Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ranger 4X4 rear end in a shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Aug 15, 2018.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do remember right!

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

0FFE931E-442C-4E7A-845C-A435432BAA91.jpeg

Denny, working at my shop today and spied my Green Bible and decided to see if I could find the spec you asked for ‘re the rear axle width. It is not shown as such, but a little extrapolation should provide the answer, or darn close.

The chart above shows the tread at 56”. It also shows the wheel offset for all models at .62”. I feel certain that offset results in increased backspacing....So with tread at 56.00”, adding the backspacing offset of two wheels puts the rear end 57.25” WMS/WMS...... 57” being an amount I “thought” was close from prior experience, but couldn’t remember for sure. It is also consistent with coolhandponcho54 and Gimpy’s figures. So, it appears the Ranger rear end is slightly narrower and based on what you have found so far, sounds ideal or at least very good.

Ray

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, you guys, I'm gonna get that rear end and try it. It sounds like just what I need; if I can get an addition quarter inch on each side I should be good.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. My '50 has a '71 -'77 Maverick rear axle which measured 56 1/2" wide. HRP

Hnstray likes this.
  5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I was originally looking for, but they are made of "unobtanium", at least up here. You also need the V8 version, which is an even tougher find. Since I am planning on installing my OD transmission at the same time, it sounds like the ratios will be good, too.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

All Maverick rears after 1974 are 5 lug. 2.79 and 3.00 are the only ratios in a stock rear end, and all are open, no posi ever from the factory. Only the 70-72 sixes had the 4 lug, 73 the 200 I6 was 4 lug but the 250 I6 and V8 cars got the 5 lug. Some early 70’s had a small 7.5 behind the I6.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If those ratios are indeed the only ones available, it looks like I was lucky I couldn't find one.:rolleyes:

Hnstray likes this.