Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Thompsons: Father (and now Son) Bonneville Legends.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 14, 2018.

1. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I was fortunate to have spent some time with him the last couple of years before speed week . A hard working , family oriented , no nonsense racer not to mention a class act . With all of the hard work by a committed pit crew of talented men the entire team deserves every accolade that they collect .

2. pontman

pontman

It's in Oregon now, World of Speed Museum. Hope they sit side by side one day?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. 392

Amazing and beautiful. Memories and history made.

4. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

This is probably the most important post ever! Truly a HOT ROD fairy tale come true! Well done Danny for making history in so many ways. You have become one of the Hot Rod Gods right there with your Dad.

6. khead47

khead47

There is a huge difference between 450 mph and 500 mph. I will not see it in my lifetime !

7. Did anyone catch "The Beast" stock bodied studebaker reset the record at +50 (280's) and Ed Umland also reset a record at +50 (380)'s), anything is possible.

Edit :

Screenshot_20180817-005735_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and flatheadpete like this.
  8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And Ed made his speed with gas
    Imagine if he could afford fuel

9. Thanks all for keeping us updated....and as a kid in the 60's - you grew an amount of respect for the M/T brand....it was well tested before it was put on a shelf ....and guys that were equip were passed by -by challengers on the street.....way before the Monroso crowd in later years....

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This plunked me right back in 7th grade home-room, 1962, cleaning the "flash" off my 1/25 Challenger model...the Thompsons have been role models for a LONG time!
    Great GO Danny!

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I watched Danny pull away from the start line as I was photographing record returns on 3 and 4. 3 and 4 are about a mile down and when Danny flew by, the motor sound was pure music.
    You will find a ton of photos all over the web, social media,,, it was HISTORY in the making, for those that stayed home,,, you really missed it.

12. It was a quick trip this year for me but it was hero salt conditions. I have followed the racing for over 40 years thanks to my dads magazines when I was young. It was amazing as usual being a part of history.

13. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Congrats Danny, and family.

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we were hanging around in the pit area next to the Thompson operation. I met Danny as well as observing their operation. 100 percent class. He is a genuine guy. Had nothing but praise for his crew and wife.
    My starter died in the Roadster so we had been pushing it off, popping the clutch to start it. Who came over and helped push ....Danny himself IMG_20180814_155359349_HDR.jpg
    I wish him all he deserves for this record and a great future....he is ready to play

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app