Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Cars that Made America

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just watching this show on History. Interesting that th head of ugh that a Mercury looked like a Chevy and that DeLorean work on a souped up Buick to create the GTO option on the '64 Tempest! LOL Its too bad these production companies can't get the facts and props correct. Better than nothing I guess.

2. Deuces

Deuces

History needs guys like us to set them straight......:rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On Hot Rods and Mussel Cars, Jimmy Shine said 55 Chrysler 300s had 300 cubic inch engines with 300 hp. And they said Stu Hilborn had a Chevy Dragster h ran before WW2. By then I gave up.

da34guy and sjrodder like this.
  4. Ya figger Jimmy would know his facts,and maybe that chevy had a flathead:eek::D.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well if Stu had a dragster in 1940, he was quite the visionary. Everyone else had to wait 10 years or so.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Hilborn's "streamliner" later (circa 1952) became a dragster run by Jimmy Scott out of Tulsa. Pretty obtuse reference, but that is as close as I can come to understanding what the show intended to convey.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How 'bout "If you bought a 421 SD Pontiac, the engine came in a box" ...

8. catdad49

catdad49

Come on guys, you're spoiling it for the rest of us! Sounds like they did a pretty good job of it all by themselves, but I'll still watch it.

Deuces likes this.
  9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Show was "better than nothing" but not much. They must have had some crummy tech advisors:rolleyes: They must have gotten some of their facts from hotrod comic books:(

czuch, da34guy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

Noticed an awful lot of smokers and it just looked strange by todays standards.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I tried watching that program....great title for it....but it was a wretched mess for anybody who knew anthing about the subject.

Just makes one wonder how misleading other programs are for subjects we don’t know enough about to recognize the errors.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    czuch, Deuces, DIYGUY and 2 others like this.
  12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And every time they mention Henry Ford, They leave Evangeline Cote out of the discussion.:)

Hnstray likes this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

I think their intent was good. Their research, not so much. Sad part is, the content may actually be used as reference years down the road. This is how history gets all fucked up and becomes gospel to future generations.

302GMC, czuch, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well that certainly piqued my curiosity..........googled her name.....quite the story and one I had not come across before.
    Thanks for the prompt.

Ray

15. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I agree with the comments made. They did a poor job of getting the facts correct and leaving out important people like Big Daddy Don and many others. I would give them a D- on a Hot Rod history paper. If they did such a poor job on this history I think I will take their programs with a grain of salt.

Deuces likes this.
  16. And Thom Taylor didn't have a clue. As usual 4 him.

17. noboD

noboD

We talked about this the first time it was on. It sucked as far as accuracy. In the scene with the Dodge Brothers in their office they are looking at a Rochester quadrajet carb. The car Henry smashes the headlight out of that Edsel built as a replacement for the Model T was a curved dash Olds, they quit building them before the T was ever built. The thing that really sucks is Earnhart Jr. was the producer, it was his money spent to make it. He should have known better!

czuch and Deuces like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trouble is since this a documentary it will be considered fact in the future even tho wrong. No one will be alive to dispute it.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well, at least we can inform young HAMBers. That show and the mussel car and hot rods show that came after it was mostly bull. Poorly researched and way to quickly produced.

Deuces likes this.
  20. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

Most of their "history" shows are riddled with errors...waste of time if you want to learn anything...kind of a shame to waste the time n effort..

21. noboD

noboD

There is a show on History this Wed, night called Speed Demon, I think. Ads show lots of salt flat video. Anyone know anything about it?

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Turn off the volume and watch the pictures.
    At least we have ice road truckers and pickers.
    They've kinda been debunked somewhat too, though.
    Wanna spend some quality time and realize just how bad the lie is?
    Watch, "The wrecking crew".

23. Deuces

Deuces

Sorry! I don't do reality TV... :rolleyes:

Bandit Billy, czuch and Hnstray like this.
  24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Noticed this upcoming program, too. Since watching Monday's attempt, I'll listen to the local bush league ball game while watching ….

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

This show was made for viewers who don't know a Chevy from a Ford from a Plymouth. It sure as hell wasn't made for real car people!

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Been some talk about it on FB. I guess it is about Bonneville and George Poteet. I hope they do better on this one.

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Neither do they. Aint nuthin real about it.
    No need to be sorry for bein smart and not wastin time.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had recorded the show and watched it last night...well I tried watching it anyway. Wasn't worth my time. Research and fact checking are lost arts. The History channel, like the news is just for entertainment and ratings.

29. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regarding Hot Rods and Muscle cars, they probably had a budget of about $4 and had to use stock pictures of whatever they could find. Even the time lines were fucked. Seemed like a not so well done commercial for the 'latest' muscle cars. It was a disaster as was The Cars That Made America. I think some exec at History gave the projects to an unemployed relative who didn't know where Detroit or LA were.

Warren

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Waiting for Speed Daemons. Hope they get that right

Deuces likes this.