Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Derby City Dreaming

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 27, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Derby City Dreaming

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. wizzo

wizzo

Repeat after me...Loo-a-vul, lol, weather's looking pretty good!

3. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

There is nothing like the Nationals and there won't be anything like it in it's glory years. I've been there also for all the floods, storms and heat. I still remember the feeling driving my own Pre-'49 finally through those gates.
    The coolest thing, and still gives me goose bumps, is after the giveway on Saturday. The mass exodus of the fairgrounds. 5 rows wide, 20 cars deep at a time, all Steet Rods/Hot Rods for the next three to four hours, blasting up the on ramps back to the hotels and eventually on their way home across the country.

4. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Went to the first one in Louisville in 1988, 10,000 cars! Walked around for 4 days and still didn't see half of the cars. Can't do the walking any more so i take a large umbrella, folding chair and a small cooler and set up near the entrance and watch the cars come in. I liked it alot better when they limited the cars to pre 49.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I plan to go, probably Friday or Saturday, mostly because I'll be mad at myself if I don't go. Will be looking at '30-31 Model A coupes for the most part to get ideas and direction on my own '31 Ford Couple which is still in the earliest stages of a hot rod build. Also, I'll spend time in the swap meet area but really don't have very high expectations of finding anything I have to have, but it's always fun to look.

I have to say though, I miss the old days with the driving events, street-kana, street-sweeper, etc., that I did with a friend in his '26-27 Desoto hemi powered roadster. Our photo even made it into the event coverage by Hot Rod magazine one year. That was back in the Tulsa, Memphis, St. Paul days. Novas, Mustangs, Camaros and other post '48 stuff just seems out of place. I don't see that the size of an event is as important as a theme, a theme that used to be special with hot rods all '48 and older. Probably expanding the years that it's open to has kept away many that would otherwise attend.

Anyway....look for me. I'll be the old guy with thinning gray hair, but that describes most of the male attendees. Bad thing is, many of the girls have aged as badly as us guys have! :(

Lynn

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Went to my first NSRA Nats in Louisville in 1992. Haven't missed one since. I haven't noticed much difference after the cut off date was raised. If theres something there you don't like, walk past it. Besides whats wrong with looking at 50's and 60's cars? Not too many other places you can look at 11,000 cars in one place.

Gary

chriseakin likes this.
  7. I'm registered, bringing my '31 Model A. Remains to be seen if it'll actually make it, I've been thrashing every night but I've still got a ways to go to get it running. Either way, I'll be there for the first time. Looking forward to it.

catdad49 likes this.
  8. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Great cars! Thanks for posting. I'll have to give my Person's Choice Award to the Jack Goodrich 'A' roadster. I'm also liking the drag cars. And the 'T' bucket is very special.

9. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Love that...thanks for sharing!!