Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tornado hits Marshalltown & Pella Ia.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt car, Jul 19, 2018.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Wrong place to post... however, we have a couple regulars from Marshalltown Ia. who frequent the Hamb. lets hope all is ok with them

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Latigo

Latigo

Spoke with family back there. Pretty torn up. Yes, hope everyone is well.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Alchemy and I are fine. He hunkered down in his place of work when it tore thru overhead. I was driving away from my work and didnt realize it was happening until I was about 5 blocks away from it. It was probably the scariest thing Ive ever been thru. My parents house is fine but it was just 1/2 block away from uprooted trees and houses that lost roofs. They were lucky.
    I havent heard back from my buddy Maystreetrelics yet. His house was right in the middle of it all. I hope he is ok.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Latigo, catdad49, egads and 4 others like this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved this to the Main Board

Yes - 31 Tornados in Iowa Today.

Yes - Marshalltown , Pella as well as Bondurant and many other small towns got hit very hard with F3 and F4 Tornados.

Hopefully Fellow Iowa Hamb Members are ok
    The Marshalltown Hospital got hit .

I traveled today to eastern Iowa this morning and had to drive around the storms returning back this afternoon. Could see the bad Marshalltown Tornado storm from a significant distance.

Fortunately NO fatalities.
    No loss of life !
    Incredible storms.
    31 Tornados !!!

F&J, catdad49, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Glad to hear you guys are ok.
    Wow - the storm videos are incredible.

Let us know if Maystreetrelics is ok

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Any word of damage in Knoxville ?

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...that's serious mean Mother Nature...Thoughts go out to those affected.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes its a mess. You've probably seen video footage of the steeple getting torn off the courthouse...Jeff was in the building right across the street from that. My employer has called off work for tomorrow...which is unheard of. Crazy stuff.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Talked to my old race car driver in Pella. He manages a plant at VerMeer. They had several injuries and the Pella hospital was at capacity plus. Started shipping to other area hospitals. Bad deal. We’re about 20 miles south of the line it traveled and didn’t even get a drop of rain.

10. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen so much devastation before, and the weirdest part is it happened right outside my workplace as I was hunkering in the basement. The parking lot we all parked in was full of cars smashed and spun around by debris, except for my 20 year old junker daily driver. It only has a couple new dents and I was able to drive it out of the lot.

Our Main Street through town, full of 150 year old brick buildings, has nary one without some damage. Probably a tenth of them will not be fixed, doomed to be empty lots.

Truly grateful that nobody was seriously injured in my town, but it all happened before we really knew it was upon us. When you hear the sirens, GO TO THE BASEMENT!

UNSHINED 2, catdad49, egads and 3 others like this.
  11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Responding to the M'town fire station I made my way through the older NE section of town and fear what the outcome will be for the moderate to low income home owners who's older large homes suffered significant damage.
    It truly does look like a bomb exploded.

lonejacklarry and Stogy like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Damn, that sucks!....:(
    Hope everyone is ok!!!!......

13. Jeeezus! My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there in Iowa. I have friends in Ames. Hope all is well there.

INVISIBLEKID, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  14. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Glad to hear thus far that our Hamb folks are okay.

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  15. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

My Daughters house was just a couple blocks from the hardest hit path, she was lucky. The rest of the family and properties seem okay. It's a shame to see the historic buildings damaged, and amazing there weren't more serious injuries.

Stogy likes this.
  16. carryallman

carryallman

some of us here -know the guys at "TRICK TOOLS " in pella -i hope they came out of it OK? they should of been right in the middle of it ?? also "doug" at dougs 4 wheelers ! lots of nice classis parts trucks & cars there ! i was just there in pells wednesday at about that same time ! something told me to go to illinois wed -instead of thursday ??? god bless those families & affected people !!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It seemed like the Iowa Radio reports on our local station said only 2 house were affected in Bondurant and they had damages to houses in Pella. No reports on the rest. They seem like they downplayed the damage across Iowa. My daughter showed me some pic`s from Pella and the damage at the Vermeer plant. Cars piled up 3 high. Take care.

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Thoughts with you folks. Scary business.

Hopefully you can rebuild and get on with your lives. That is certain my hope.

Stogy likes this.
  20. I am glad all are ok - our thoughts and prayers go out to all affected ....

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such Hell...:(...thoughts continue to be with those affected by this horror.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Luckily, the Pella tornado seems to have been mostly limited to the Vermeer facility, which is about a mile and a half out of town on the east side. Just a few scattered farmsteads around that campus. The Trick Tools and Doug's 4 Wheelers are both a fair distance (miles) away to the SW and SE.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Just got an e-mail from my friend in Ames. He said him and his family are all safe. Said that it was sunny in Ames when all of the storms hit other areas.

Stogy likes this.
  25. 392

Scary shit.

26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Just got back from Maystreetrelics place. He had some light roof/shingle issues and tree damage and he lost a small shed. The car parts in the shed are ok but other yardwork stuff was ruined. His 50 Chevy AD pickup was outside and luckily only got some scratches on the windshield. We spent 4 or so hours running the chainsaw and tearing the twisted shed apart. Overall he got pretty lucky.

TomT likes this.