Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wait.........something has gone missing!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 61 corvette. Solid lifter small block. Man a fre intake w 4 rochesters. Mallory dual point. 4 speed. Porter steel packs. 58 Buick grille. Extra tail lights. Pearl white tuck n roll. Oe chrome wheels w cal custom knockoff spider caps. Bias ply tires. Cragar steering wheel.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Saxman, hrm2k, LAROKE and 14 others like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 55 Chev. Built in 1961. 59 Buick engine. Generator. Mallory dual point, adapted to the stock 55 3 spd od trans. Oe chrome wheels. Bias ply tires
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hrm2k, LAROKE, Barn Hunter and 12 others like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

not much period correct here...drove it up to Wisconsin, and ran a 10.0, then drove it home. At least it has point ignition, and bias ply tires. :)

but I know every detail about the car that is wrong, and I don't expect the HAMB to change it's standards to accommodate them.

[​IMG]

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the key to the whole thing is this. cars that are traditionally inspired get posted in the Hokey ass message board. we look the other way when it comes to disk brakes and modern transmissions in the name of safety and drive ability. 100% traditional cars go in the traditional hot rod and trad custom section. It is all spelled out in the rules

Barn Hunter, FlynBrian, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  5. 3 observations:
    1......anything posted is subject critiquing, complaining, praising, opinions and laughter
    2....the bossman and almost bossmen determine what stays and fits their vision
    3....if it gets deleted, live to post another day

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

All nice cars.
    I was making a point about acknowledging how difficult it is to build these type of cars now, in this time period with the dated ingredients in short supply and increasingly expensive.
    It's nice to see a few examples still out there.
    This is as close as I've ever been and it was a short trip car.
    I loved it. bills phone 006.jpg

a boner, Barn Hunter, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  7. badvolvo

badvolvo

This thread has entertained me for several days now!
    But time to get in the garage & work on my traditionally non traditional hotstreetrod. Taking it to a cruise in tomorrow @100 degrees, damn glad I have that non traditional AC in there. What do you expect, 40 years in the AC business, I'm not sweating this one out in the traditional Willys.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Well,shoot.I was just getting the popcorn popper set up and figured I could corner the market on sales.

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep.
    Editorial decisions......

Stogy, lurker mick and anthony myrick like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clay Belt, Stogy, RMR&C and 5 others like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^^^ Yep - East Coast car ^^^^^^
    NJ / NY /CT original probably - unchopped, channeled with fenders.

Ima ol' east coasta' myself

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rod on Ryan & company, your heads are in a good place ... Viva la HAMB!!!

14. donnie

donnie
    from NC

I disagee it is more of a street rod now than it was when it had the ugly quad head lights.

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That paint was on her when I first saw it back in 1968... got a shitload of chips, touch ups and nicks to prove the provenance... true PA ‘ol rod.

Stogy and F&J like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Had to be ( most likely) a very east PA if it was.
    I bet it was originally a NJ/NY/ CT ( my old turf) built car before it wandered a little west...
    Just a history hunch. It's Bitchin' man.
    Boy it would be fun to find the builder...( if still living ) that would be cool.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have tried to find the original builder for the last 46 years that I have owned her... was built in Boyertown Pa. in the 50’s ... have the card that was sewn into her roof cover ... hunted down the upholstery guy... foggy memory’s. I have given up on tracing it. Seems to me , after this long it’s more “My” rod than anyone else’s. Thanks for the compliment... I love her , second only to my wife and family.

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

^^^^46 years yours......It's cool'

lothiandon1940 and bowie like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To the OP 34 Larry : You’ve got a real reet ride there , model 40 with a Hemi...shit yeah!!!! Don’t get all butt hurt cuz tru spokes, ifs , and a Jag rear float your boat ; but don’t fit the parameters of the HAMB. It’s not like Street Rod is a swear word ! Just have fun and don’t mention that stuff here. I’m not about to start talkn’ about my ‘69 GTX, ‘73 911, or ‘67 beetle on here; but that doesn’t mean they aren’t cool.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    upspirate, Stogy, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  20. 12470811343_6815961f41_c.jpg DSCF5081.JPG DSCF5083.JPG
    1962, 2017

21. Just what ever you do do not ask about fuel injection our happen to show it in a picture. Even though It improves drivable and fuel mileage and performanceIt will get deleted.

Do not show and type of rear suspension that works but engineers say can't it will get deleted.even though your dad had it on his car back in 1940.

22. 5window

5window

You mught get a trade for one kid, but nobody's gonna trade for two! :)

Clay Belt, Sky Six and aerocolor like this.
  23. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I've lived too long without kids to change now. All my stuff including house, garages, tools and cars go to a young fellow that has helped on my cars since I've known him.
    He now has a wife, two kids, a mortgage and an OT Camaro he drag races when time allows.
    I plan to pass this hobby on to the next generation. He can maintain all this stuff!

