Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford exhaust routing questions, 283 w/ 55/56 manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, Sep 16, 2018.

1. F&J

F&J

A long time friend turns 60 next month, finally bought his life long dream build, the exact model and year...after I took him out for a few hours in my hotrod (I set the hook..lol). It is 40 Ford coupe that has no motor/trans, but it has the passenger side 265 manifold and exhaust pipe still in the chassis.

Question is that I did search here for, does he need another 265 manifold for the missing driver side, or can he use that 265 manifold on the driver side to clear the steering box?, then add a center dump on the passenger side? (He wants all older parts not headers or later model manifolds)

..I have only seen a cell pic of that 265 manifold he has, and it has no generator mount, so I assume it is a passenger side, and if so, do you "need" to use that on that passenger side? I thought a center dump works on the passenger side? (we don't care about a generator mount right now, just need to get the exhaust figured out)

...and where did you find room for the driver side exhaust pipe, if using stock steering box/pedals, but with a Muncie or T-10?

Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

wow...an early sbc in a 40, and no replies in a full 24 hours?

Hey,.... maybe I should change the title to "hot lonely single girl who really likes old hotrodders needs help with a 40 coupe"
    :oops:

40ragtopdown likes this.
  3. RAK

RAK

Looked forever for 55-56 maniflods for my 40 and couldn't find any that weren't priced beyond my means so I bought 3 different rams horns for both sides. Plan is to use a straight down on the pass. side and a 60's pick up driver side that angles back on the driver side. I tried the popular pick up pass. side on the driver side so it angles forward and it seems to be more complex to route the pipe. Look around & you should be able to find the 60's pick up manifolds cheap, I got a couple in perfect condition free.

Rich

Doctorterry and F&J like this.
  4. Take a look at @RainierHooker 's thread on his 39. It goes into a bunch of detail on the exhaust and mounting the engine with an adapter to the early ford trans. Plus the exhaust routing. I would recommend looking for a Driver side 55 56 exhaust manifold, it does make the routing easier. I actually have one for sale in the classifieds now. But look at this thread. It should answer a bunch of your questions.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ticality-1939-ford-early-custom.968376/page-7

F&J likes this.

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

With my 348, I originally swapped the stock headers over, drivers on passengers etc, which placed the exit on the drivers side in front of the steering box. The really tight bit was trying to run it thru the chassis x member around the brake pedal, its super tight. This was 2" pipe. The brake pedal would touch the pipe at full travel, but if that happens, you've got bigger problems. I've changed it all now tho, I've been making fenderwell headers, so the pipes now go no where near the pedals. Note, this pic was with the flathead in, pre 348, but pedal space issue is the same.

Attached Files:

F&J likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would look for the drivers side manifold to match.. I couldn't sell a decent pair for $40 last week at Springfield swap meet.. eBay has them quite frequently.. I decided to keep my pair...

stillrunners and F&J like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

Thanks for the many replies, pics, suggestions... and I did open the link that Jason put up that shows what both 265 manifolds look like, and in the car. That, and the pic of neilswheels driver side exhaust pipe shows exactly how to run that pipe.

I did put a early Olds 303 in my 40 coupe, (long gone, so I can't look at a 40 here at my shop) but I ended up running a crossover pipe and ran single exhaust on the passenger side....so this info & pics are what he needed... Thanks again.

edit, I just called Ray the owner at 8:19PM about the help from Hamb, and he was already asleep! He said "Thanks" to you guys too. Geez, what's he gonna do when he gets to my age? LMAO.

8. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Here's how my old 39 was when I got it. Had a small block in the late 50s with what I assume was 265 manifolds. (Engine and manifolds were long gone when I got the car a few years ago.) They had hammered in some clearance in the left inner fender for the generator. image.jpeg

F&J likes this.
  9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

If you cant find a 55 56 manifold one of these might work I don't remember what it came off of maybe you can run the numbers and find out. 20171112_114742.jpg

10. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

What does it look like? I was told that the one I am using for a door stop is a 55-56 exhust. It does not have a generator mount, but kind of like a ram horn with the dump set off towards one end instead of center. I took it to a swap meet and everybody said it was rare 55 exhust, but nobody paid my $40.00 asking price. If it will fix your problem, let me know.

11. yep...think GM came back with that same style in the 90's on the trucks....

F&J likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have this one with generator mount. It had the writing on it when I bought it, not really sure what it came on. IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2047.JPG

F&J likes this.