Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Buick...What are these things?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redlinear, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

No pics, but...on each rear brake backing plate there's a little spring loaded pin attached to the backing plate. Spring pushes it out against the inside of the axle flange and it rubs/rides against the axle flange.
    Anybody know what those are called or what their function is?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From your description, I believe those are the brake shoe retention pins (and springs) that should NOT be rubbing on the axle flange. Typically, the pins are inserted from the back side of the backing plate through a small hole. The pin passes through another small hole in the curved web of the brake shoe, then a coil spring and a little stamped metal cap go onto the pin, retaining the spring.

The tip of the pin is flattened to form a sort of barb and the metal cap has a slotted hole in it's center. The idea is to compress the spring with the cap until the cap is past the barb, then rotate the cap to lock the cap onto the barb. That holds mild spring pressure on the brake shoes to keep them against the backing plate so they do not just rattle around when not being applied against the drum.

It just occurred to me that there is another possibility and quite likely the more correct answer. You could be looking at the ends of the parking brake cables that may not be attached to the parking brake lever that, when pulled by said cable, applies the shoes to the drum for parking and/or emergency brakes.

Now that I have used 'a thousand words', it should be apparent why a picture is preferred.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Jet96, lothiandon1940, BJR and 5 others like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Ray, you're good!

firstinsteele and Hnstray like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Among my close friends and family, I am known as the guy who, "if you ask him what time it is, he'll tell you how to make a watch!" :D

Ray

5. Haha. Tou-che' !! :) :D

warhorseracing likes this.
  6. No location either in your profile. If I knew where you were I could take a look at it for you and maybe help. Currently my wife doesn't allow me out of the country so......... I can't make to Africa.

7. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

yeah park brake was my first thought.
    +1 for pics.
    As the kids say "Pics or GTFO"

warhorseracing likes this.
  8. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

No location, GTFO or post pics? Dang, what a warm welcome.... :D
    Location has been fixed.
    Lets try a photo too!
    These bolt to the backing plate, short copper looking tube with a spring loaded pin inside of each one. The spring pushes the pins into the back side of the axle flange. (I see no way these could be brake related or parking brake related). As the axle turns, the springs keep the pins in contact with the back side of the axle flange.
    Maybe some sort of "grounding" idea? No wires or anything connects to them.
    I have no idea???
    070.JPG

TagMan, Hnstray and rjones35 like this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sort of like the horn ring/spring contact in your steering column? I would think your own "guess" is correct. I have never seen anything like that under a drive axle, so I looked in my 1959 Edition Motor's Auto Repair Manual for the 52-55 Buick; NOTHING. I even looked into the Axle Repair Section, and NOTHING there either. Three strikes, and I'm out. Keep us posted so we all learn something new. I've posted your question on ChevyTalk.Org, in the 49-54 Chevrolet Forum, for a particular member to ponder; he knows it ALL. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

They don't look large enough to actually "pre-load" the axles.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

The "pin" material appears to be something like what an electric motor brush would be made out of? Carbon or Graphite looking material?
    The tubes and the springs inside are copper and/or brass.
    Considering that, I think they are a factory attempt at chassis grounding of some sort????
    Remember the rubber straps that hung off the back bumper touching the pavement? Those had graphite in them from what I remember, to ground the chassis and prevent static buildup was the idea.
    I say factory because these sure look like they came on the car. Not to mention the back side of the axle flange has a thin metal piece entirely covering it for these to ride against (lug studs hold it on). Be a hard sell to get a person to pull their axles, remove the bearings, and re-assemble just for something like this.
    Be nice to know what they were called (officially). Conversation starter...or ender. LOL

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Hnstray and rjones35 like this.
  11. Msgr. Doug Cook

Msgr. Doug Cook

I have played with '54 Buicks for a lot of years, but never seen this. Interesting gizmo, but not factory.
    Send me a private message, if interested in talking more. I have parts...

12. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Aftermarket squeal stoppers?

Just a guess...

13. 62rebel

62rebel

Anti-static device? Primitive radio noise suppression?

RICH B and 54vicky like this.
  14. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

Just went on a little exploratory scavenger hunt. Found a 53 Pontiac rear end with the same stuff. And the axles out of the 54 Buick that I'm working on are 10 spline. (wouldn't that make this a Pontiac rear end?)

