Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aluminum Radiator Modifications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crankhole, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

I'm looking at purchasing an aluminum Champion radiator off of Ebay but I may need to move the fill neck to a new location. Is this gonna be a problem for a radiator shop? I was reading some older HAMB postings and it was mentioned that "you better hope it doesn't spring a leak". Will they not touch an aluminum radiator? What's the story?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dillon Radiator in Rochester, MN moved the fill neck to the other side, they sold me the radiator and I've bought a few from them over the years, they're on eBay as well!! Oh, free shipping. http://dillonradiator.com/

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Some shops only do brass others do brass and aluminum, ask first, but that should be no problem for a qualified shop.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just a tip to avoid problems like broken mounts, leaks, etc. Use some form of rubber cushioning at all mounting points, if setting the botton tank in a trough type mount use some 1/4" rubber to line the trough, will greatly reduce vibration related cracking of the aluminum.

wackdaddy likes this.

5. Champion will move inlets/outlets for a fee, so a fill-neck is a possibility. My eBay Champion seller (radiators4less) offered to move my outlet, but I decided on another radiator he had.

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

All good to know, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Depends on how the radiator is made, Most radiator shops just replace the alu units because they are cheap to replace. I do aluminum radiator mods like this quite often and involves a Heliarc/Tig welder to do it correctly. I'm an 45min drive from Ontario, and could prob do it while you wait
    310-768-3163

Crankhole, swade41 and saltflats like this.
  8. Around my area the radiator shops only replace aluminum radiators, they don't work on or repair them. HRP

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ron Davis has quite a large offering of application specific aluminum radiators as well as custom units, I have one in my 66 Suburban.
    I'm sure they are more money than a Champion radiator but you don't want to choose one based only because they are the cheapest one on E-bay, etc.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com