Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox B-Pillar Roadblock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alt, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

While I absolutely hate to admit this, I've got an issue with my b-pillar that has been frustrating enough to stall my project for....months. I was making great progress, but then I came to a point where I just can't figure out what needs to be done, so I'm hoping to find some help in the group's wealth of knowledge.

I'm replacing the lower 1/2 of the quarter, the inner and outer rockers, and portions of the floor that are in bad shape. To start, I feel like the inner/outer rocker is the best place to start to maintain and create the proper structure for the rest to follow. The problem is, my lower b-pillar is garbage and I have no idea what it's supposed to look like or how it's supposed to come together with the rockers/floorboard.

Here are some images - wide view:
    1.jpg

Right side close up:
    2.jpg

Left side close up:
    3.jpg

Underside/front:
    4.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This summer was supposed to be gung-ho but I can't seem to get over this hump. Thanks!

2. 62rebel

62rebel

There's sheet metal repopped for repairing those areas, and, honestly, you should have fixed them first. That said, I think the guys at Sherman Sheet Metal can hook you up with those pieces. Don't let the job get to you, almost every shoebox east of Mississippi looks like that.

rjones35 likes this.
  3. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

Sherman Sheet Metal seems to have a very limited selection of items (floor replacement parts only) for the 1950 Tudor. I've had a hell of a time trying to find any pillar replacement parts or donor parts online.

4. I had a tough time with that too. I started messing around with an inner fender brace (front fender, that is. Available from Shoebox Central, etc.). You know what? It fits right in there. I welded it to the b-pillar and to the inner rocker, as well as the new floor pan. Solid as a rock and ugly as sin, but the interior panel covers it all up. Sorry I don’t have photos.

5. Did you brace the body before you started cutting it away? Looks like it's sagging.

The bottom of the B pillar is basically an L bracket, if I remember. There wasn't much left of mine either, I think there are some photos of that area in my build thread. I didn't have clue what I was doing so I just kept plowing ahead. Keep everything braced and aligned, things will flex if you don't.

EMS has a pretty decent selection of replacement panels. Nothing is plug-n-play, everything requires modifications. Floor pieces and inner rockers are easy to make.

Shoebox Central is a good source. Chris has lots of parts and info, I find his prices are a bit steep, but if he's got what you need then it's worth the price. He's got parts cars.

Join the Shoebox Owners social group. The group is dead but there's a lot of good info, including a ton of build threads so you can see how it's all been done before...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/shoe-box-hambers.112/

warhorseracing likes this.
  6. I'll second that and EMS or Shoebox Central can help out. Shoebox Central dismantles these cars so he may be able to remove what you need from an actual car if that area isn't reproduced.

7. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

Thanks for all the helpful info guys.

Called the guys at Shoebox Central - he said all their donor cars have trashed b-pillars as well and suggested just fabricating my own.
    I think this is where I'm at now. Gotta just jump into it and make some progress rather than staring at it day after day.