Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Headlights on a '40s era hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Hi guys,
    What headlights would be era-correct for a '40s hot rod. I didn't think Guides or King Bees were used until the '50s. So would rodders just have used stock OEM headlights in the '40s?
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

2. oldolds

oldolds

Here in PA the state inspection law changed about 1950 so that all vehicles needed sealed beams to pass inspection. I do not think it was highly enforced, given the number of older barn find cars I have seen with stock head lights. So I suspect both your choices would have been available in the 40's

3. The 'standardized' sealed beam headlight became required at the federal level in 1940. This was done because too many owners didn't replace damaged reflectors and/or lenses and light output could become severely diminished, plus the proliferation of designs also hindered the aftermarket from making readily available replacements. But these still weren't the sealed beams we are all familiar with today; these were basically the same basic design with a glass lens, metal reflector, and separate lamp, just in a 'standard' size and built as an non-repairable assembly. But the basic problem still remained; a chip hole in the lens or bad moisture seal would still allow the reflector to degrade if the lamp still worked. This design hung on until the early '50s when the 'modern' all-glass true sealed beam units appeared. At about the same time, some states started requiring sealed beams on all cars for safety reasons (too many older cars with degraded reflectors), so 'conversion' kits and aftermarket headlights because popular. These had existed since the '40s, but just weren't used much until the '50s.

4. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Any other thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

1940 was the first year sealed beams became federally mandated. Guide were available for sure, not sure about Arrow, King Bee, or the others.

nochop likes this.
  6. May I suggest obtaining a copy of Don Montgomerys "HOT RODS IN THE FORTIES".
    It will provide enough photo documented evidence you seek.

P.S. In the mid-to-late '40s a lot of Hot Rods used after market sealed beam buckets, 6 volts obviously.
    My PB Roadster has (6 Volt) Arrow buckets, I found NOS 30+ years ago.
    Can't say if they were available in the '40s, but certainly "period correct" for early '50s (i.e my build).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm not sure if they were available in the 40's/ I have BLC's.[​IMG][​IMG]

F&J and Stogy like this.
  8. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the best photo but I have BLCs also.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  9. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a better shot
    [​IMG]

Texas Webb and Stogy like this.
  10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'll second the Don Montgomery books, based upon those there was a pretty quick change over to sealed beams. The pre-war photos show the stock style headlights, but post war was just about all sealed beams. You'll see the sealed beam conversions in A headlights and the aftermarket conversions for 37-38 Fords, but most look to be Guide or BLC headlights.