Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinmont brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matteo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. matteo

matteo
    from Texas

We are restoring the 1947 Weinberg Roadster in our shop in Texas. The outer cast aluminum shells for the Kinmont brakes have holes in them, ostensibly for cooling. Since the holes face in different directions on each side, my question is do the holes face to the rear or the front of the car?

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Scoops forward. Please show pics!! Sounds awesome!

3. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Yes the hole to the front ,No Pics Yet ? Sounds great.Thanks

4. Do you have a Full Set of 4. They are label on the Backing Plates, RF,LF,RR,& LR. The Production Run Total was 325. 2 Stock Ford Wheel Cylinder Kits will Rebuild all 4 of the Kinmont Wheel Cylinders. Are you missing any Parts? There is someone making front & rear Kinmont Wheel Cylinders. A Few Years Back, someone in Arizonia was making the Fluted Disk Washer on the Backing Plate. I have a Full Set on my 33 Roadster. BigDTexasKid

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Handy information there, thanks BigD.

6. saucerhead

saucerhead

There is an old hot rodder in Dayton , Ohio that has Kinmonts stacked like cordwood. Thing is he rarely sells anything. Also gobs of other rare speed parts and sheet metal, but like I said, rarely sells anything.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  7. ...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure that guy in AZ is my buddy Don Marks. P.M. me if you need to get ahold of him.

BigDTexasKid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Sorry, I didn’t see your reply about Don Marks. Can you provide his Address & Phone #’s. My name is Dereald Millsap.
    1176 Texas HWY 19 South, Sulphur Springs, Tx. 75482. (903) 952-1933.
    Any time Day/Nite. I need at least 8 Fluted Washers. But I’d like to have a Total if 16, or 2-Complete Sets For 2 Kinmont Brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. ..........You might get lucky by sending need louvers ? a PM although he hasn't been on here for over a year. Might try his phone # as well.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  11. The gentlemen you mention has he Passed Away.?

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a guy I new out here. He was stockpiling his "gold" to pass on to his heirs.

They paid a scrapper to take it all away.

kadillackid likes this.
  13. Fordors

Fordors

I think he might be referring to Don Broyles and yes, he passed away in 2014.

14. alchemy

alchemy

So what happened to Don Broyles' Kinmonts then after his death?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I attended his estate auction in 2015. There were all kinds of parts, rare flathead speed stuff and just about anything you could name was auctioned off. There were no Kinmont brake sets at that auction as I recall. I was at Don Broyle's shop many times around 2000, when I was building my 1929 roadster and at that time he had 4 complete sets of Kinmont brakes. I know that 2 sets of Kinmonts ended up on customer's cars and I would guess that the other 2 sets were sold off or were cherry picked before the auction happened.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. I’d been chasing Kinmont Brakes Ever Since 1971 Rod & Custom article by Tom Senter. In the mid 80’s, I Purchase 3/4 & a few Spare Parts From a Guys Left Over Parts. Then, a couple months, after I got a Front Pair, from a guy in Mustang, OK. In 89 I found a NOS Full Set Of 4-Asbestos Brake Hoops From J. Etter Of PA. Then, 4-Years ago, I purchased a Full Set Of S/S Brake Cylinders, From CA., I lost his name, when my I-Phone took a Dump. Excellent Workmanship & Price was more that fair. Finished 33 Ford HIBOY Roadster Chassis. Need to disassemble, to paint the Chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ..............Pictures would be very cool.:)