Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

:D

Seriously though... this build is so freakin' cool.

Jet96 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

45degree to tire. Down makes too much dust. Looks great.

Silva likes this.
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Flatford, I agree:

Aesthetically, I like the straight down, too, but that's a good point about the dust. I can try it out a few different ways. I'll end up with extra screw holes on the inside part, but I don't care about that. Thank you all for the input.

48fordnut likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd say turned out, there's nothing "muscle car" about that ride! Get the damned fumes and sound waves away from you, turn it out.

5. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Ok. I compromised, for now. This is about 45 degrees, like 48ford suggested. The one screw is holding it fine. It's a tight fit. I appreciate the feedback. You guys made some good points. Blues, there is a slight but noticeable difference in the volume of sound between turned down and sideways.

IMG_20180610_100719346.jpg IMG_20180610_100726121.jpg

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

That's because it's not bouncing off the ground.. Get it on a horse track and enjoy.

Silva, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

8. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Now you tell me. Hahaha. That's a good idea, though.

Stogy likes this.
  9. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Being a really old SU carb guy, I might add some insite. The tapered needle is identified by very small letters stamped into the staight part of the needle that is secured in place by a set screw. Take the needle out and read the numbers. Then look up on line Joe Curto SU carb restorer. They will have a chart that gives the different dimensions of the needles You can get a different taper for richer idle or the reverse a leaner mixture. You will need to offer the size of your motor the model of your SU carb .

These guys are not speed merchants they are restorers and suppliers of SU parts and they also rebuild. The other issue maybe the oil used in your damper chamber. Most often use motor oil which will slow the piston action down. I found it best to use 10wt or less. The trick is to use light enough oil to get quick response to throttling up, and thick enough to keep the piston from falling down on decell.

Good luck,

brsscarguy

Stogy likes this.
  10. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Brass,
    Thank you. I know about Joe Curto, and the myriad needle choices for these. To tell the truth, I'm getting awfully happy with the way it's running now. I'm pretty far out on the mixture adjusting nut, but still have enough spring compression to keep it from adjusting itself, and it's running better than it ever has. I already played around with the damper oil, as well. I have 10 in it know, which seems ideal. I hooked up a cable and knob to the enriching arm so I can "choke" it from inside (?) the car, and it starts from cold in a couple of turns, warms up nice. I still have to do something about the smoking issue, and of course those flex pipes. That's OK. Piddling with this thing is therapeutic.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Great Build! how much you selling those wood body kits for? :D

deluxester, dwollam and brEad like this.
  12. 62rebel

62rebel

I just read through this entire thread (because I'm building a Jag-based special myself, and look everywhere for inspiration) and I am blown over by the sheer amount of ingenuity and imagination poured into this car. While i'm not going to build a wood-strip body or seats, the methods by which you reached these ends will work in steel just as well. My Dad, an old A fanatic from his youth, would have gone apoplectic over what you've accomplished, but I'm just amazed at how great you've made a pile of rough parts come out. MORE!

13. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you both. It's cool to read compliments like that. I have a few more things to do to it, but I'm not sure of the timeline. It's pretty good for bombing around the woods in as it is. Suspension is still a little stiff, though. I'll be sure to document anything else I do.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    brEad and cactus1 like this.
  14. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Awesome Build. I hope to be starting a build of my own that is the same type of thing. Very Cool.

15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

man what a build.. when i saw you nabbed those leather tack stuff up and added it. i literally said out loud, awe wow that just made his build. SO COOL!!!!!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you both. I added some buckles and straps to the front. I think they will look fine, once they weather in a bit. My pin arrangement didn't inspire enough confidence. The little hood kind of waggles around up there, and I could just picture it getting loose from the radiator shell and flopping back. The rear straps would probably hold it, but still... This way, it can dance all it wants to, but I know it's staying put. Other than that, I haven't had much time for the poor old thing. Life and work, work and life. And a damn hot summer. Fall is coming down here, though, you can feel the slightest little nip in the air, if you get up early enough. I'm going to try to get it tagged and insured and get a little actual road-time, as soon as I find where I put the bill of sale. Ha.

IMG_20181005_142819458.jpg IMG_20181005_142728738_HDR.jpg

17. cederholm

cederholm

One of the best build threads on the HAMB. Love seeing that SU on there myself.

~ Carl

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    mkebaird and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

This thing is soooooooooooooo cool!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The coincidental face on the air cleaner says it all...

