Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage price of cars seems down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-Linkin, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe it's the era/age of the buyers that actually control values other than the crazies on TV. I like 29-48's but would never own one and those older than already have them and those younger me with the right $$ want mid late 60's-70's muscle cars.
    I'm stuck in the 50's and love it. Give me a Tri-5 anything to be happy because that's what HS was for me.
    Stockers are nice but today is perfect body and trim with late model underneath and creature comforts inside. My 21 year old grandson is a ending Firebird kid and considered different from his buddies.
    I see 32's under $30K a lot here in So Cal and granted they are not Boyd, Chrisman, etc but no one seems to care. The super high dollar ones will maintain the best dollars but not actual costs for the most part. RR's don't even get a look from since it's not for me.....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Yes it sounds too good to be true. Arkansas has the best tax forfit auction procedure of all the states that I have researched. After two years of non payment the county accesor certifies the property to The Commissioner of state lands. The COSl then within 1 year offers the property at public auctions in some public place within the county where the property is located. and the former owner has 10 working days to redeem the property. and a 90 day statute of limitations to contest the sale on legal grounds. Any place not sold at auctions may be purchased 30 day after the sale. Any property not sold after two years of the public auction date you can make any offer and it will be considered. That house we just sold was offered at public sale with a minimum $6000.00 price. and it did not sell. two years after that sale my wife offered the COSL $417.00 a bank owned it and did not redeem it within the prescribed time period after she made the offer. So the COSL sold Debbie that house. We have bought land as low a $50 per acre. Now realtors with deep pockets usually buy the choice places and pay pretty high prices. They however will not bid on bank owned places. Doing so would black ball them and their clients would have difficulty obtaining a bank loan.

3. contspanko

contspanko

even FOOSE is recycling art and old builds on his page

4. 62rebel

62rebel

Speculation almost ruined the hobby. It has, actually , consistently ruined every aspect of what usually starts out as an enthusiast driven hobby.

zzford, Old wolf and F&J like this.
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just sold my 63 Impala a nut & bolt frame off restoration. Super nice car with all high dollar improvements. Took a year and a half to sell. Only one person came to see the car in all that time but he bought it. Never thought it would take that long to sell. The Streetrod market has really tanked. A friend of mine has been in a large club for many years. He said many club oldtimers are getting out of Streetrods and getting into 50-60's cars. Just attended the 2018 NSRA Nats and I'll bet post 48 cars are now outnumbering the pre 48's.

Gary

6. 34Larry

34Larry

I winter in Apache Junction Az. Make Barrett-Jackson on Fridays and have since 2008. I've noticed that great hotrod, streetrods have gone down in price, generally speaking, for most of those 10 years. The rest of the cars have vacillated up, then down. It can be a crap shoot with the billion dollar boys and their toy "collections", but for the rest of us it has been up maybe down, it can vary year to year.
    Hotrods are not what the generations behind us guy in their mid 60's on up, so the demand is not there to bring the bigger dollars. The baby boomers, (my kids and their friends and below, want Muscle.
    From what I'm reading here, I find it wonderful that prices are declining. This whole damned world has gone gunny sack as far as can determine.

7. 34Larry

34Larry

No that is not fugly, that thing is uking fugly! Holy shit can you even imagine pulling in to a Saturday night curse-in in that thing. OMG!!!!

8. frank spittle

frank spittle

Prices in the specialty car market have been up and down since the late 1980s. The lows have almost always been because of a down economy. This is the first time in memory prices are falling in a booming economy. Most of the long time enthusiasts I know believe prices will continue to fall and are not buying. Some are weeding out their collections at a loss.

9. If everyone in the world was blind. Would you care what your car, house ,wife or you looked like? These millenials (born in 1990 or later) only care about having the newest fad clothes or electronic gimmick phone. They are not future hot rodders & car enthusiast.

robracer1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I wished 32 Ford 5 windows would come down in price! I want a good body. Boy they are high even for junk.

