Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Hot Rod Takes Pikes Peak..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 4, 2018.

1. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Its not allowed. You can not do a build thread or post on the Forum about it. This Thread was to let people know there was a editorial posted on the Jalopy Journal Home page. Why cant people understand that.....

2. Thanks for reaching out, J-B. Much appreciated and Happy (belated) Birthday.

I also wish to apologize for my perhaps excessively harsh commentary. I was just trying to keep us focused on "traditional" values I originally came to this site for, but apparently many others have different views regarding those values. Oh well.

I also appreciate and can understand difficulties or dare I say near impossibilities of coming up with "original" writing about cars, especially older/vintage ones. I have many dear friends in the (vintage automotive) journalism, from freelance photographers and writers to editors and publishers and have heard about these difficulties more often than I can remember.

I receive several gifted magazine subscriptions, but most I don't even bother to unwrap anymore, merely because I'm not interested in their same old, same old advertisements covering 50+% of the pages and also because I feel I've seen/read vast majority, if not all their feature articles dozens (or hundreds) of times before, not to mention same old, same old pictures always showing same/similar "generic" (i.e. looks good on print) or overly "artistic" (i.e. looks "cool" on print) shots, regardless of the car. And yes, all of my print media friends know my views, but that's not what the (paying) "public" expects/wants.

Some have even asked me to write, not only magazine articles but books about certain makes/models of vintage cars and guides to their restorations, but after 40+ years in the hobby, including 30+ years in it professionally, I feel I still don't have enough experience or knowledge to do that. Maybe some day.

To J-B, Ryan and rest of the HAMB staff : Keep up the good work ! :) (and those OT cars off my lawn !) :rolleyes:

3. I'm not going to go into whether or not this is 'trad' or any of that... but I will comment on his build style a bit.

He added a lot of 'aero' features to his car, and I have to wonder if they were really needed for Pikes Peak. Those more than anything spoil the 'early' look. I watched the in-car video as he went up the course, and he rarely exceeded 100 mph; I believe the peak speed he reached was under 120, most of the time he was at 80-90 mph or less. Do you really need ground effects at those speeds?...

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Absolutely a stunning a stunningly fast Hot Rod, would love to see a bunch of these built street legal.
    I Love it !

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve
    Check out some of these above^^^^^^^^^^
    I have only looked at a couple of these so far, there is one video of the car at Road Atlanta.
    I was curious about what transmission was being used, it is a Jerico 4 speed, sure is a lot less shifting on a road course than on the Pikes Peak course, that thing can really stretch its legs.

6. 392

If you say so. 10 years ago that picture would have been attacked from all angles, today we have to be nice. thanks to mods its been deleted.

TTR likes this.
  7. I had hoped same for the entire (OT) thread, but as you say ...

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. Geesus, if ya dont like it, report it and move the F on.

9. Floridia?

TTR likes this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread. I rode up Pikes Peak a few years ago when it was still about 1/3 gravel and it was good to relive that. Not a traditional car, but definitely a hot rod. I'm going up again when my avatar is done.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, the things we do to live in a civilized society!

12. i saw the car yesterday in person and asked Ray about the spoilers. his answer " i really love spoilers........................this is one hell of a car and it REALLY handles" IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4046.JPG

Stooge, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  13. i asked about the body, he started with a 36 chevy 2 dr sedan body. he said growing up watching the local stock cars race he loved the sedans [coaches] and had dreamed of building this car. drivers door worked and although i did not sit in it it looked quite comfortable to drive. it is a very well built car, inside, outside and underneath. IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4049.JPG IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4051.JPG

Stooge, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 thumbs up

chryslerfan55 likes this.