BeaverMatt, mkebaird, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  20. Every time I see your thread come to the top of my unread queue I smile. This is such an original build! So simple yet so fun to look at, small details and great lines.

21. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Man, thank you. I'm attaching a short video of the very beginning of hurricane Michael. We were real lucky , lots of trees down and power outages, but all of our stuff survived. I sure do feel for the folks just a little West of us, though. I just can't imagine.

Stogy likes this.
  22. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I found this police head on the auction site for what seemed like a good price, as long as it wasn't busted. For those of you who are not Model A aficionados, the big letter B indicates a Model A police head, not a Model B head. Those have a big letter C cast into them, and use the 3 bolt water pump. Go figure. Anyway, those heart shaped combustion chambers are how you tell. Apparently, it bumps the compression from around 4.5:1 to around 5.5:1, although there is some disagreement on that. Not as much as one of the modern high compression heads, but it was much cheaper, and it has the advantage of being a period correct piece. I wire brushed the chambers and examined it for cracks, dont see any with my naked eye, so I'm encouraged by that. I think I'll try out that molasses business for rust removal and paint it up real pretty, then slap it on there and see what happens. Anyway, I'm tickled with it so far.

IMG_20181016_090939650.jpg IMG_20181016_090904617.jpg IMG_20181016_093531996.jpg

23. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

We'll, of course I found a couple of cracks. Don't think they are too big of a deal, though. They both stop at water and stud holes, so they shouldn't get any worse. If I'm lucky, they will be rust sealed, anyway. I'll try it. Worst that happens is it leaks and I go back to the stocker.
    IMG_20181016_131409556.jpg
    IMG_20181016_131421028.jpg

Dannerr, Stogy, 55Deso and 5 others like this.
  24. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I have a post up on this in the October Banger thread, so I won't go into a lot of detail here. I pulled the head this morning to get ready to install that police head, and found oil in every cylinder. That explains the smoking problem I've been having. Anyway, I'm hoping the Banger guys will help me diagnose this. Head gasket? Valve guides? (Doesn't look like it to me, but...). I'll keep this thread updated. Here's what I found.

IMG_20181021_113104242_HDR.jpg

brEad likes this.
  25. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I just realized how stupid it is to suspect a flathead head gasket to be the source of an oil leak, since no oil goes up there. I already apologized in the Banger thread. Hopefully, they can still help me figure out where all of that oil is coming from, and how it ended up on my gasket. Probably should have tried to save face and delete my dumbass posts, but I've tried to make this an honest chronicle, so I just decided to eat crow and fess up. Ha

ratrodrodder, Dannerr, brEad and 2 others like this.
  26. flatford39

flatford39

27. Dumb question, it's not the oil from the SU is it?

28. v8flat44

v8flat44

What cederholm said x 2. Gr8 car, build, lines, etc,etc........you've got a special banger !!!!!! mike

29. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you, Mike. Cactus, no such thing as a dumb question, but I don't see how it could be. An SU only holds a little bit of oil. There's just too much there.

cactus1 likes this.
  30. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Well, I had a pretty productive morning.

IMG_20181028_122827918_HDR.jpg

For what it's worth, the rear motor mounts on a Model A are a pain. I recommend taking the bottom bolts out first. Also, use a jack under the transmission to wiggle it so you can turn them with your fingers. I had to use two different box end wrenches with slightly different orientations on those bottom ones, swapping back and forth just to turn the bolt one flat at a time. I don't think this engine and frame have ever been apart since they were assembled in 1928, though, which is kind of cool.
    I measured the bores. They are are all between 1 and 2 thousandths over, no taper that I could discern with my rudimentary equipment. No visible cross-hatching, and there are some vertical wear marks and some discoloration, but no real scuffing or pitting. There is a slight ridge that I'll remove before I pull the pistons. Pistons are marked Ford with an arrow, and each one has a roman numeral scratched into it with an awl, but no other markings. I'm assuming they are the stock pistons, and that this is not the first ring job it's had. I know some of you guys with more money than I have will recommend a full rebuild, but I'm just going to hone it, get some 30 over rings, gap them carefully, slap it back together with the police head, do a little painting, and get the old thing percolating again. I already checked and shimmed the babbitt bearings at the beginning of this adventure, so I'm pretty confident the bottom end is good. Can't wiggle any of the valves too much, so I think the guides and stems are ok, too. Remember, this is a low-budget affair.

oliver westlund, 97, Dannerr and 5 others like this.