Thor1, Sky Six and Deuces like this.
  24. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I thought a lot of this conversation about what is ok for HAMB was covered in this thread the the o/p was part of a couple of months ago;

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/moderation-clarification-or-a-lack-thereof.1103992/

As an aside, the premise that one gets or builds a hot rod, street rod or whatever and will be welcomed by new found friends seems unlikely in my experience. The rivalries between Ford and Chevy, street rod and hot rod and have always been around.

As far as using magazine coverage from 1948-1965 as a criteria for what constitutes a traditional hot rod seems quite limited from my experience. I have seen a lot of interesting rides over the years that certainly were hot rods. Ryan has expressed that this site really isn't about hot rodding, but to venerate the traditional period correct hot rods. I considered that thought for a long time. My cars aren't strictly traditional, but I build in the hot rod tradition.

To the o/p I suggest build it, drive it, enjoy it. It doesn't need a classification label.

25. F&J

F&J

Over the last decade, I should have been banned at least 3 dozen times, by calling out some of the pure BS on here about what is or is not traditional......The things that really pissed me off as a purist builder, is when some F'n accountant or librarian tells me that my single circuit brakes are foolish and "if you come to my hometown and crash into my family, I will sue you for every cent".. That is a true statement said to me by some yokel out in Montana or Wyoming...Um...like I would even be there? No, he just wanted to make an ass out of himself... and I went after him. Now I say, "sure, I DO have a dual master...but like Milner, one side is da clutch! LMFAO.

another thing I used to fight about is all the builds using stock 32 headlights and getting away with their cars on the traditional rod forum! That shit NEVER happened, it is PURE resto rod stuff that started in the late 70s to early 80s...and "Dana" on here said once about his friends building in Fla back in the 50s..."we threw those big lights in the trash"..

Here is mine, but I never asked to have the long term build on the traditional board instead of the main board for one reason: Nobody ever built a convertible out of a roofless beat up 32 5w body shell... So, therefore it is not "pure", and I never meant it to look like a real 32 cabriolet, and it does not!
    DSCN0082.JPG DSCN0104.JPG
    ^^ the rear fenders I bought for $400 off of a 50s 3w that was turned into a Y2K highboy, they already had the odd shaped holes for taillights...I found out they were 41-48 chevy lights, but I also bobbed them, as I wanted the hidden gas tank. which is a 1920 Cad 20 gallon pressurized just like the Salt guys sometimes used with a hand pump.
    DSCN0090.JPG DSCN0088.JPG
    ^^ even the 1955 State Of Connecticut inspection sticker is 100% genuine! LOL
    DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0094.JPG

But, my car fools any old time guy each and every time...not only the old beat up parts, but the battle damage from driving the shit out of it daily. The best compliment I ever will have, was from "100% Matt" when he stopped in at my place...he said he knew it was an old build when he first saw it at a show my son went to in his town! My car was built from junk, and was, & is a very low dollar build. Like:> I bought fenders at closing time at the swap, stuff nobody wanted, but I could fix them as I had little money for better ones. The only things I went $$ on was all the original Edmunds Olds stuff. The ONLY thing I farmed out was bring the window frames to have glass cut...I even built a sewing table to learn how to use a 100 year old Singer walking foot. My son and I mixed the lacquer from free toners from a closed up parts store. The 40 dash that was "too rough to sell" from a doodlebug I parted out.

I run 40 drum brakes up front, 55 Olds rear brakes, single master, and my car IS safe. I run a 3 speed non syncro first gear 37 buick topshift with Olds V8 gears in it... I learned how to do that "a mod from the 50s" and I then did a tech here. You don't need a modern trans if you have the stump pulling torque of a Olds Rocket.. Hell, even my tires were used ones, the fronts came off a 59 Vette that Allstarderrick sold me..they might be 40-50 years old!

ok.long post, but since I am recovering from brain issues from Lyme disease all last year, I NOW don't have any issue with what others choose to use, or build, even the banned RRod's.. But...please, don't tell us old guys what was, or what is not traditional(on this Traditional site), or what is not safe...if you are dead wrong.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad we all don't like the same shit.

Hey, I'm lucky the Duesy I'm doing for my friend didn't get deleted. Then again it really was a hot rod in 29 with it's 'store bought' chassis (for $8500!) and custom body (for another $3-4000!). 80 MPH in 2nd gear was claimed but I wouldn't try it today. Fuckin motors are too expensive, there's no blocks to be had if it got "windowed", and quite a few have. Then again who doesn't like a DOHC 4 valve vintage engine?
    IMG_20160727_170235971_HDR.jpg

Clay Belt, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  27. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Where is Ngo Long Dong when we need him?

Sky Six likes this.
  28. F&J

F&J

wow, flashback to the olden days..

"Charlie Owns the Night...:" ... then something like "and a hair salon in Cal"? ...I forget

29. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

F&J I think it was "Charlie owns the night and a nail salon in the mall." I was just hoping for some humor to end this at some ultimately ridiculous conclusion. I guess I will just beat my head on something sharp.

30. F&J

F&J

time marches on....just think what percentage of people on earth have no idea what "Charlie owns the night" means ;) Thanks...I feel old now :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.