Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1948 Bell Telephone Service Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Southtowns27, May 25, 2014.

1. If you ever need door handles or latch mechanisms, they are the same as '38-'47 Ford truck. Handles also the same as '38 Ford Standard car.

2. When I was a kid in the 50s, there were dozens of them around town...all had the Ma Bell emblem and were all O.D. green.
    One of our members in the local F-100 club has a bright red '58 F-100 with the phone company bed on it....it's totally cool.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of those old phone trucks is one of the few things I'd restore to bone stock (at last outward appearance) if I had it. I thought they were cool when I was a kid and saw them running around the area.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very neat old vintage truck, however the pin striping is totally out of the theme of the old truck and distracts from the whole thing.
    It doesn't belong is the easiest way to put it.

pipebomb likes this.
  5. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Love your truck Andy. Keep up the good work. Here's some pics from last year's cavalvade of cars show with your display! The striping looks great!

FB_IMG_1489604216404.jpg

FB_IMG_1489604176811.jpg

Bo Gonzalez and exterminator like this.
  6. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Don't think he asked for your opinion... if ya don't have anything positive to say, just keep it to yourself. Guess you just had to be "that guy" though... He made it his own. Isn't that what having your own car is about? I'm surprised you didn't tell him the patina is stupid and he should repaint it... He likes it, and that's why he did it. I've seen this truck in person plenty of times. The striping definitely adds to its character, was too plain without it...

Southtowns27 and papajohn like this.
  7. Southtowns27

Southtowns27
    from Western NY

Thanks Steve!

ModelAPunk likes this.
  8. ...I like the truck and the striping, but I'd scuff the striping down some to age it to match the truck.

9. Southtowns27

Southtowns27
    from Western NY

I thought about that, but the truck lives outside most of the year so I think it should "weather" on it's own.

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mom said , nothing nice to say , say nothing..love that crow..or is it a buzzard....

11. whiskeyding

whiskeyding

I have a Ford Bell systems truck.ive had it for a couple years now. It's missing the utility bed. Can anyone point me in the right direction on finding period correct 1939?

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. whiskeyding

whiskeyding

Dig your truck btw. I love the patina it tells the story of the truck.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. bill mat

bill mat

Your truck is awesome. Just a question . Is it possible to clear coat to protect the patina or would that ruin the look? I think it looks great!

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just now stumbled across this thread.
    I had a great 56 I.H.C. S-110 retired Bell Telephone line service truck, with the body built by Hi-Way.
    I wish I had never sold it.
    Back in 75, when these pictures were taken, I had just got out of the Army and was getting back to being a hippie.
    The search continues to find another one like it.

56 IHC phone truck (2).JPG 56 IHC side view (2).JPG 56 IHC happy daze (2).JPG IMG_0304 (2).JPG IMG_0305 (2).JPG IMG_0340 (2).JPG