I was doing my Falcon I looked at the magazines and books I had for the time frame...here’s some pics for ya and my Falcon and the car that inspired it

Attached Files:

Deuces and belair like this.
  14. Radirs are a all new tire. Fowel cities are recaps. If you don't like white walls turn them to the inside and use tire blackening on the white part. It completely disappears.

15. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Towel City recaps using new cores,I believe, and in many different sizes.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the interest of clarity, they offer re caps on new tires for an upgrade in price. The standard tire price is on a used carcass. Worth the price in my opinion for the new tire.
    Mis-type or clever pun? Either way I liked it.

17. What about the date code some people worry about?

18. Stugotz

Stugotz

D15FA2A6-7A98-49A2-8E7E-473BC3FC7DAE.jpeg E6CC794C-DCCC-41A8-AAF4-590D9F54A088.png E6CC794C-DCCC-41A8-AAF4-590D9F54A088.png View attachment 4044387 I have no doubt that you are correct Loveoftiki. The white wall cheater slicks aren’t “exactly” what might have been on there during that time. Close enough. I’m not doing a concours restoration on it. The car was only $1500 after all. I like the look of them and that’s ok with me. I ordered the firestone cheater slicks because I like the look of them. I got the 10.00-15’s. They are 30x12 I believe. I bought wheel vintiques series 12 smoothies in a 15x8 with 4” of backspace as well. The 8” rim is actually 9” lip to lip. Gives me 2 1/4” clearance on either side. It’s going to be a tight fit but I measured and even put a mock-up rim on to double check. I think it will be ok. I will cut the hell out of the wheel well if I have to. It’s going to look badass I hope. Has to be better than the little 205/75/15 weenies that are on the rear now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  19. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

They did use white wall in 63. All those pics are modern, not 63.

20. Stugotz

Stugotz

I think it looks cool as hell. Period correct or not.

Attached Files:

21. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

But it is period correct

22. Looks like they fill up those wheel wells nicely and gives ya a rubber rake