Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ididit steering column in a 1951 3100. How to attach to original gearbox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusted51chevy, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Rusted51chevy

Rusted51chevy

Hello all!

Installing an Ididit in my 1951 chevy truck. However, it appears the original column is a single piece with the gearbox?

The kit I purchased for these all say it is a direct bolt in... Any help and/or pictures is great appreciated if you have already done this!

Thanks!

Buck28 likes this.
  2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Might mean a bolt in for Mustang two installation. There are several threads on modifying the original
    steering column for Mustang two type installs, should work in reverse for your application.

Rusted51chevy and F&J like this.
  3. it won't just bolt in, you will have to make it work. how long of a column did you buy? make sure it is not too long. you will have to cut the original shaft coming out of the box [to the correct length] and file some flats on the side to get a dd universal to slide onto it. if you are thinking about ever going with power steering now is the time. there are a couple "kits" that would work. one uses a toyota steering box that is located in the same spot as the original box the other uses the common gm box located in front of the axle. both have their pro's and cons. the toyota box is not as common and takes up room that a biger engine may need in the engine compartment, but the install is very easy. the gm box is out of the way, but you have to make a few frame mods, move the shocks and you will loose steering radius.

Rusted51chevy, Buck28, belair and 2 others like this.
  4. Yup, they all say bolt in......
    So yes, the column may bolt in but you will need to make the connection to the box. Just like TB33 said, you'll need to decide what to connect the two shafts together with. The shaft from your existing steering gear will need to be cut and modified to make the connection. Most likely DD.
    Assuming the end of the Ididit is DD. You’d need straight DD to DD or a universal joint if there is mis-alignment

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Rusted51chevy and Buck28 like this.

5. Buck28

Buck28

In for the knowledge, about to do the same thing with my 59. TIA
    I know LMC sells a steering coupler & other places do with varying attachment widths. I have not looked to see what is the right one

Rusted51chevy likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

the shaft you will cut off is 3/4" round, you need to modify it to attach a coupler. I'd just leave the stock column, if it were my truck. I did a tilt column back in 1981....and it's not an improvement...

7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm totally with squirrel on this one. As much as I think ididit has some great products and looks really good, I would stick with the stock column. The column seems to be where my eyes are drawn to when checking out an interior of a vehicle at a car show or cruise night. When thinking about steering columns I can't help but think of those cars you used to see in the 70s and early 80s that would have a modern tilt column in it and it would look like a tree trunk sticking up out of the dash and it would be the focal point when you looked in. I actually cut one out of a 48 ford to retro fit into my deuce roadster.

8. Rusted51chevy

Rusted51chevy

Well that sucks, I was hoping to just plug and play. The wire harness is enough of a hassle because the previous owner did a hack job under the dash...

The new column measures 34” from DD to top of steering wheel thread. It’s is part number #1120651010 from ididit.

I am not going to do power steering at this time. Eventually I will do a complete frame off and will do it then.

On the original gearbox are you saying I need to cut the mast jacket to expose the steering shaft. Then determine the height I need to cut the shaft, file down to fit a DD coupler then attach?

Do they make a universal to DD so I can maybe skip the file step?

Thanks everyone for the help.

9. squirrel

squirrel

The problem is the shaft from the steering box is one piece, from the gear inside. to the splines and thread where the steering wheel attaches. You have to cut this shaft, then modify it so that you can connect to it in a way that won't twist apart under high torque loading (and there is a LOT of torque on that shaft with manual steering in an old truck). The best way to do this is to machine splines on the shaft, but that's pretty difficult unless you have some sophisticated machining equipment. Next best is to mill flats on the shaft, which kind of requires a mill. You could grind or file the flats. Beware that it's easy to grind too far quickly, so filing is really the best approach.

10. Rusted51chevy

Rusted51chevy

Yeah I think I’ll just leave it alone until I do a frame off. Wish I would of known this before paying 500 for the column. Should of done more reasearch first but bolt in to me means bolt in.

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If you think bolt in means bolt in, wait till you buy aftermarket body parts!

ramblin dan, 49ratfink and squirrel like this.
  12. I had good results with a 3/4 ID tube to 3/4 DD adapter from CPP.
    Fit the adapter over the cut shaft (tolerance fit) and then cross dowel pinned the assembly and welded.

13. Food for thought, their columns use their own style ignition switch only serviceable by sending it back to them. At least a 2 week turnaround and a PITA. Happened on a 49 Chevy truck I sold last year.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

$500.00 for a steering column?? holy smokes.

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That column will look as ugly and out of place as Phil Mickelson's long sleeve button down 'golf shirt'.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yes Ididit and Flaming River will not sell you parts, any part at all.... you have to send it to them for repair.

ramblin dan likes this.
  17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm sure most people don't know that. I sure didn't.