Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How about creating a national "tire shaver" registry!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, Jul 6, 2018.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

Hello; in an effort to help those who have unsuccessfully tried to find someone to shave their bias-ply tires into a somewhat round & drivable condition, I would like to suggest that we all pool our resources and start a national tire shaver registry. If possible, we could set it up by state or even certain areas of each state. If nothing more than a business name or personal contact and current phone number, this would help many of us greatly.
    I personally am still looking for someone to do my 2 sets, and the closest to me is about 5+ hours in each direction. Thanks!

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not raggin but theres a thread on that already I'll see if I can find it and add it here but hey still looking. Some of the responses say the tire was no good after or should I say lacking in tread...The last link is just the whole shebang of threads on the search there is 7 pages however many are old.

I have yet to meet any tire service here that has much of a clue about it. One thing I did read in about it it said the tires must be new as debris impregnated in driven rubber can damage the tooling...I dunno.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ruing-service-registry.1017580/#post-12493867

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tire-shaving.385363/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/official-tire-shaving-thread.578512/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/132862855/?q=tire+shaving&o=relevance&c[node]=5

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to track down a machine.

Stogy likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Barnes tire in Brunswick , Ga used to shave and camber my tires for dirt track racing.

Stogy likes this.

5. dan31

dan31

Look for "big truck" tire shops,most of those don't even have them anymore but a list would be a great resource to have.

Stogy likes this.
  6. khead47

khead47

Old tire shop on Ford rd near I-94 in Detroit. Name escapes me at the moment.

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Stogy likes this.
  8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Attached Files:

10. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Those tire truing machines used to be common as dirt. Makes you kinda wonder what happened to all of them as they were fairly simple and durable machines.

When I was working for a tire manufacturer 30-some years ago, we bought a new tire truer and then designed and built a tracer in house so we could cut a slight bit off the tread without actually altering the runout of the tire. When doing handling tests you have to put a hundred miles or so on a set of tires to get rid of mold release agents and such before you can do any tests that will give useful feedback.

Running this wear-in mileage on the road took about 3 hours per set of tires by the time they were mounted, driven, and removed for the next set. Using the tracer truing machine, one man could accomplish the same thing in about 10 minutes per tire.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The machines used to be fairly common place, but all things have changed, including how tires are made and even in the materials used. Biggest drawback to the machines were the blades. It's virtually tires that have been run on the road that are brought in for truing up; new tires were't trued up. Once used, tires have stones in the tread that wear out the blades quickly. At least that was the reason my boss in the late 60's/early 70's used to get rid of the machine we had; hard to make any money with unreal maintenance costs of the equipment. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. A Boner

A Boner

Someone should invent round tires.

Saxman, Fordor Ron, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've sanded my own Bonneville tires with a 6" belt sander. Hard to explain but makes them round. The sander is a bench style I set on the concrete and roll the tire back into it by hand. Takes a lot of time but tires are perfectly round with edges knocked off when I'm done

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber Baumi sanded his down as well...perhaps somewhat differently but still ground away. Good on you guys...

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm a few threads on that isn't there...o_O...:eek:

a boner likes this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

J Palmer, Berlin, ct..near train station, I think brickyard rd..Works on Legends Cars..

17. steve hackel

steve hackel

Reading through some of the "old posts" and following up, I find that most of the people/shops that still have current phone numbers will refuse to do a tire unless 1) the tire is still new 2) they had sold you the tire in the first place ……. 4 of the tires are from Coker and the other 4 are still NOS Firestones, one complete set is mounted on Kelsey wires - so - the 7:00 16 Cokers are 3/16" out of round and we tried changing the mounted positions by rotating them more than one time with no improvement and Coker tells me that they will not accept a return because they have been mounted on wheels. The NOS Firestones are slightly more than 1/16"out of round - or 1/2 the amount of the NEW Cokers. One would think that with all the connections Corky Coker has throughout the USA for selling his tires, he might also have connections for getting them trued up for his customers.

Chucky, Stogy and Casey Riley like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can easily see why some take matters into their own hands It would be nice to see the setup the fellas used...because it apparently worked.

@jimmy six were your Bonneville Tires Firestone Piecrusts? Any chance of a rough draft...of how you set machine and I take it the tire was on the car still?

@Baumi said he used chalk and rotated ground and checked. Perhaps he will chime in with a rough draft for those that may be SOL otherwise...I do remember he said it was real messy and worked much like Jimmy.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Casey Riley likes this.
  19. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 2005 when watching a balancing and shaving of a buddies tires at Nate Jones's in Long Beach Ca I believe I noted clear evidence of shaving being completed on a mail order basis. That being the case it's only a matter of the 2 way shipping??? If the centrics are sorted I don't really see why they can't be shaved off the car. Worth further investigation?

Chris

afaulk likes this.
  20. car doctor

car doctor

Fleming Tire in Mars, Pa. western, Pa. did mine. I have Coker bias ply and they fixed my shaking problem at 65 mph.Phone # 724-625-1577

21. "Coker tells me that they will not accept a return because they have been mounted on wheels."

Now maybe I'm a dumb ass, but how the heck ya supposed to know if they are round or out of balance with out mounting them on rims?

Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  22. doug3968

doug3968

Koeppen Alignment, Butler, PA used to true tires

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I found someone in my area that is a Cocker dealer. Ordered 2 Firestones and one would not ballance out. Dealer called Cocker and they swaped it out...…….. Gio's Tires in Kannapolis NC...…………...

24. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

We do em. True Line Wheel Alignment. El Cajon, Ca. On the car balancing also. We don't do it too often anymore but stio silly rules either. Our machine is an Amermac on the car machine.
    www.truelinewheel.com

pat59 and Stogy like this.
  25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I
    would love to see video of this if Possible

Stogy likes this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

IMHO the very best way to true/balance wheel/tire combo

27. khead47

khead47

That's it. Thanks.

28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's right Steve! Sorry that I'm so late to this party... But what you discribe is exactly what I did on a pair of Coker Classic 560-15s. I let them turn on a balancing machine and put a chalk to the tread while the tire was turning . The multiple high spots were showing white and I ground them down with a 40 grit flapping disc and an angle grinder... What a mess... But the tires were riding smooth as glass after this treatment

brad2v and Stogy like this.
  29. steve hackel

steve hackel

Ok, I broke down and finally found & bought a machine so I could do the job myself. I am located just south west of Chicago and can be contacted through the forum - for now. Thanks, Steve

Happydaze and Stogy like this.