Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway 32' frame for 28'

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by settoon3, Sep 21, 2018.

1. settoon3

settoon3

Does anyone have any input/experience on the 32' frame for a Model A from Speedway? My channeled 28' is currently sitting on an amateur job and I would like to clean it up a bit. Would the channeled car even fit on the new frame? The other option is to pull of the body and clean the welds, install better crossmembers, and replumb the lines and paint. a few pics..

Attached Files:

• 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
    • frame.jpg
      frame.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
  2. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep the speedway frame is a highboy frame not intended for a channeled car.
    I'm just going to say a big part of having a Model A body on a 32 frame these days at least is having the frame show and not channeling the body over the frame. That means dropping the floor back down so it isn't channeled.
    If I wanted to keep it channeled I'd be talking to someone like Rusty at Dirty's speed shop in the Dallas area or another frame builder who turns out nice frames to build a frame for the A that I could swap the pieces I wanted to keep over to. As far as that goes he will build you a 32 style frame for a decent price. Before my wife said that my 31 Vic has to have fenders I was looking into having him build a frame for it. Funny thing is the frame was right close to the same price as the fenders and running boards from Brookville.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For a really kool perimeter frame for a channeled car check out Boling Brothers.com and click on chassis and frames.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Nailhead Jason and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Why not pull it apart and see just how bad that frame is? If it just needs some finishing and new crossmembers it seems the solution is a little elbow grease.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international likes this.
  6. 32' frame for a 28' car?:confused: I thought this was about a '32 car frame at first but I really don't know.:confused::confused::confused:

7. When I put a 28 Model A roadster body on a Deuce frame I made a filler piece to fit between the frame and the body, the 28 body is flat across the bottom and the Deuce frame has a slight curve on top of the rails.

You can fab up new subrails to make the body fit like it should. HRP

8. settoon3

settoon3

Thanks for the responses. I thought a custom frame would be out of my price range, and shipping for the boiling bros. frame kept me away from those. I'll certainly keep Dirty's in mind though, and get a quote if i really get the itch, Dallas is only 6hrs away.

Elbow grease is likely the answer, but i'm just learning to weld and don't know if the frame should be the best place to try it out!

The car was channeled when I got it, and i could go ether way. I though about polyurethane body mounts to allow for more of a reveal if i used a 32' style frame. Will a highboy frame be too wide to fit on the inside of the body panels?

9. settoon3

settoon3

The speedway add says it's for a Model A, so i assumed it was flat?? I do see the curve in the picture though.

10. lake_harley

lake_harley

settoon3....I think the car looks pretty good as it sits now. The idea of cleaning up and re-doing some things that don't suit you and calling it a day wouldn't seem like a bad plan to me. If you're not comfortable with your welding skills you could always do the prep work and have a qualified welder come to your place, or take it to them and let them do the critical stuff.

Lynn

39 Aaron NZ and shadetreerodder like this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I understand your pain with the Boling Bros frame. By the time it got to you it would be about1850.00 with center k, mtr and trans mts. I've been s dealer for several years and have never sold one as the shipping is a killer.

12. four5four

four5four
    from omaha

I have a JW Rod Garage 32 chassis that pinched and has a flat rear crossmember for a model A. The body just fits over the frame and with hat channels flipped to the top of the original sub rails, it has about an 1.25"- 1.5" of channel.

20180204_165545.jpg 20180115_165835.jpg

13. settoon3

settoon3

Thanks for the pic four5four. I like the direction yours is headed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. grdra1

grdra1

I say rebuild yours as everything is basically there, Im in a similar position and will be doing my frame soon, I will be adding k members, re mounting the rear, new brakes, exhaust, etc - will post many pics as I go along and it should cost far less than a new frame. There is enough info on this awesome site to guide you, do what you can yourself and have someone weld for you. There is also heaps of youtube stuff on welding, its just practice and preparation and you will increase your knowledge and skills, this is very rewarding. Go for it, Glen P2200277.JPG P4080380.JPG