Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cross Country In A Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Aug 28, 2018.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Planning on a cross country trip in my '34 for next summer. Will probably build or buy a small tear drop to pull behind like this one that I saw on Facebook.

Don't know if this guy is on the HAMB or not but his car is very similar to mine. Looks like a pretty cool setup.

I've done long trips in hot rods over the years but never all the way across (done many times in OT vehicles).

Post up your x-country stories and photos, especially if you have a trailer. :cool:

40262169_10216345481165304_522654299667300352_n.jpg

TTR, williebill, rjones35 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you ever traveled with a camping type trailer behind OT truck? ever done much sleeping in small camper? drivetrain/suspension strong enough for added dead weight/wind resistance at varying elevations, etc? maybe start a list of things needed to be considered for trailer use -brake upgrade - large exterior mirrors - camera at rear of trailer - etc

55styleliner and rod1 like this.
  3. Check out any of @b-bop threads.
    Seasoned veteran of the road trip.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

Done it. And still do. Self made teardrop only weighs 700lbs don’t even know its back there.

rjones35 likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Couple years ago Bob from Newport Wipers pulled a teardrop like in your picture all the way from Eastern Missouri to California and back for the 75th anniversary of the LARS. Pulled it with a Model A pickup powered by a Chevy 4 cylinder. On the way back he went thru Colorado for a music festival in the mountains.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Yes, look up bebop on here. Also neverdunn. They are both veterans of long trips in their rods. There are others that have done this, maybe they will offer some suggestions.

chryslerfan55, b-bop and Stogy like this.
  9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Yes, I just happened to be leaving next week for 2 to 3 weeks on the road through UT and CO in my OT late model pickup. Will be doing primarily dispersed camping (no services) and sleeping in the back of the truck.

I read through all the other road trip threads and loved them all! Really like what B-Bop did and I have traveled most of those same roads he did, just not in a vintage car. I see his trailer is fairly light and doesn't look like he had to do any modifications to his A other than adding a trailer hitch. I think if I can keep my trailer to around 1K pounds I shouldn't have any issues. I do like the idea of a backup camera on the trailer though.

chryslerfan55 and b-bop like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at vintagecampertrailers.com

11. b-bop

b-bop

Hey Boys, thanks for the pat on the back. I cannot remember the last time I stayed in a campground. Oh, yeah, 8 years ago when the wife came with me. She needs her "services". Get out there and enjoy the journey CAHotRodBoy If you are towing a teardrop with a hot rod, you will never be lonely.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and i.rant like this.
  12. Hogger

Hogger
    from Carvel AB

7227466C-6544-447A-A83A-D02C4E5D1E27.jpeg

Put 13000 miles summer of 2017

13. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the rear view camera thing, just in case you didn't know, wireless versions are available so there's no hookup required - pretty handy with a small trailer that you might be disconnecting frequently. I say wireless, it is wired for power from the trailer but is wireless for the signal to the screen. They're popular in Europe with the horsey crowd (my wife included) - not sure about availability in the US, but being made in the East I expect they'll be available somewhere!

Chris

14. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The plans to build them are all over Ebay,they look like fun to build,if you get one take it out for a couple of weekends before you leave for good,will give you an idea as to what to take with you. Good luck i hope to do the same thing someday. Harvey

15. I believe you are overthinking it.

Ben

chryslerfan55, Randall and TTR like this.
  16. Sounds like a great plan. When done, please consider sharing your experiences on my "GRAND TOURING IN A VINTAGE HOT ROD" thread.

And if your '34 is built to represent some specific vintage period ('40s, '50s, '60s, etc) might be worth to consider getting a matching "period correct" trailer, not a modern one.

Enjoy and good luck.

P.S. Unless you're prepared for a possibility to get mistaken for some millenial safe space sissy, forget all those b-u cameras and digital nonsense. Real car guys/hot rodders have been able to manage motor vehicles and traveling without them for 100 + years and some are still able to hold that tradition. :rolleyes:

"Butch"

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  17. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks B-Bop. Your travels are an inspiration!

