Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Shades of the Past, whos going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clubcoupe37, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ..........Need pictures of the aforementioned coupe.:D;)

2. TinShed

TinShed

Leaving MN in about 6 hours and headed down. I will be the guy in the white 1970 International Travelall... It has a red stripe if there are 2.....

Tim

dan31, Grandadeo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

FWIW, I'd rather wait until October and go to Cruising The Coast rather then go to the Shades. Lots more cars, way less jacked up diesel pick ups, definitely much better cruising then the grid lock traffic getting to and from Pigeon Forge.

Gary

TinShed likes this.
  4. garage2small

garage2small

If you stay someplace other than Pigeon Forge and take Hwy 411 from Knoxville thru Sevierville and turn on Veterans Parkway (449) it will take you directly to the Shades site with very little traffic,totally avoiding the Pigeon Forge nightmare.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. ............If I'm coming from the Chestnut Hill area (where Bush's cannery is) I was told to take a left @ the KFC before I get all the way into Sevierville. Does anyone know the name or number of the road I'm describing? Thanks a bunch.

6. ..........So very true. There are a lot of places to stay other than in Pigeon Forge. Dandridge, Newport, Morristown, Jefferson City are all reasonable drives.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

When we used to go to the Shades we used to rent a cabin in the hills behind the open field where they used to have the rod run. You can still do that with the run at Dollywood. Much better accomodations then motels on the strip.

Gry

8. Veteran's Pkwy. Four lanes, divided, no traffic. Straight to Splash Country, on the left.

9. Filled her up and ready to go in the AM. Shakedown or Breakdown, first time away from home for the flattie powered 32 Tudor pile-o-parts. Prayers said, fingers crossed, trailer standing by(?)
    IMG_3142-1-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  10. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Have a great time Bill.

11. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

Arrived in Pigeon Forge about 4:00 this afternoon, had a little rain for about 30 minutes. Walked the parkway after dinner for about an hour. Just good to be here. Will be at the gas pump show tomorrow morning.

12. ...........Thanks a bunch, hotrodA. Love your C-Dan.:D

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Question for a number of years this show also attacked car thief's and it seemed like every year someone car or their complete trailer was getting stolen.
    Has all that changed or do you still need to sleep in your car at night?

Jimbo

14. ...................Any time there is a big show, the thieves come out because they know there will be expensive cars and nice trailers. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible....and make sure you paid your insurance premium.

15. Congratulations Bill, I love the old beater!

Hope you have a great weekend and no problems. HRP

16. Made it and nothing fell off! Flattie runs cool(!) and brakes sorta stop.
    Perfect.
    20180906_095125.jpg

17. Bill,do you have a interior shot of your seats?

I also see you have decided to use a larger gas tank. :D HRP

18. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Bill your makin us old Early Irons proud.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  19. the-rodster

the-rodster

I used to go every year.

The last time was 2011.

The trooper said that my tail light wasn't working... it was.

But, he was right about my license being expired, the wife had to drive
    the rest of the way.

busted.jpg

lothiandon1940 and dan31 like this.
  20. Ha! The stock tank was spotless inside, so it got put to use.
    Here are the fronts. Original with old black, cracked T&R, with a white vinyl upholstery under the black.
    20180605_183555.jpg

21. Thanks Lee, but y'all would have been laughing today. Went to move the car this morning after returning some door glass (NEVER, EVER USE VINTAGE GLASS, LAWRENCEVILLE, GA) and it wouldn't even turn over. Battery good, starter not so good. Wouldn't push off or pull off. Buddy towed it to a spot, and I started a starter search. No luck, so made a banzai round trip home in the wife's car to fetch my spare. Four hours later, and it fired right off. First starter had locked up the Bendix in the flywheel!!! NEVER trust used shit!

22. Bill, I hope you don't have any more problems, maybe in 2019 you can finally join us on the All Deuce Run. HRP

Grandadeo likes this.
  23. Hope to, Danny.
    We were joking (?) at Shades about having to carry spare flathead parts, just in case.
    Everything from points to rebuilt short block! Good thing that there's a big back seat and floor board in a sedan. I'm just happy that the starter issue was easily(?) resolved. When I went home to get the spare stock starter, I was smart enough to grab the new PowerGen flathead starter, too. But it's not "trad"...…...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018