Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Through the Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by USMercUte, Aug 26, 2018.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When my son was 9 we had the opportunity to get a 48 Ford pickup in trade for a dump trailer. This truck was to be built in time for his 16th birthday. Only 3 months late, it made it's first outing at Hot August Nights 1993. With a 302 and a 5 speed and a high school job hauling and delivering ice before and after school, it served him well through high school but it got parked as he went off to college. Employment in the rice industry, marriage, 3 kids and a divorce later the 48 sat in a sea container behind our shop. Yesterday my wife and I arrived home to find the container doors open, the ramps out and the truck gone. His work truck was here so we assumed it was not stolen. Not long after we heard the sound of a V-8 and he arrived with an ear to ear grin on his face, much like the one from 1986. Had to take a picture. We never insisted he keep the truck all these years but we are sure glad he did! WIN_20180826_08_00_18_Pro.jpg WIN_20180826_08_00_35_Pro (2).jpg WIN_20180825_16_44_21_Pro.jpg

2. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. williebill

williebill

Great pics and story. Back to his roots.

4. Love the truck.

I have always liked the 48 Ford pickups having had one but never building it,I bought it totally disassembled and sold it several years later.

We were at a cruise in last night and a gentlemen approached me and ask did i remember him, I told him I recognized the face and knew he was the man that bought my 48 but the name eluded me.

He was driving a beautiful pickup but he said he had owned this one for many years and went on to tell me the truck he purchased from me is still setting where he unloaded it. HRP

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. WOW. I passed my drivers license driving test in 1953 driving Dad's 48 Ford pickup with the 4 speed with the granny gear. I have lots of memories with that 48 also. His looked like crap cause it was his work truck and nothing nice like yours. Jimmie

6. Cool story, my first vehicle I ever bought was a 48 ford truck when I was 14. It got a 300hp/327 with a powerglide and a 9in, used to tear hell around the neighborhood with a foot of straight pipe off those ram's horns..hahaha

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very cool. My Dad has his 36 Ford since 59. Time flies for

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Handsome kid, Great truck
    Nothing better than a father-son project

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I am a Chevy guy through and through but there are a few Ford trucks I really like and the F1’s are one of them. I prefer the ‘48-‘50’s grills but they’re all nice.

A ‘40-‘41 is my all time favorite Ford pickup. Not sure I’ll ever get one but they’re fantastic.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for all the comments, it was so great to see him enjoying his old hot rod once again. Lots of memories there, so many hours spent together building it. All worth it.

12. Nice story, nice truck. I'm 71 and have always had at least one F-1 since I was 14.

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Great looking truck! Cool to see the evolution of him and it