Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any thoughts on this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jul 3, 2018.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Possibly a prototype front end that the Hoffman Group plans on marketing?

2. southerncad

southerncad

Ahh, come on guys, that's a "show car piece", you know, this shows you how not to do...........and many other things:eek:

3. the real issue here is we all want to "self" govern. i hate rules, or being told what to do, but i was also taught right and wrong. this guy needs to be told and showed the error of his judgement. OR we get and have to have more rules, more regulations, more inspections, increased fees/taxes, added safety compliances [think self driving cars] or worse the BANNING of modified cars as we know it. these are the dopes that forced warning stickers on everything ie: "don't put your hand into the spinning lawn mower blades" "coffee is hot" "do not eat soap tablets etc......
    tell the goof ball to keep it off the road until he fixes it.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good god. Someone needs their tools taken away.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy

I was trying to see the spring set up. I see a auto parts shock bolt holding the shock. I actually think the spring shackle is loose on that shock bolt. I see things going down and the grey thing below maybe is the spring. Now that is thinking out of the box!

6. Dang

RICH B likes this.
  7. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

please do not let this guy drive next to you or anyone you know. that is going to break and then he is going into the 1st thing in front of him. HACK JOB for sure. those welds would not hold a baby stroller together, much less a car.

8. Ignorance can kill.

9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I'm afraid, if (when?) it lets go, he'll pitchpole. Can't see enough to tell, but I'm afraid that axle is just hanging out there in front of the frame, "suicide" style.

anthony myrick likes this.
  10. Yes
    Extra suicidal

11. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Other than the dubious welds cited above (look to be made with a Mig, which some pros think should be restricted to boat trailers and the like), other specific flaws are:

1. The spring mounting point seems unnecessarily far back from the axle, which places a high moment at the weld to the axle.
    2. The shock absorber mounting point is even further back, which probably creates an even higher moment on the weld when the corresponding wheel hits a pot-hole (depends on shock stiffness).
    3. The fore & aft locators appear, since they aren't parallel, to be hairpins, rather than "4-bar". When cornering, this places a high twisting torque on axle, which becomes another substantial moment on the weld. (I know, the claim is that a beam axle, vs. tubular, is happy to twist readily, minimizing this effect. I'm not convinced; someday I'm going to test a beam axle to determine it's torsional rigidity. Also, any sloppiness in clevises helps, but is doubtfully a good thing. Many track cars have tubular axles with hairpins, which either lifts the inside wheel on a corner, or is arranged to have a pivoting "bat-wing" on one side's hairpin, so that only one hairpin absorbs any torsional load on the axle.)
    4. The spring shackle appears to be about 45 degrees off of vertical, which results in a horizontal load on the assembly of about equal to the corner weight of the car, hence a moment at the axle weld at 90 degrees to that described in items 1, 2 & 3. (I know, the shackle "slant" is typical, in hopes of preventing lateral movement of the axle. I'd prefer nearly vertical shackles, and a Panhard bar.)

Regarding "bat-wings", note the following;

1. Most are wisely not designed to carry the spring load, are best used with 4-bars, and/or have elastomeric bushings at bar attachment ends for a degree of compliance. Many have integral shock mounts, but keep the shock very close to the axle to minimize moments on the hardware.
    2. For bolt-on bat-wings, if there are provisions for spring shackles behind the axle, I've always wondered what prevents the bat-wings from rotating inwards; the friction in the bolt in the axle's spring perch hole?
    3. I've seen "bat-wings" fabricated from flat plate (1/4 or 3/8"), welded to tube axles, and with shackle attachment for back mounted springs. I may be too conservative, but I can't explain how these arrangements don't fail.

Regarding inspections for "craftsmanship", I believe as many errors are made in the "engineering" stage.

To finish on a positive note, those empty spring perch holes in the axle would be a keen place to mount the headlights!

12. I agree even though it hurt my head a little
    I am also interested in the spring behind argument you pose
    I am in the planning stages for a tube axle that will need the spring mounted behind the axle

13. deucemac

deucemac

A small bit of advice, make sure your life insurance is well paid in advance, and kiss the wife and kids passionately nevery time you go out in that!

14. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Whole new meaning to suicide front end

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Wonder how that would hold up if it had ftont brakes
    Imagine that weld and “kingpin” performing in a hard stop

16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

17. It's like a belt and suspenders approach to a suicide front end. :D:p
    You know, to ensure success

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's some scary looking ironwork. Was the builder wearing white sandals?

19. What are you all worried about?:mad:

It's a trailer queen!;)

Well, at least it better be.:eek:

20. That steering arm probably pulls double duty as the steering stops.
    Looks like it hits the axle.

A Potpourri of bad ideas
    Wonder what modification caused the fuckshow shit fest

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    warhorseracing likes this.
  21. Lots of thoughts, none good....

22. I wonder if this came out of the same garage as the 32 sedan that @Clark is saving?

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My thoughts on this......
    It's an off topic car.
    It's a real 'Poser'.

Recently someone was chastised as being a "Poser' because of 283 valve covers on a 350.:rolleyes:

A car like this is an example of a real poser.
    I have seen these "posers' in the Fire Service.
    In EMS.
    In Historical Reenactment.
    In Traditional Gun Building.
    Disturbingly in all aspects of Automove Repair.
    In Construction.
    In Hot Rodding
    By those who fake being veterans.

Most of the above is some kind of specialized trade or specialized activity.
    A poser is a rule breaker. To some extent they may even be criminal. For example...... claiming that home built POS is a real Model T....A or what ever to get a tag. They take advantage of the system to suit their own needs.
    They want all the accolades of owning a hot rod or being say a fireman, soldier, policeman or mechanic. They can't afford or most of the are too lazy and too cheap to do it right.... so they fake it with gems like this. It's fraudulent.

If you try to call them out or even point out issues.
    You are a.....
    Elitist.
    A snob
    A asshole
    A bully.
    A enemy of the poor working man.

Do not cast your pearls before the Swime. I understand why Mr. Myrick said nothing.....

Why start a bunch a crap at a car show? After all that's the place for the poser to bask in his craptastic craftsmamship. Hell, that's why he built it. Any construction tips are not going to be received well.

I really could care less about off topic cars like this.
    WhatI do care about....

Some day I may build or purchase a T body on an AV8 or a A on 32 Rails... you know a real car built with real stuff.
    I don't want my future car lumped into the same catagory as this piece! There is a difference. We know what it is but the ' Posers' cry moan and bitch to blur these lines. That's what they do, they take advantage.

As far as laws..... already laws are broken just to get it tagged.

What's more going to do?

Make it where I have to get a permit and inspection to put a 4bbl on the Fairlane?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  24. Sooooo,
    We can think and act -
    I hope nobody gets hurt, man just kill yourself and don't hit anyone else when it breaks.

But we shouldn't ever actually say that,,because we're posing as good people?

Nor should we verbally tell them it's wrong or why. Because of posing to be soothers and piece keepers.

Too bad we just can't shoot stupid people

25. Posted for educational purposes
    Someone here may have considered something similar
    Hopefully the constructive criticism will help this person make a better decision

26. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The problem with shooting stupid people is that they'd get the idea that they could shoot stupid people too and be too stupid to know who to shoot. Then we'd all be fucked.

pat59 and verno30 like this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For me this is a lose lose topic. Doubly so so when the politics get in in it.

For education , this is an example of not what not to do.

Vicky and Mr Myrick should be the examples in this thread.

One is a professional who knows how to do it and even fix the mistakes of others which is even more difficult.

The other is also a professional that teaches our youth. He does the research to make sure it's right from the get go.

Both fellows are fine examples that I think highly of.

As far as laws vs freedoms... it's Pandora's box.

28. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. You made me laugh out loud at work.

lewk and anthony myrick like this.
  29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as thoughts on the original post.........yeah. Don't do it.

30. all modifications to suspensions will change its function
    its a matter of what is acceptable and safe for the driver
    the thread on cowl steering was excellent even with the jokes
    our modified lower than stock cars do not require the suspension travel that was originally designed into it, plus we have better roads than what they were designed for.
    however this is mainly a discussion on build quality and design from a structural perspective
    bad performing geometry will hold together with sound construction