Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Dodge Starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hibish, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Hibish

Hibish

I have a non start issue on my 48 Dodge Custom. Just clicks when I push the ignition switch. I believe I ruled out electrical problems and advice from others infer a bad starter. I jumped over the starter relay directly from battery to starter and I didn't hear the starter engage or spin or even click. Ultimately I suspect I might be having engine turning issues which I am continuing to investigate, however I pulled the starter out and bench tested it. It seems to spin well, but I don't see the bendix drive pop forward. Seems to me it should. I am curious if it should. I can force it downward with my fingers, but it doesn't stay or lock. I am not overly familiar with a starter from this era. Can anyone she some light on this for me?

2. Welcome to the help desk.
    Who are you?

3. Hibish

Hibish

I am new user to the site. My name is David Hibshman. I suspect I may have posted this to the wrong forum.

4. F&J

F&J

You posted in the correct place.

can you put up a pic of the starter so we can see what type of Bendix/starter drive it has?

I assume the car is in your avatar, so we can assume the engine is not stuck from rust. Stick a bar or big screwdriver in the hole where the starter goes, to push the gear teeth to see if the motor turns OK without too much force on the tool.

hang in there, someone will help if you can do the above things and report back here.

5. Hibish

Hibish

starter.jpg Thanks. I acquired the car last fall. I have driven several times this summer as recently as mid-august when i started having these starter problems. I can turn the engine by hand using the fan blades, but it's not easy. It's slightly easier with the spark plugs removed. Starter pic attached. Yep, the car is in my avatar.

6. I assume you do not have the stomp pedal type starter. I had a flathead six dodge with that type starter and the starter drive was bad. I looked and couldn't find one. Then I learned that Massey tractors use the same starter drive. and bought a brand new drive at the local massey tractor dealer. If your attempting to start up a long setting engine. Pull the plugs. and fill the cyls with Marvel Mystery oil. or auto trans fluid & diesel mix. pull the oil pan to be certain its nor full of crud Like the pan and screen pictured. M farmall sludge 002.JPG M farmall sludge 003.JPG

7. Hibish

Hibish

Thanks. It has a push button starter and the car hasn't been sitting. I was driving it as recently as mid-august this year. I didn't hear any odd starter or engine sounds. Just came home from a show, parked it in the driveway and turned it off. 10 minutes later I went to move it in the garage and it just clicked when I pushed the starter button. 2 days later I banged on the starter and it started up. Another day later more clicks. I had the battery tested showing it's OK. I tested with voltmeter and I am getting 5.4+ volts (it's 6 volt positive ground) to the starter when pressing the button. I replaced the starter relay since they're pretty cheap. Started up 5 times in 2 more days afterward with no issues and I thought I had it solved. Another day later and more clicks. This time banging the starter isn't working. Jumped from battery to the starter post and I got nothing, not even clicks. I pulled the starter out and bench tested it. It spins fast every time in the right direction, but I don't see the bendix popping forward - like I see in videos of modern starters. It seems like it is stuck forward - unless I am mis-understanding how this starter works.

8. Well it appears you have elemanated everything except for the starter drive. your starter is the same as the one I installed the tractor bendix on. Time for you to take the starter apart and give it a inspection. possibly new brushes and bushings in addition to a drive are necessary?

F&J likes this.
  9. A fully charged 6 volt battery in good condition should show about 6.4 volts with no load on it. But that's only half the story. It should be load tested to determine how much work the battery can perform in actual use.

But to answer your question... Your battery maybe failing. The starter may be failing. You may have issues with your battery cables. Make sure the cables are of the proper gauge for a 6 volt system and that all the terminals and connections are clean and tight. Make sure all your grounds are in place as well.

It might be worth trying find an old auto electric starter/generator shop in your area and have them test and rebuild this starter. Rural areas with a lot of farm equipment tend to support these types of businesses, especially for 6 volt systems.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Sounds to me that your starter needs new brushes. Also emery cloth the brass segments that the brushes ride on.

11. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

+1 on making sure the battery cables are the correct gauge for a 6v system. More times than not that is the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ClayMart and Hollywood-East like this.
  12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

If you're shorting the solenoid an nothing, I'm another for cable/battery connection, I have a ol' Willys I use as the poor man's side/side, an connections are time/time the issue, I would run jumper cables from battery to starter an proceed.. those positive ground cars still make my mind hurt when I think about wiring...

13. And just to make sure the OP is looking at this the right way, both the positive and negative cables on a 6 volt system should be of a noticeably larger gauge than what you're used to seeing on newer 12 volt vehicles. Your 6 volt car requires twice the amperage to perform a given task compared to a 12 volt system. If you have to replace cables look for something like 2/0 gauge.

14. 56C3B6

56C3B6
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY

If I remember correctly the starter drive retracts when the engine starts and spins it faster, so on the bench the drive pops out but doesn't retract back.

F&J likes this.
  15. Hibish

Hibish

I know it's been a couple of years, but I came across this again almost 2 years later and I realize I never sent an update or my thanks for your replies. My apologies for the long delay. Thanks much for the many helpful replies. I replaced incorrect cables with 2/0 cables when I bought the car as I recognized the ones installed were too small. I had also by-passed the solenoid to go directly from batter to starter and it didn't help. I finally sent the starter out for a rebuild and upon re-installing it my start issue was resolved. Happy to report it was still starting right up until last week (2 years later), but this time it isn't the starter.

Budget36, 6inarow, ClayMart and 2 others like this.
  16. It's never too late to reply with a progress report. Thanks for the update.

Start another thread if you get stumped with your current problems.
    ;)

17. If I have a suspect starter, I go right to my local auto electric shop. The last one was for my Ford and he did a nice job on it for $55.