Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are these some symptoms of a carb in need of a rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnnya101, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Was driving my Edsel today. Knew it lacks power and will stall if you press down on the gas pedal already, which I think are symptoms of needing a new carb.

Came across some other issues that I'm not sure if they are direct carb issues though today?

- Stalled at a stop sign. Actually, just let my foot off the brake, and slowly pressed the gas and it stalled. Haven't had this happen before. (This one I'm positive is a direct carb issue)

- Stalled pulling out of parking space... Multiple times. Pulled out of a parking space a little, put foot down, stall. Started again, foot down, stall. Repeat a few more times. Then I finally let it glide forward a few feet by itself and slowly put on gas, and it stumbled a bit and took off.

- Sounds like it wants to stall on corners.

- Fuel pump clicking loudly at random times and for random intervals. Noticed when driving and this happens it sounds like the car is going to stall and it stumbled and lurched a bit, but didn't stall. Hadn't happened more than a few times.

Do these point generally to needing a new carb, or does this sound like something else? I know this is probably a dumb question to most, but I'm new to this stuff... Getting a new carb either way, it really needs it, but looking for a confirmation on my thoughts. This is my first old car, and first one with a big powerhouse in it (410) with a carb, so not used to how these "feel" yet.

New fuel filter.

Truck64 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like you need to check your fuel supply.
    Maybe the pump is bad, or plugged fuel lines.

czuch and 54vicky like this.
  3. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Will do. Thanks for your input. This one converted to an electric fuel pump luckily!

4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I would troubleshoot.
    First though what about the fuel tank? Hopefully it's been replaced, as well as fuel lines. Then disconnect line going into carb and do a pressure and volume test. The volume test into a clean clear jar also look for trash.
    What is the carb? I would rebuild rather than replace.
    So many things to troubleshoot like vacuum leak(s).
    Main thing I think of with stalling like that is accelerator pump...no squirt. Look down carb, hold choke open (motor NOT running) and you should see fuel squirt when you manually open throttle.
    Choke system must be working properly also.

ClayMart and czuch like this.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

electric pumps can be bad as well as mechanical, also be sure the pumps pressure is right for your carb., some are real sensitive to pressure. Is the electric pump near the tank or near the engine? They are designed to push fuel not to pull it.

6. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

This one is by the engine. Not sure where they were stock? It has been replaced with the electric one.

Tank is probably original. Fuel lines appear to be replaced.

Holley 4 bbl, not sure which exact model yet. Whatever was stock.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Vacuum leak and/or bad accelerator pump diaphragm.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Get yourself a Shop Manual or two, or three. Ford, and generic. Start at the beginning of the "Tune-Up" procedure and study it. The very first test pg. 1 para. 1 is a cylinder compression test. It will tell you the internal health of the piston rings and valves, and if there are major faults. Without adequate compression it will never run very well no matter what parts are thrown at it. A mechanic's vacuum gauge is another must-have item, and analog voltmeter. Also a piston stop, it screws in place of #1 spark plug and allows verification of the "0" TDC mark on the crankshaft vibration absorber. Check and verify everything along the way, you need air, fuel, and spark in the right amounts at the right time. Take your time and pay attention to detail and it will run better and better than you thought possible, and you did it yourself.

jbrittonjr and 54vicky like this.
  9. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Just checked the accelerator pump, it's fine. The guy left the old mechanical pump installed, I know see.

Thanks Truck, I'll see what I can do.

Truck64 likes this.
  10. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

A 60 year old gas tank would have to be full of crud. I would disconnect fuel line going into carb and run it into a large clear glass bottle and see what you have.

Truck64 likes this.
  11. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

It sounds like you have some kind of issue with something in the fuel system, but exactly what isn't easy to know over the internet.

The pump pumping "hard" when the engine borderline stalls may mean the carburettor is flooding, drowning the engine in fuel, but it might as well mean the pump is broken and doesn't pump any fuel at that moment due to a stuck valve, or an air leak/incorrectly placed fuel pickup in the tank feeds the pump with air instead of fuel so the engine doesn't get enough fuel.

Another thing, there's a big difference between a dirty carburettor needing a good cleaning, and a worn carburettor needing a rebuild. You need to check the wear before you know what it needs, simple cleaning can go a long way.

clunker likes this.
  12. I'm not huge on electric fuel pumps myself. Try to run without it for a while. Like others mentioned, how clean is the gas? Old tanks can be a huge problem. Look at the rubber hose connections, they may be sucking air or collapsing. Take a picture of the carb, if its an Autolite they are easy to rebuild. Taking the top off will show any crap in the fuel bowls. Some cars of the era also had an anti-stall dashpot on the carb, those go bad and the car stalls all over the place.