Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A-V8 build sequence?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Pothole

Pothole

In building an AV8 guided by Fern Tardel's book I was wondering if anyone out there who is familiar with the book can guide me in the build sequence. The build is a 31 coupe with a 59ab flathead. The first step was to install engine mounts followed by the K member installation but in reading through that section I learn that the rear end, torque tube etc. needs to be connected to insure alignment. Problem is my build is stripped to the frame with only the body(and engine mounts) remounted on it. My question is can I install the K member without the torque tube/rear being installed or should I skip to the rear end section which requires a lot of fabrication and then go back to the K member. I searched the book trying to find a recommended build sequence but couldn’t fine one. Having said that can someone recommend a good sequence for me to follow that will keep me from taking one step forward and 5+ backward. As always thanks for your consideration.
    Pothole

2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Are you using a model a frame? Stock rear and torque tube?
    I have not seen the Tardel book but many have said there is a mistake in there about where to put the motor mounts.
    I would mock up the drivetrain and rear in your frame, measure a million times, THEN weld up your mounts. Good luck

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks wheeldog, Stock frame, 37-40 Banjo rear end and torque tube. I will search for the mounts correction, following the book they were really tight, had to shave a couple of bolts. It didn't call for welding but I had already decided to weld sections of them. The transmission is a 39 and as mentioned the flathead is a 59ab. 100_3908.JPG

4. If you using a model A banjo axle and torque tube . You should build from the back to the front .
    Install banjo and torque tube then you can spot your K member followed by trans and motor .dont bolt or weld the K member yet, mock everything up encluding the front motor mounts .
    Keep everything centered and level . If you running a fuel tower and mech pump you will have to dolly the fire wal ever so ligthly to clear . I made a S pipe on the tower to clear the fire wall . photo attached isn't mine but it gave me the idea .
    Steering box and column another story to clear headers

Attached Files:

Phil55Kratz likes this.

5. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks, the rear is a later model 37-40 with torque tube. I am switching gears and doing as you recommend- back to front. I know better than to assume but I did in thinking the book was laid out in build order. So far the build has been one surprise after another which I would guess is par.