Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F1 and F100 mounting bolt pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The wedge for the steering box in an earlier frame is for the F100 only. Does that mean that the F1 and F100 aren't the same bolt pattern? I have an F1 box I want to fit in a model A frame.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

That is correct: F1 and F100 have different mounting bolt patterns. Some have cut the mount off the F1 box and mated a Model A mount in its place.

I had the mount of my F1 box milled to be round. I took a block of steel like a 2x4 and cut a hole through the size of the millec steering box mount. I then-cut the block through the hole. I drilled two bolt holes in the block so that the lower block section is drilled through and the top is tapped. I matched these holes to holes drilled in the lower chassis flange. I now had an adjustable clamp for the steering box that could be mounted in the chassis and it looks like a Model A outwardly. I also drilled and tapped the block to match the two Model A holes in the chassis.

Wish I had a close up to show this.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vern Tardel sells the flange https://www.verntardel.com/products/steering-box-flange That you use after you modify your box.
    If you have to tear the box down, haul the housing to a job shop machine shop and buy the flange plus buy rebuild parts you may well be money ahead to send it off to Randy Gross.