Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects louisb's AV8 Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by louisb, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Your tranny mount height looks very close to mine, maybe just 1/2" or so lower than mine, and I'm using pretty much the same set up as you. I trimmed the top of the tranny mount tangs just below the bolt holes. I'm thinking about welding on some tabs on the X member and making the tranny mount bolt to the tangs so I can unbolt and remove the tranny mount.
    Aaron

louisb likes this.
  2. louisb

louisb

Thanks for the input. I am still playing around with it. I also want to make it unbolt from the frame to make it easier to remove.

--louis

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I see we have some the of the same stuff going on. Nice work!

louisb likes this.
  4. Looks good! Keep the updates coing.

Go 'Noles! My son graduated from FSU.

louisb likes this.
  5. louisb

louisb

Finally got a chance to spend some time in the garage this weekend. Installed the '39 trans cross member.

Some times I feel that building hot rods is all about filling holes and drilling holes. One of the holes in the x-member was right were I needed the trans cross member to mount. So a little cutting, welding and grinding fixed that problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was modifying the '39 cross member to fit. I ended up welding up the stock holes, including one that was a little off, and redrilled them for 3/8 bolts. Then trimmed them down some to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine and trans finally sitting in their permanent home.

[​IMG]

I had started to save up for a body but the Tax Man made a visit and took it all, then he took some more.Such is life. Now my goal is to buy one at Hershey in October. Still debating a coupe vs roadster body. It will probably end up depending on what I can afford. Next up will be the front suspension.

Thanks,

--louis

Mart, biggeorge, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looking good man!

louisb likes this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

like the use of a stiff drink as a level... multi tasking

waxhead and louisb like this.
  8. louisb

louisb

Mocked up the front suspension this weekend. I ended up buying a new front and read spring from
    Mike's "a" Ford-Able Parts. My original springs have some pretty heavy pitting so I decided to pop for new ones. I didn't see the point in paying an extra $45 for a reversed main spring when I can do it myself in about 20 minutes. Pressed in some oil-lite bushings from Limeworks and then reamed them to .5". Also removed 3 leaves.

[​IMG]

She is set up at ride height and I think it is a couple of inches higher than I want. I am hoping the new spring will settle a little. If not I will have to figure out what to do. I want the frame to end up level with the spindle when done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to mount the wishbone end mounts.

Thanks,

--louis

Mart likes this.
  9. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Great looking chassis. Any more progress?

10. louisb

louisb

Hi RodNoc,

Not really, at least not with this chassis. Check my 29 roadster build thread in my sig to see what I am working on now. I still have the chassis and am thinking it will end up under a late '50s style full fendered '30 Tudor one day.

Thanks,

--louis

11. belair

belair

Love the colors and the front view with the headlights, light bar and the fins on the heads. Thanks for the update, and keep on keeping on.