15. 54vicky

54vicky

when you say same stuff are you saying it had these also?I am inclined to think as reb some company attempt at static suppression something dreamed up by a snake oil salesperson same as the rubber strap urban legend.think about it they would have come factory or at least an option no car company would let that pass when hey could make money from peoples ignorance same holds true today

16. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

So far, I've seen 6 axles with the tin covers on the back side of the axle flange. 4 of which I'm certain are 53/54 Pontiac. The spring loaded gizmo's ride against that tin cover.

17. rjones35

rjones35

Those things have a brake light inside? Maybe something to do with that? Loses contact/ground and the light comes on? Just a thought.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

Well; I'll tell you what. Put 'em back on the car. They might be flux capacitor exciters, and you'll be unable to reach critical mass when accelerating.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. rjones35

rjones35

Weird that nobody has seen them before.....

20. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

If contact is lost, a light comes on in the dash telling you that your wheel, tire, and axle are getting ready to pass you. LOL

rjones35 and Hnstray like this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Redlinear....Thank You SO much for the follow up posts and photos........the pics sure would have saved me some time last night! :D

I have never, ever seen anything like this and I have been around cars and pickups extensively for a bit more than 60 years!

What sort of common history is there among the Buick and the Pontiac cars/axles / brakes that would, or could, account for their appearance in your realm when they seem unknown anywhere else :confused:? Do you know of some connection among the vehicle’s whose parts you are autopsying ?

Ray

302GMC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. BJR

BJR

I have had two 54 Buicks and two 49 Buicks and never seen anything like that. I believe it's there to suppress static on the radio. I have seen a spring like device under the front grease caps on the front wheels of 50's GM cars. It was only on cars with factory radios. It grounded the spindle to the rotating drum, wheel assembly. I think this was put there to do the same sort of thing, ground the rotating parts of the axle assembly, to stop static on the old tube radios.

egads, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  23. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

Best I can tell (now that I've done some more research). I think the rear end under the 54 Buick that I'm "piddling" with is actually out of a 53/54 Pontiac. Again, best I can tell this is a Pontiac thing, not Buick.
    I stumbled upon another rear end that I have. 53 Pontiac. It has the same hardware.
    Then, when I stopped looking for Buick information, and started looking at Pontiac stuff....I found pics on the internet of Pontiac axles. And they have that metal thing held on by the lug studs (like mine).
    Just looking like something unique to Pontiac. 53/54 for sure.
    Still.....I don't know what they are called. Pretty sure they are some sort of grounding attempt for static though. Like BJR said.
    I don't think it's unique to my area. I do think it's unique to Pontiac though.

egads and Hnstray like this.
  24. wsdad

wsdad

Maybe it's a Pontiac rear end. Instead of looking for Buick answers, maybe a good Pontiac man (or Pontiac book) might know something.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Is the Buick axle assembly you have a torque tube drive unit or open drive with a conventional driveshaft and U-joint? Also, Buicks , for decades, used lug bolts, not studs and nuts and would not have used the same method of attaching the contact ring to the backside of the axle flange. Lastly, Buicks used coil springs in the rear.....Pontiacs were leaf spring suspension. Is this “Buick” rear end in a car or just a detached assembly? If in a car, how is it suspended?

Ray

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well now, whatcha' know? In my Motor's Manual it says 1956 back Pontiac (guessing Olds too) rear axles use a "Static Ground Brush". Sounds like you have solved your own problem. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

rjones35, 62rebel and Hnstray like this.
  27. Well now that there are pictures and you are in Arkansas that is a little far for me to run over and have a look see. It seems that maybe Butch is on to something. Aren't Buicks though torque tubes through the early '60's and is this one as Hnstray alluded to?

28. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Like your avy man. Cool cat.

29. 62rebel

62rebel

This was actually a pretty mild welcome, Red! You know you're part of the crowd when A. You're mercilessly hounded right off the bat, and B. Your post still gets dozens of responses trying to help. It can be a tough audience some days.

Hnstray, egads and ClayMart like this.
  30. Redlinear

Redlinear
    from Ozone, AR

No, YOU just solved my problem! "Static Ground Brush" is what I was looking for. Not only is that the correct name for it (I assume). It pretty much says what it does! YEA!!!!!
    Thanks Thanks!!!

rjones35 likes this.