Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Swap meet scores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 28, 2018.

1. mopacltd

mopacltd

Same swap meet. 200 old license plates dating back to 1918 for $35. Sold 5 of them for $250 as soon as I got home. The rest are mounted on the garage wall.

Vanness and enloe like this.
  2. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Went to the swap meet in Abbotsford BC, Friday. It opens at 2 pm we were standing in line to get in, weather perfect for swapping.

I was looking for some model t parts and found a guy that had purchased an estate of T and A parts. Lots of new new t parts still in their packages with the vendor part numbers. manifold gaskets, old copper seal rings for spark plugs, new brass radiator cap, threaded front wheel bearings both cups and cones. Lot of new new smalls. The best part was the seller handed me a smaller cardboard box and said all you can get in the box for $15.00. I heaped the box and gave the guy $15.00.

Another vendor had 20 rolls of the new type of masking paper, different sizes and textures. All rolls $2.00 each so I bought the entire box full, 20 rolls. Another good score. The best part is Canadian dollar discount is 25 cents on the US dollar so that was a 25% discount on all we bought. Lots of street rod parts , and 50's and 60's chrome at really good prices.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Unkl Ian, raceron1120 and 48fordnut like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy that was vending said the swapper at Epping was a little slow... race cars weren't !

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

At the end of a Turlock Swap I came across a guy loading up and looking at a pile of rusty stuff that didn't sell. I asked him about it and he said,"gimme $20 for all of it, I don't want to load it again". OKAY. There was two '36 rear radius rods, a rear spring, a complete '36 front axle, brakes and spring and four various old Ford steering columns from steering wheel to Pitman arm. Sold some and used most of it over the years, still have some of it.
    But the BEST; I bought my '48 Austin '60s Gasser and most everything was in good shape except the grill. Great, they are one of the hardest things to find for old British cars these days. At the big Sacramento Swap Meet I was standing in line to pay for a '56 Chevy speaker grill. I looked down and under the table was a bunch of stuff including some grill pieces - 7 pieces wired together with baling wire.
    Honestly, my heart started to race as as my wife asked, "what did you find?" Uhh, shhh, Austin grill parts. So my turn came to pay. $60 for all of the grill pieces and $5 for the speaker grill.
    He asks me, "What are those?" Uhh, old Austin I think. "Well I hope they work for you, thanks"
    One complete grill, the center strip, and two extra segments with chrome good enough to just bolt onto my Austin! Unbelievable. And I wasn't even gonna go to the swap - the wife talked me into it since we hadn't been to a car event in a while.

enloe likes this.
  5. Fordors

Fordors

I hope you didn’t go home and expect her to cook too Bob!?!

enloe likes this.
  6. At Norwich (NY) Saturday: Another side locking gas cap for $2.50. The last two I had sold for $100 for the nice one and $50 for the one I spent a little time cleaning up. 53 Pontiac hood bar extension (goes on the fender), $5. Cleaned up it's probably worth $50, NOS are big money, chrome looks okay on this under some old clear or gold tint paint.

Then this morning someone tossed some crap they didn't want to take home, so I picked up an early Flathead intake free. It's the aluminum one, I had one and sold it at that same swap for $40 a number of years ago. Picked up some other small bits I tossed in my crates, some dollar things, a couple $5 things.

raceron1120 and enloe like this.
  7. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I usually take stuff to get it out of my way as well.
    Hell, I gave away about 30% of what I took to the Monroe swap meet a couple weeks ago.
    Quite a few times I have sold stuff and saw it at another stall soon after. No skin off my ass.
    Just glad it’s gone!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have collected/bought/sold/traded hubcaps and wheel covers since I was like 10 years old( I am dang near 67 now) and now have thousands of them. That being said I am always on the look out at swap meets for caps. A few years ago I was set up at the Lancaster, Ohio annual car show and swap meet. I was on my way to the restroom and passed by a vendor that had a few hubcaps and wheel covers and there was a set of five oem wire caps used on 56-56 Pontiacs in pretty decent condition. I asked how much and the guy said how many you want? I told him I would take them all if I could afford them. He said 50 bucks work for you? Hell yes!! He told me that was the easiest 50 bucks he ever made as his neighbor gave them to him to get rid of them. I listed them on you know where and the last bid was $1,200.00.

patmanta, RICH B and raceron1120 like this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bought a 4-speed console and shifter from a vendor for a O/T Mopar for $450 and while walking back to my swap space met a guy who’s first words were “Holy crap!!! I’ve been searching for one of those for years!!!! How much?”
    I added a 1 in front of the 450 and he handed me $1500 and thanked me for helping him get the last part he needed.
    I like making people happy.

Unkl Ian, bchctybob, 56don and 2 others like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oh hell no. When she spends her precious day off walking around looking at car parts with me, she gets dinner at the restaurant of her choice on the way home!

11. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

unknown OR swaps..

Weiand w06 6x2 intake for early Olds 303 324 .. picked them up and thought they were repops not a spot of oil/dirt.. 50$

stack of 40+ early Hot Rod magazines some second year 49's 75$

Yankee 960 turn signal switch, the name doesn't inspire confidence but if you've never seen one they are of a cool physical appearance imo.. great for a custom.. 5$

Oregon isn't great for the most part along w/the people, a sea of shall we say those who haven't made a mark in the world and seems as though every one think's their relevant.. but on occasion you can find some affordable parts/tin..:D

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Been going to Jefferson off and on for years, my best purchase consistently is a Big Bar, always priced Right and Very Good.

13. A different take....I was swap meeting for YEARS prior to the internet showing up. A few years ago, I decided to get rid of it all. I was at the southern Oregon swap meet here and yelled, "$50.00 for EVERYTHING! Come and get it!" FINALLY, after about 15 minutes of yelling, two guys from Roseburg came over and asked if I was serious. I said yes and they loaded all 50 or so boxes up. A couple of weeks later, the internet and Ebay showed up. I had some great stuff in those boxes. I have been kicking myself since.

enloe and TagMan like this.
  14. 8CB4560A-6C91-4AF4-B52A-65DC69EA5AA2.jpeg
    20 bucks yesterday it the nockcalulu swap meet in Gadsden

Maverick Daddy and enloe like this.
  15. Gabby

Gabby

Not a swap meet score but Monday I found a 32 grill and grill shell in an antique shop. Had been filled and shorten 3 in. Picked it up for $350.

enloe likes this.
  16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you want to double your money?:)

17. philo426

philo426

They seem kinda small V-6 or V-8.?

18. not yet
    thinking about running an fe in my merc
    I got a good 352 and those wold look cool on it

19. The valve covers?
    They are mid 60s mercury FE covers
    Probably from a 390 or 410

20. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Latimore Valley (PA) AACA swap meet Saturday.
    1931. Most 87 year olds haven’t held up this well.
    BTW, if you haven’t stopped to visit the Eastern Sprint Car Museum there, get there.

Attached Files:

Cosmo49 likes this.
  21. I went to the Noccalula Falls meet Friday and there was only about half the vendors that are usually there. Was it full on Saturday?

22. seemed OK, I got there after 11 on Saturday
    not a lot of folks digging thru stuff, then it sprinkled
    I got tickled watching sellers load up rusty parts so they would not get wet

raceron1120 likes this.