Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline 4 carb questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Super Squarecat, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Super Squarecat

Super Squarecat

I am getting ready to set up an inline 4 2's intake on a 354 hemi.

I have the option of rebuilt but not matched (I do not know what that means) holley 94's. Or not rebuilt 97's. Which should I choose?

Also, I would like to know what needs to be done to these carbs to allow them to work together. Something about idle circuts? Can some one explain?

Lastly, I would like to know in what order the carbs should be linkaged? can anyone show pictures, or reccommend a sorce?

Thank you.

I am sure these questions have been asked and answered before, but I am too stupid to find them. Links welcome.

2. Super Squarecat

Super Squarecat

3. As far as what carbs to run....I prefer the Strombergs over the Holleys. Don't get me wrong, the Holley is a great carb, it's just that I prefer the Strombergs. I think "in general" the Strombergs are a little easier to tune. If you're on a budget, run the Holleys as they will be cheaper. If you're really into "the look" of the carbs, then you'll be spending extra dough on the Strombergs.

With your engine, you shouldn't need to worry to much about progressive linkage unless your car is real heavy. Assuming it's light, run straight linkage.

I can help you with this if you'd like and there are also many guys on the HAMB who really know their stuff. PM me if you'd like...

Matt:cool:

4. You don't mention what manifold you are using but most inline four 2bbl won't have room for the 94's. The screw by the fuel inlet will hit the next carb. 97's are just a bit shorter and will fit.

As for setting them up, the 94 is a more sophisticated carb but the 97 is easier to setup due to it's mechanical power valve. 94's use a vacuum power valve.

The Tex Smith hemi book has a great article on setting up 4 97's on a hemi written by Skip Readio (Desoto here on the HAMB). Read it if you haven't.

The manifold I use (Weiand WC245) didn't cross distribute well enough for a progressive linkage so I made plenum box between the carbs and the manifold. Without the plenum box I'd need to run straight linkage.

I think some other intakes such as the Cragar will support either straight or progressive linkage.

Hope this helps.

5. Super Squarecat

Super Squarecat

Thanks.

I will check to see what intake it is. I have not picked it up yet. Supposedly there are 94's bolted to it.

Sq.

6. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

7. 1952henry

1952henry

Not matched probably means the numbers on the bowls are different. Could also refer to the number on the back, which lets you know what size the venturi is; .94", 1", 1/1/16", 1/3/16".

8. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

:D Hello..Here is a picture of a 4x2 inline for a 392, with 97s and progressive linkage..
    I agree with Matt, 97s are a little more $$$$ but worth the ease to rebuild and tune.. Need any help pm me also..
    :eek: Duane..:eek:

Attached Files:

• 1[2].jpg
      1[2].jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Fe26

Fe26

I'm in heaven!!!!!

10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

11. sport fury

sport fury

I thought the
    can the screws in question be ground down to clear the other carbs? how can you modify or change a vacuum power valve

12. carbking

carbking

For best results, the carbs SHOULD be EXACTLY MATCHED. In other words, all carbs should have started life with the same calibration. Otherwise tuning is an absolute nightmare!

As to the Stromberg EE-1/Holley AA-1 comparison:

(1) Unless the carbs were factory designed to run in multiples (example Hudson Twin-H), using vacuum power valves introduces an extra layer of complexity for tuning. How good are you at custom winding matching tensioned vacuum springs?
    (2) The Holley AA-1, with the neopreme power valve and the passage direct to the intake is THE carburetor responsible for the phrase "leaking down". One is bad enough; four is just an issue awaiting an opportunity.

Like others have mentioned in this thread; not all manifolds will support progressive linkage. However, my professional opinion is that you will be much happier with solid linkage regardless of the manifold internal design.

And we have been sold out of the Stromberg type EE-1 model 97 carbs for years; the above is information, not "axe-grinding" ;)

Jon.

XXL__ likes this.
  13. sport fury

sport fury

I am looking into using 4 holley 94s with straight linkage on a weiand wc245 intake on a 1955 Chrysler 331 hemi. I have found several cheap 94s and want to explore using them

14. sport fury

sport fury

how much needs to be ground off on carbs to fit 4 holley 94s on a weiand wc245 for Chrysler hemi?

15. Skip Readio (Desoto on the HAMB) wrote a section in the hemi book about setting Strombergs up on a WC245. According to Desoto the WC245 doesn't distribute well so a progressive linkage is out of the question. I ran a WC245 for a number of years but made a plenum box between the carbs and the manifold so I could run a dual stage progressive linkage. I set it up so #2 would come in first, then # 3, and finally #1 & #4. Worked great. I like my 671 but miss the Strombergs. BTW, what Carb King said about power valves can't be understated. Strombergs have a bad reputation about tuning but I found them very straight forword.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]