Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods fire extinguishers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29moonshine, Aug 17, 2018.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

just a reminder to check your old fuel lines. and to keep 2 fire extinguishers handy. fuel line broke sprayed the coil . first extinguisher did not work . the sec one did . nova motor 001.JPG looks like i will find out how good chrome ins is

2. Sucks
    Hope the damage is not terminal

3. 29moonshine

29moonshine

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Yup. Not fun.
    I do new rubber lines over 4th of July when I bleed brakes.
    VW's every 6mos.

Unkl Ian likes this.

5. May be a good time to also remind everyone to keep up with the proper maintenance on the fire extinguishers, at least once a year (every 6 months in a public building in good ol Missouri) an extinguisher should be checked by a professional. replace or refill as advised.

Good advice my friend. :cool:

stinger40 likes this.
  6. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>just a reminder to check your old fuel lines>>>

I don't see any rubber lines in the picture. Did a pressure-side metal line fail? Jack E/NJ

7. My guess is that this is the culprit

nova motor 001.JPG

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. With our trip to Memphis coming up next month changing the short rubber gas line has already been addressed and my big fire extinguisher has been checked out and is ready to go, I don't carry one of those cute small extinguishers, I carry a class ABC 5 lb. house hold type with me in our travels. HRP

upload_2018-8-17_12-23-37.jpeg

9. I remember all too well the helplessness that Randy felt when his gas line ruptured as he watched his beautiful roadster catch fire in the middle of the street in 5 o'clock traffic, he had a small extinguisher and it ran out before he could put out the fire. HRP

upload_2018-8-17_12-29-12.jpeg

upload_2018-8-17_12-32-13.jpeg

10. John M

John M

[
    Just a reminder, check your fire extinguisher if it is a Kidde brand. There is a recall on some models, seems like mostly ones with plastic handles & triggers. I had a couple in cars and on tractors that were in the recall. They were old enough I just bought new ones to replace them.
    https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/support/product-alerts/recall-kidde-fire-extinguisher/

John

11. Thanks for that John, Mine is a older one with chrome handle & trigger and was inspected just a couple of weeks ago.

I didn't have a photo of my actually fire extinguisher so I opted for a internet image. HRP

12. badvolvo

badvolvo

Make sure you have them secured well if on the inside of the car. Had a friend get smashed in the head with one during a wreck. He was wearing a helmet but still had a concussion from the hit. I need to secure mine better tonight, never think about it when I'm working on it.

13. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Yep. I can see that little rubber bugger now that you pointed it out. Jack E/NJ

14. Had a fuel line break in the fitting going into the carb this weekend. No fire. Got lucky / blessed I guess

KoolKat-57 and czuch like this.
  15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

yes [ but it is just a short piece of hose said the dumb##]

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call on the big fire putter outer but not ABC in my opinion, Halon will do the job and not leave the engine bay looking like the OP's. I spend way to much time detailing and polishing to make a mess out of things when it is preventable.
    Yep, no barb or flare on the stainless fuel line going to the carbs. A little pressure, a little vibration and little heat and the hoses will work themselves off. I bubble flare all line ends when joining to rubber to give the clamp something to back up against.

X-cpe, czuch and egads like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait, there's more. If you mount the extinguisher in the trunk and the battery that you put back there is the source you may be screwed. I like them where I can get to them fast on the way out of the car. Since I have suicide doors it made most sense to mount it on the column and I have practiced opening the door, flipping the bracket, and grabbing the extinguisher on my way out.
    upload_2018-8-17_10-8-52.png
    Not a great picture but you get the idea, you can see the handle hanging down from a chrome (of course) halon extinguisher. I am sorry for the OP's mess and I am glad he put it out before serious shit happened but these are good opportunities to take inventory of your own safety and emergency methods.

Jet96, egads, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  18. large and within reach.
    a hose barb end would have stopped it from sliding off. no matter what type of flexible fuel line you use it should be changed every couple years. cheap insurance. DSCF4407.JPG

Jet96 and kadillackid like this.
  19. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I'm getting some of these.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed that they are pretty well useless when you need the if they are hidden away. I had a fire in an OT camper van and had an extinguisher under the driver's captains chair where I totally forgot where it was in the panic of the fire. Luckily I was right behind the fire department in the parking lot at work and they had it out real quick.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^Neat idea on Leno's gagrage, would have been a cooler demonstration if there was an actual fire to put out...!

Cosmo49, Jet96 and Truck64 like this.
  22. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There is a similar device (looks like a road flare) sold to extinguish chimney fires. Wonder if that's where they got the idea.

One thing about the typical dry powder ABC extinguishers everybody has on the wall, the retardant gets compacted over time. Think of doors closing and footfalls, vibration from motors, whatever.

If they haven't been maintained they may not work as advertised only dispensing a small part of the contents when needed. The remedy for this condition is to invert the extinguisher periodically and rap on the bottom and sides thoroughly with a rubber hammer or rawhide mallet, something similar to that, shake it up a bit, to break up any clumping and settling.

egads likes this.
  23. I know these are ads from the company but gives a bit of an idea of how it works.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm not sure where to get these, but they look like a good thing to have on hand.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like if you can open your hood, set off an Element, aim it at the fire, close the hood as much as you can....the fire would be smothered.

26. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I needed a new Fire extinguisher for my Car, and did as much research on the subject as I could-I didn't want a regular, dry type of extinguisher due the fact of the Powder getting into my engine, and the aftermath of the mess-

I stumbled upon Halotron (which seems to go under a few different names), and found that it simply takes the Oxygen away from the Fire and doesn't make a mess, so I purchased one of these-a little more bling than I would have liked, but in this instance I wanted function over form-
    https://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250c.htm

Jet96 and egads like this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I hope I never have to use it
    Photo0448.jpg

czuch and egads like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^Amen

I had a cool old chrome ABC extinguisher in my 442. One day at the watering hole a guy comes running in yelling there's a truck on fire in the parking lot. I opened the trunk, grabbed the extinguisher and took care of business under the hood of a nice Chevy truck. I put out the fire but what a mess I made of a freshly built truck.

That's the day I switched to halon. It may not be your car you use it on someday. If I hadn't made such a mess that guy would have bought me a beer. Costly error

Jet96 likes this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought they outlawed Halon? Thinking I read that somewhere....

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

New production. Existing stocks can be recycled, as I understand it.

egads likes this.