Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Casting club plaque

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Does anyone know the going rate for casting a aluminum car club plaque? I was quoted $80 seem pricey for a aluminum plaque.

2. It's set up cost more then cheaper after that.

3. williebill

williebill

If you just want one that's not a stock design, I'd say $80 is cheap.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. You have a proper pattern ?

5. They have a pattern already. They just need to cast them that doesn't include polishing or anything

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

7. oldolds

oldolds

One pattern means you pound sand for one plate. Take it out pound sand for another one. Repeat. 10- 15 minutes to pound each mold. Heat the aluminum and pour. So 4 plates take at least an hour. If the pour doesn't work you get to do it again. You are dealing with heavy industry when melting metal. Not $50/hr mechanic shop rates.
    Did some sand casting in high school shop class. Hot dirty work.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Try Dennis O'Brien (59BuickWagon) here on the hamb,he recently did 4 vintage plaques for me and they were around 50 bucks each,painted & polished. Alliance members get a discount,but still less expensive than what you have been quoted. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Talk yo him last nite wow sticker shock lol

10. If you can't do it yourself, you pay to play.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

In a case like this, I always asked myself, "How much would I charge?" even if I had all the equipment needed. Unless your living in a third world country it won't be cheap as most companies have a minimum charge. As a metal shop teacher, I did lots of sand casting years ago. The more you do, the flask seems to get heavier., especially if it's steel. It's very labor intensive. as you know.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Old GW

Old GW

A friend of mine ( Phil Anderson ) hand carved the pattern from a piece of pine 2 x 8.about 55 years ago. We cast the plaques in the school foundry. Maybe juniors or seniors at the time. 096.JPG

13. I've done a quite bit of foundry work at home. Try the books by Dave Gingery. Lots of good info. You Tube has many videos on casting. For a quick one time pour, you can cobble up a furnace with some fire brick and a shop vac. Fire it with charcoal. I welded a cap on a short length of 4 inch pipe for a crucible. Mix some play sand and some bentonite clay or ground up kitty litter. Knock out a flask from plywood or whatever you have lying around. Ram it up and pour. You might get hooked

cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a thread...possibly invaded by redx's...but you never know and it was very detailed.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  16. Did you call me?
    If you send me the pattern you have it's $40 for one copy as cast. For $5 I'll paint (one color) and belt sand it. Add ten bucks for shipping and you're at $50 or $55 depending finish.
    Vs. $80 with no shipping that doesn't sound like sticker shock.
    You can find the above info on my website where it hasn't changed since 2007.
    And it even goes faster if the old plaque you have (or are looking for) is one of the original 12,000 patterns I have from Chicago Metal Craft and Speed Gems that were made in the 1950/60's....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kidcampbell71, cactus1, 325w and 4 others like this.
  17. I emailed you unless I email the wrong person I was told $280 each

18. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

O’Briens did ours, look them up they will take care of you.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

You E-mailed the WRONG person. Dennis has never charged that much for a plaque.

$280.00 sounds more like what would be charged for a lowrider plaque.