Register now to get rid of these ads!

A new start-up.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Jul 18, 2018.

1. spanners

spanners

No, this isn't one of those self help videos or feel good moments. Actually, that's slightly incorrect. It was a ' thank f..k that worked moment'.
    [​IMG]

2. spanners

spanners

Hang on, behind that big red X is supposed to be a video.

Think I got it this time.

Crosley likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw

Nice job, spanners. It's a great feeling breathing life into a lump of iron.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds pretty clean. I'm guessing those're #6 throats, what needles & springs're you running?

5. spanners

spanners

To be honest I really couldn't tell you the specs. The carbys came off a mates speedway engine that was 65 cubic inches larger than mine. I fitted them to the Grey motor manifold a couple of years ago, hit the starter and went quicker. All I've done is occasionally take the bells off, wipe them out and give them a spray of WD40. I was using sewing machine oil in the plungers but changed to a blend of WD40 and sewing machine oil for a quicker response. (That's what I tell myself anyway.)
    I've always remember what my mate told me. "The secret to consistency is to keep your hands in your pockets". In other words, if it's going well, leave it alone.

6. BS!

BS!

Looks and sounds great Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Kool stuff. Thanks. Looks like a SOHC Honda 750 motorcycle in the back ground? I had a couple CB-750 in the olde daze. Loved those bikes.

8. spanners

spanners

You are correct. That's a 750k4 that I'm building into a Nostalgia drag bike. The frame had already been converted into a hard tail when I bought it and I'll use the engine from my K2 750 that's been kitted to a 900. Friends and family look at me funny when I tell them that I'm taking up motorbike drag racing at 61.

weeniewawa and Crosley like this.
  9. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Makes sense to me... getting on a drag bike at age 61... I am a bit older than you. It would be fun to get back on a drag bike. Currently : I ride a 1800 Goldwing. It is a bit more tame

10. spanners

spanners

Now for an update. I put the engine back in the car and took it to a local dyno. Unfortunately we don't have any unofficial test areas around here anymore so a dyno it was. Put it on the dyno, warmed it up and did the first run. It wouldn't pull, sounded real doughy. Changed timing a bit and gave it another hit. Bang, clatter, backfiring out the carbies. The bloke doing the dyno wouldn't run it until we sussed it out. I lifted the tappet cover and lo and behold one of the rockers had shit itself big time. After driving back home for another rocker set and fitting it, we did another run. Nothing quite like watching someone wring the freckle out of something you put together. I kept waiting for the big bang but it didn't happen. My old engine peaked at 92 H.P. 3 years ago with the 1"1/4 SUs on the same dyno. This time we got 97.9 H.P. but running lean towards the end. A bit more fuel and who knows?
    Just as we were doing another run up after retarding the timing, the radiator hose blew off showering everybody with hot water. Back on the trailer and took it home for repairs.
    Racing at Gunnedah this weekend so here's hoping.

11. bobw

bobw

Thanks for the update, spanners. A few additional horsepower is always helpful. Good luck this weekend. Maybe a new personal record.

12. spanners

spanners

The new start-up has turned into a teardown. When I had it on the dyno I had to jump start it each time. Toward the end of the day I had to put the jumper leads directly on the starter motor. Next day I got a new battery for it and away it went, problem solved. Or so I thought. On Saturday at Gunnedah it fired up in the trailer, backed it out and did the first run. Ran 8.8 into a 35knot head wind so I thought that wasn't too shabby.

I had that bloke to half track so I was happy.
    After 4 runs at 8.8 it got harder to get it started. I nearly didn't do the last run because the starter was having a hard time winding it over. It was if the timing was out and it was trying to wind backwards. It started good on Sunday morning out of the trailer and for the first run but the car was running rough as guts. I did that run but it wasn't good. After a bit of tinkering with new plugs and checking fuel supply, I put it back on the trailer rather than do some damage. I should add we had to push it on trailer as it wouldn't fire even with a squirt of starter fluid. It would only backfire through the carbs. I'm going to check valve timing and compression but I think the lobes on the new cam are buggered . Any help is appreciated.

13. bobw

bobw

Sounds like cam timing. Gear or chain? Anyhow, that's a tough introduction to the new engine. You'll figure it out and run stronger than ever.

14. spanners

spanners

Found the problem. I use an electronic distributor that's a mix of original Dizzy and electronic, not Petromix. One of the gizmo bits has sheared the key way off which is allowing the timing to vary. Should be an easy fix(touch wood).
    These engines are gear to gear.

Crosley likes this.
  15. bobw

bobw

So, a quick fix and back to the track. Hoping for a personal best for you with the additional horsepower.

16. spanners

spanners

Does this sound like it should do the job?

Petejoe and Crosley like this.
  17. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey spanners, I watched the video three times and there is no doubt, you pulled the front wheels on the launch. Good Show Mate!

18. BS!

BS!

Man that sounds good

19. spanners

spanners

Thank you. Are we going to see you at Warwick? Entries are open.
    I'm racing at Sydney this weekend so I hope all goes well.

20. BS!

BS!

Planning on heading out for a look but won’t be racing. Getting closer though. Nostalgias in November are a possibility

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wires. Yesssssss. :cool:

22. spanners

spanners

Looking good . That shed's a worry. Too clean and tidy.

23. BS!

BS!

hahaha everyone gives me shit about that. I did my apprenticeship working on airside fire trucks so we used to get out arses kicked if you couldn’t eat from where we were working. No one appreciated jets falling out of the sky thanks to a messy apprentice. It’s just something that stuck with me plus my borderline ocd....

24. spanners

spanners

No worries. My son in law is an aeronautical engineer so he can't understand how I can find anything in my shed. He did his time on fighter planes and helped restore a Mirage fighter when he worked at Temora Museum.
    I just finished a long winded race report for Sydney championships so you get an idea what we get up to.

25. bobw

bobw

Great looking car, BS!.