I am familiar with "the delay factor" when traveling with unusual vehicles. I get that a lot when I'm out on my OT sidecar rig with my dog (hope it is okay to post photos here). Getting gas ends up being a 30 minute affair!

I've done a lot of road trips in hot rods in the past but always stayed in motels. I want to be able to do what you do and just pull off the road somewhere out in the boonies. I'm not found of cities so I try to avoid them if possible. Also being retired, saving money while traveling = more road trips!

Did you build your teardrop or buy it? I most likely will build mine so I can configure it as I'd like and try to keep the weight down.

I'm also a little undecided at this point whether to take my '34 or one of my bigger cars (I have a 63&1/2 Galaxie and a '64 Catalina 2+2). Both of those cars are full size two door hard tops with big motors and 4 speeds. Tons of room inside as well as the trunk and comfortable ride. The down side is they suck a lot of gas. The '34 has a little 231 Buick V6 which I had planned on replacing with a 392 or maybe a big nailhead at some point. I'm thinking the '34 would get pretty decent gas mileage being a smaller lighter car with little engine so again, could keep expenses down. Interior room will be a lot tighter and my dog will be traveling with me. My thinking is I stuff all my crap into the teardrop while driving and then transfer some of it into the car when camping. I'll probably carry a small tent too and use that to throw stuff into at night which is what I do when camping out of my truck.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and rjones35 like this.
  18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks Butch.
    Do you have a link to that thread? I did a search and the only thing that comes up is this thread! :eek::D

Here is my '34 as it is now. By the time it hits the road it will have louvered hood sides, door handles, different wheels (probably steelies), rubber running board covers, and maybe some CA Kid style flames, something to breakup all that black. It's more of an early 70's style car and I have a set of these old Cragars with 50 series bias plys that I was going to run on the car but will be using them for trailer tires instead. I'll have a spare that will have same bolt pattern as the car so can be used for both. I think tear drop trailers are a fairly timeless design so can match up with any time period.

As far as a backup camera, we'll see (no pun intended:p). Chopped top '34 three windows aren't the easiest car to see out the back and running little peep side mirrors aren't much help. I'll do a lot of test runs before I hit the road and then decide. My intention on this trip is to do it as if I was just out of high school in 1974. Using paper maps and staying off the interstates as much as possible (no GPS nav system). As B-Bop said, people tend to want to talk to you when you drive a cool setup so I'll be relying on that to find out about and see local people, places and things that most travelers won't encounter. Of course, I will have a cell phone (or digital camera) and computer so I can upload photos and pay bills online as I will be on the road for over a month.

I did my first cross country road trip in 1978 in a '58 Ford pickup with a Pontiac 400 and 4 speed in it. ;) I was stationed at Ft Lewis, WA and had to get to Ft Dix, NJ to go to Germany. I had 30 days leave and waited to the last minute to leave so I hammered across in 4 days. The truck had no radio, was pretty loud and not very comfortable. I took I-90 but going through Idaho it turned into a two lane. I crossed the continental divide for the first time and was amazed seeing the Rocky Mountains. I understood what Montana "Big Sky Country" means. I picked up a young couple hitch hiking just outside of Missoula and took them to Butte. Didn't talk much because the truck was too loud! Saw signs for Wall Drug for hundreds of miles and had to stop when I got there. For those who know it, it was much smaller then, just a drug store selling a lot of western wear stuff. I bought a bumper sticker. They grow a lot of corn in Iowa. Almost ran out of gas going through Chicago because I got stuck in traffic and couldn't find a station. Found out that Gary Indiana literally stinks. Northern Ohio is flatter than I expected. The PA Turnpike is a crappy road filled with pot holes. :mad: NJ has more trees and was prettier than I expected. I almost ran out of money before making it all the way there (no credit cards then) and thought I might have to pawn my camera to get enough gas money!

