Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Haunting images of cars caught in the California wildfires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came across an article on MSN that discusses photos of cars caught in the California wildfires. The photographers are using sales of the images to support victims of the fires. Here is an example of their work:

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...rnia-wildfires/ss-BBNhWXO?ocid=HPCDHP#image=1

Many of the images are HAMB friendly but some are not so that is why I am only posting the link and not all of the photos.

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg wow...that's smarts..many were insured...many probably not..

3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it was hard to look at those photos, not just the cars but the buildings and other personal property, and think of the heartbreak that many people are experiencing. 44 people lost their lives in these fires...it really makes you think.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

We definitely live in fear!!! Our house has been burned over twice!!! It sucks, nothing good comes of it, and the insurance is never enough to put you back to square one. It's a losing proposition, but better than nothing at all....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for sharing . When I look over Craigslist in cars for sale in Redding first thought is are they burnt:( now.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - where is info on buying copy of pics? don't do facebook,etc - shortly there will be a lot of ocean salt damaged rides with extra 'patina'

Stogy likes this.
  7. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Here're a few pictures I took right after the fire in Santa Rosa. We were fortunate...the fire missed our street, but took out most of the neighborhood around us. Disney Cruise 10-2017 007.JPG Disney Cruise 10-2017 054.JPG Disney Cruise 10-2017 056.JPG Disney Cruise 10-2017 072.JPG Disney Cruise 10-2017 062.JPG Disney Cruise 10-2017 073.JPG More Fire 10-25-17 006.JPG More Fire 10-25-17 009.JPG

kidcampbell71, Jalopy Joker and Stogy like this.
  8. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

9. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything gone except your life and what you have on you...yeah you can rebuild but that musn't be easy and history that's gone forever and it ain't just the cars. Positive thoughts to all involved.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Some of the cars could be resurrected. That 62 I would clear after a good scrub down and put it all back together...Some of these cars just painful to see. Never doubt the hotrodders for putting stuff back together.....Good to see a photographer willing to do things for a good cause.

12. Wish I hadn't looked......

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Craig Owens - Thanks (I think) for pics

14. Heartbreaking images.:(

15. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

This is tough to see but remember, behind each of those cars is someones' home that is gone too. Well probably see similar photos after Florence leaves. Best of luck to all involved.

16. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Here's a little bit of a bright spot...Steve Johnson, who owns this 56 which was burned in the fires, lost his house and a bunch of cars, but he made it a grudge to get the 56 running again. The body doesn't look like it's beyond saving, but by the time you did body work, paint, glass, interior, chrome, etc, you could buy a nice Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 053.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 080.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 081.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 084.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 085.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 086.JPG Peggy Sue Cruise 6-9-18 091.JPG completed car for much less. With that, his goal was to go through the mechanical items and get the car running again. The rear wheels are the ones that were on the car when it burned. Wiring is just quick 'n dirty, what was needed to make it run again, seats were donated just to get it driveable, they weren't what was in it. Steve and his wife are rebuilding...their new house and shop are nearly completed. He's brought the 56 out for a few local shows and cruises. It sounds and runs great, but even though he gave it a thorough cleaning, his wife says you still end up with ash and debris all over yourself after a ride.

17. ^^^^Inspiration^^^^

INVISIBLEKID, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. MAN, I bet that is one stinky ride!

19. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Did all those cars buckle from the heat?

20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That '56 is awesome! and the sign of a "never give up" attitude. Congratulations to the owners! As lothiandon1940 said above, it is inspiring.

Did you notice the lenses from the parking lights that melted and fell down onto the bumper filler panel?

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

got a lil barf taste in my mouth.....

22. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

image.jpeg ...and speaking of wildfires...the fire that burned 13,000 acres and destroyed five homes in our mountain community in late July this year (Cranston fire) re-erupted THIS MORNING! (Friday sep. 14.) Today's fire was the second spot fire to erupt in the same vicinity. Our local fire dept. was on it almost immediately and had it extinguished in less than 30 minutes. I'm hoping this was not the work of a copycat arsonist, as was the origin of the original fire, (that guy was apprehended and awaiting trial), but criminy people. Our nerves are on edge to the max and we certainly don't appreciate seeing more fire up here.

23. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Sheet metal warps like crazy when it comes to fire, so while you could technically rebuild almost any car, it reaches a point where the economics of doing so are completely upside down.

We came so close to losing everything just last year. I had my grandson at my place and there's a knock at the door. It was a neighbor from around the corner. "there is smoke coming from your neighbor's back yard...a lot of smoke". I looked out my back door and thought to myself, "yep...there's smoke". I woke the baby up and just as I was going to head over and check it out, came another knock at the door. This time it was the fire dept. "The house next door is on fire. You have to get out now because your house is going to burn, too."

I have a room filled with beautiful vintage guitars. I have a shed filled with vintage old Schwinn tank bikes....some going back into the 1930's. All of them restored. I have several vintage cars on my property. By the time I got my grandson and dogs out of the house (dogs in my truck, grandson at a neighbors) the fire dept tried to block me from going into my house for anything else. "Try and stop me" I said. I rolled my Challenger out of the garage. I grabbed three of the rarest guitars. I grabbed a few other things.

The picture makes it look fairly tame and under control. When I first came out there was a fireball 75 feet into the air and a thick plume of smoke. By the time I was done grabbing what mattered... the fire dept had a huge engine out front. The ladder was extended high over the roof of my house. There was a fireman on the ladder and he was directing a huge plume of water down over the top of my house and all over the conflagration next door to me. They saved my house. It was close, though. The fire killed my mulberry tree and singed my shed...both of which sit between the neighbors house and mine. We were blessed. Our neighbors lost everything.

Attached Files:

24. Wow...fire on the west coast, hurricane on the east coast....boggles the mind!

Flogknaw likes this.