11. You are so correct! I’m trying so hard to raise my son as a car guy, but with all of the electronic shit, I’m having a hellava time even getting him to come out in the shop. I asked my Dad, how did you handle it when my interests were not the same as yours? (Dad has always been into cars, but not modifying them like me until I became a mechanic) His reply was to hang on and keep trying to reach him anyway possible. I take him to all the shows I can.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm the proud father of 6 sons. My eldest. Rich, is a CNC programmer/rodder with 7 cars; second son Joe is U.S. Army captain, ret., not interested in cars, just bass fishing. Third son Kelly is a banker (Oregon) and has Porsches and motorcycles; Fourth son Tory is Inventory controller for large Calif. truck dismantlers, has 5 cars, from '50s to '70s. Fifth son Noah works on commercial aircraft in Northern Ca., is a Corvair enthusiast.
    Sons Rich, Tory, and myself have '55 F100s. All of them look alike, satin black, raked, newer drive trains...but we're ALWAYS looking for that great deal on an F100!
    (or '32 or '34 or...) Yes, we watch prices, (they appear to be dropping...)
    My grandsons are ALL car crazy, grandson Jake has sold his BMW and is halfway thru a '27 Hiboy roadster project, with reshaped '25 Dodge rails, Superbell tube front, 390 FE, etc.
    His Dad (Rich) let him drive Rich's '27 (racecar nose, partial bellypanned beauty) to his High School function, Jake went crazy.
    Exciting times around the extended household.....

bowie likes this.
  13. I have classes full of students that dig cars......they just don't understand the date cutoffs

14. I have always thought is would be cool to be an Automotive instructor. What do you mean by date cut offs?

15. papajohn

papajohn

I'm lucky. My 21 yr old son likes working on cars. He has a "vintage" tuner car, 1992 Nissan, but he also dreams of building the 1927 T Tudor on the side of the garage. Not sure it will be traditional, but it will be a hotrod. Some day.

16. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

This post is old AF and the slump in prices that the OP was talking about has long since vanished.

Prices in the classic car market are not just the victim of "speculators". In fact, the only thing that "speculators" have driven up prices on are bonafide performance cars and uber-rare original models with rare options. The more plebian models that most of us have are unaffected by that market. No one speculates in original 6 cylinder cars that have been converted to V8 power.

The truth about what is driving up classic car values is the fact that our cars are migrating overseas at an alarming rate. I had relatives visit from Denmark and Sweden last year. A great group of folks that are all heavily into classic american cars. Among their rides are a 1959 Coronet, a 49 Mercury, a 56 Plymouth and another Merc whose model year I cannot remember. They told me of a classic car festival that occurs in Sweden each year. 15,000 classic cars descend upon this festival. Most of them American.

My brother had a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang that he bought when he was a kid. He's not a gearhead or even a car guy, really and when he lost interest in the car, it began to molder as he dragged it around from place to place, leaving it ouside in the elements. When He sold it he was going to get raped and I stepped in and put a stop to it. I sold the car for him on Ebay. I got him 4 times what he was asking for it. The winning bid went to a guy in Holland. He had me receive parts for him and throw them into the car for shipment (so he could avoid some of the tariffs). I have videos. The car is racing around the streets of Europe now....fully restored. I wanted the car for myself, but my brother admitted to me that he could not accept the idea of watching me drive around in his car, once I restored it.

The escalating prices of classic/collector cars is due in large part to fact that the seemingly endless supply of American classics available for restoration is dwindling, due to cars being shipped overseas. People in other countries love our classics just as much as we do...and they're buying them up in droves.

17. 48, 64,72 cutoffs for some shows and sites like this. An old ride to them is a fox body or square body. Many of my students love older cars they just build what they can afford. They do engine swaps on newer computer controlled cars. I think that’s cool. Don’t worry I won’t post pics here

lurker mick likes this.
  18. I understand completely, thanks for the clarification. Anytime you can get young people interested in mechanical stuff it’s cool. My hats off to you and your students.

anthony myrick likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The pre 49 car economy has went down hill since this thread was started 8 years ago and shows no signs of recovering soon. Seems most buyers are hanging on to their money unless a smoking deal comes along. I'd like to sell down 3 of my deuces and just keep 2 to drive but I'm unwilling to lose my butt on the ones I'd like to sell so I suppose they'll still be sitting in my museum when I die for my kids to give away?