Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1962 Falcon aautomatic Shift Collar Disengaged.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Jul 5, 2018.

1. The car won’t shift unless you physically push the shift collar down into the slot. Like there’s a spring below it or it’s missing a retainer. I got the car in pieces and trying to make it easier to move. Any tips or an exploded view or something? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It’s been many a sun set , but I’ll try to remember . The sector is on piece from box to wheel . The column basically floats on the sector , here goes the memory ! If I recall correctly you can loosen up the column at the dash and slide it up or down to better engage the shift collar . I remember it wasn’t a complete tear down that was needed to fix your issue.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

I -think- there's a set screw in the side of the collar that locks it in place. It may have loosened or even fell out. Been a skinny minute since I've had one to play with, though. Collar could also be cracked from age. LMC sells a collar for F100 with auto trans that will work.

4. I had that problem many years ago on a Falcon and the shift collar on mine was cast aluminum ans it just wore out,I ordered a replacement piece and it worked slick as a button. HRP

Deuces likes this.

5. OK, so i finally got around to taking it apart a bit further. looks like the shift collar is pressed onto the shift tube.
    What it is is the shift tube is not staying down so that the index is engaged with the shift mechanism at the bottom of the column. there is a spring at the bottom pushing on it. I would think that there would be some kind of retainer or something but I cant find a decent exploded view diagram.

edit:
    Just looking at it, it looks like maybe the whole thing is held down my the pressure of the spring behind the steering wheel? whaddya say?

edit again:
    This is what i get for not being super ford guy,,, The retainers are in the turn signal housing part of the column. I got it figgered out thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m sure that spring pressure can be adjusted by sliding the column “ mast” up and down by loosening at the dash