I've done many cross country trips since then but most were destination oriented and didn't take a lot of time to see things. This trip is going to be my attempt at re-experiencing my 1978 trip but at a much slower pace and avoiding the bad spots (mostly the cities). I hoping there is some 1978 America still out there.

IMG_5221 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and TTR like this.
  19. Sorry, I don't know how to link my thread.
    Perhaps Stogy or someone with better interweb skills can help us on that.

I too have done few cross country drives with vintage cars and several with OT/modern (boring?) rides. I even had plans to drive my Roadster (see my avatar) to New York and back starting next week, but unfortunately had to scratch that idea. Route planning included using mostly smaller/older 2-lane highways and back roads.

Another recommendation based on your previous post. If attempting to capture times long ago and not in a hurry to get anywhere, try to stay away from those boring conveyor belts called Interstate Highway. I can't think of worse ways to experience road trips.

I do admire guys (like B-Bob and you) that are able and willing to "rough it" with roadside camping, but for me, when it comes to overnight accommodations, I admittedly puss out and prefer nice motel or hotel bed and anything less than 4 stars I usually equate with wilderness. :rolleyes:

Missus has expressed some (mild) interest in trailer type camping/travel, but it would likely have to be fully self-contained with all conveniences and large enough requiring a use of my full size modern truck for pulling.
    What's the fun in that. o_O
    I've pulled enclosed and open (car) trailers for tens of thousands of miles, probably even backed up with them more miles than I care to recall, so I wouldn't mind if I never had to tow another one again. ;)

20. If you copy & paste following title to the search field...

GRAND TOURING WITH A VINTAGE HOT ROD...

... it should show up in results.

P.S. Over 20K miles in last 5 years with almost 8K in past 14 months.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Just remember the most important thing to include, if you going to camp off road and take the back hiways, is 12 volt air pump! I’ve got one I’ve had for 10 years, saved my butt many times.

Bones

22. Link in post # 6.

Ben

TTR likes this.
  23. 19highboy32

19highboy32

57 Chevy wagon journey from Melbourne to Darwin (Australia) via Ayres Rock, around 8,000 kilometres all up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    chryslerfan55, b-bop and TTR like this.
  24. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

For your blow up "companion"? :eek::p

chryslerfan55, b-bop and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'd say that a station wagon/sedan delivery/panel truck would be the ultimate hot rod road trip vehicle. With your little trailer you can haul all your stuff including tools, spare tire and gas can and then just sleep in the back of the car. Hmmm, maybe I should try to trade one of my bigger cars for a station wagon. ;)

26. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Got it. Thanks Ben.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have friends who have towed small trailers all over the US behind their rods. One couple tows either a Scamp or Burro trailer just about everywhere they go in their rods and have done it for the past 40 years. Several tow teardrops.
    I have a home made Tear drop trailer frame made out of Model T frame rails and running Wide 5 Ford wheels. It had remnants of the floor of the trailer on it when I bought it a number of years ago. It will probably have less than 100 lbs tongue weight when it is done.
    I'm looking for a light weight camp trailer to tow behind the 48. I towed a 15 footer behind it for several years but that was a bit too heavy. We have some long trips planned in the next couple of years after the truck is done and motels every night will kill the budget and the teardrop will just be too small for that. Yes the truck will be set up to tow that size of trailer.

We went a lot in the 48 in the 70's with a full size mattress in the back of the 48 all made up with sheets and blankets with the tonneau cover snapped over it and the bags and cooler on top of it. Family camp outs, rod runs and what not. Not bad but I don't want to do that anymore.

On the weight of the tear drop, I was just thinking, I have a queen size air mattress in my boat back in the sleeping quarters rather than a foam mattress. Had the mattress had the space. a similar air mattress might work in a tear drop rather than a foam mattress and save a few pounds.

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You guys..... you know I want to pump her up myself!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and b-bop like this.
  29. Thanks.
    (Note to self: pay attention)

firstinsteele likes this.
  30. Now, now, you're just jealous, I bet. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018