Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford Roadster (new - shorter) timeline/build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bandoola, May 10, 2018.

1. bandoola

bandoola

F&J, I fear you may be correct. In fact, have you two been talking? Because she practically quoted you this afternoon.

chryslerfan55, Cyclone Kevin and F&J like this.
  2. bandoola

bandoola

Got an update from the shop today; the plan for this week is to mount the radiator, and get started on the dash and instruments. Hopefully I'll have some progress pictures by the end of the week.
    Still looking at 2 months for the car and 3 - 4 for my leg. Which led to a very interesting after dinner conversation this evening. Out of the blue, she told me how her father taught her to drive a manual shift when she was in high school by soaking their front "lawn" with water so the wheels would just spin while she practiced using a clutch and shifting. I managed to raise my eyebrows, but before I could utter a simple, "Why are you telling me this now?", she continued with, "Well, it will be at least a month before you're able drive that car." The smoke from my cigar masked the look of bewilderment on my face, and some mysterious force kept my mouth shut. I considered my options for a response and chose silence, narrowing eyes, and a long - slow puff of smoke. She gave me one of "those" smiles. On the wings of a chill breeze - that mysterious force told me BOB, F&J, 30tudor, and Kevin were smiling too.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    loudbang, Outback, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  3. bandoola

bandoola

Progress report: Front fenders are off, to adjust fit and allow better access to the engine compartment. Radiator being fitted. I'm sure most of you guys know better than me what's next. I'm relegated to sitting on the couch with my leg in the air - waiting for pictures from the guys in the shop.
    IMG_5374.jpg IMG_5374.jpg

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  4. bandoola

bandoola

Well, somehow I managed to post 2 pictures exactly the same - sorry.

5. bandoola

bandoola

Radiator is in. Fitting the grill to the hood and front aprons is next, (I'm told). Then fenders back on. Getting closer.
    IMG_5375.jpg IMG_5376.jpg

6. This is GREAT I thought for a moment that I was reading a hot sexy romance novel. My heart is still pounding waiting for next page.
    B-O-B

Outback, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. bandoola

bandoola

Well, here's the latest - at least on the car; B-O-B, I'm still working on the next page.
    Radiator and grill are set, and hoses attached. I think most of the engine bay work is done. Fenders are back on and getting adjusted for final fit, and the hood is getting fitted as well. I don't think they're permanent yet - but here's a couple pictures of how it's looking so far. IMG_5386.jpg IMG_5387.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  8. OOOOH very nice. I bet you can't wait till it is done .

9. bandoola

bandoola

You are so right about that. And having a broken leg makes the waiting even tougher. Vern and the guys are working hard to maintain their schedule.

The Dr told me look to August before considering driving a manual trans. I know the guys in the shop were planning on driving it a bit before they turned it loose; so maybe just a month or less where I would have to be chauffeured. I'm in the same boat with my jeep - maybe even longer. With the 34, its got suicide doors and is the proper height for me to just turn and drop into the seat; the jeep is so high off the ground I have to step on the rear tire to get up onto the side rail to step into it. Oh well, the time will pass.

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well I see that your wife ended up with a nice lil MBZ Ragtop. That leaves me with the responsibility to chauffeur you around in that fine “MEZCUN” 34, And to think that I kept my chauffeur license current for 25 yrs.
    I knew it would come in handy someday ;). !!!! I have some mighty fine “Speriience” driving model 40’s of my own;). How much does that job pay again $?

Attached Files:

32SEDAN, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! You did everything right! Doesn't get any better! Keep listening to her, hahahhaha

Im in the same boat but I won't admit it...

12. bandoola

bandoola

Kevin,
    Thanks, you might just have to do that, especially if you're already planning on being up here. As far as I know they are still thinking June/July. I cancelled the jeep trip in August, but I haven't completely ruled out Hot August Nights in Reno. Are you going?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Haven’t decided yet, you just might have ta twist my arm ;).

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Blindingly beautiful! ;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. bandoola

bandoola

Thanks Brian, I hope you like what you see in the next set of pictures. They rolled her out of the shop this morning, there's still some work to do - headers, upholstery, final detailing, but this gives an idea of what the car will look like when finished. I like the stance. IMG_5395.jpg IMG_5396.jpg IMG_5397.jpg

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  16. bct

bct

17. That car is beautiful, I am so so so glad you decided to go this route. That car, how it is now, will bring more attention then any street rodded version. It's a true time machine, you are a fortunate man. I can't wait to see it out on the road. 34 roadsters ARE the best :D

18. exterminator

exterminator

If you need to ,you may park it in my garage along with the pink and keys. Thank you. LOL;)

19. bandoola

bandoola

Thanks Chris,
    When I got those pictures, I just stared at them - especially the side view; I didn't know what to say - it is beautiful. And yes, I am fortunate - I have said this before, (and I don't want to sound like a broken record), I am fortunate guys like you took the time to steer me in the right direction. That car is the result of hands-on efforts of Vern and Spenser and wisdom and guidance of this forum.
    I have come to accept how fortunate I am to have acquired it - not because I spent years searching, but because so many of you have said so. Truly understanding the attention it will receive and appreciating its significance as a "time machine" eludes me. That is something I hope to rectify. Vern has told me there are some shows he wants the car to attend. It is my hope this will afford the opportunity for each and every one of you to walk up and say, "I told you so" and allow me to thank you all in person.
    Fortunate? Finding the car was luck - blind luck. My good fortune was finding my new "friends I've never met" on this forum.

Outback, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  20. bandoola

bandoola

Sir,
    Your generosity knows no bounds. The sacrifices you and others on this forum are willing to endure and the lengths to which you will go to help are immeasurable. I am overwhelmed. ;)
    How big is your garage? Should your offer be in effect when my wife discovers my next project - I may be forced to seek refuge in your garage.
    Thanks for the levity - sitting around with a broken leg is getting tiresome.
    (If you find yourself headed to the Napa Valley - send me a note.)

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. bandoola

bandoola

22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Enjoy !

23. trey32

trey32

I know it's off topic, but that Jeep is just unreal...

24. bandoola

bandoola

Thanks, it is a bit - different; but very capable and fun to drive.

25. bandoola

bandoola

Today was a big day: My cousin loaded me in my truck and drove me over to Vern's; where, broken leg not withstanding - I managed to get myself into the passenger seat and go for a ride. I attempted a video but the lack of a windshield and mufflers resulted in a very poor product. I did get some more pictures. The estimate for completion is still end of June/early July. Still prior to me being able to drive it. I hate to say it, but those of you supporting my wife driving the car (and you know who you are) might just see that happen.

IMG_5420.jpg IMG_5425.jpg IMG_5427.jpg IMG_5434.jpg

26. scotti32

scotti32

27. Car looks great! Nice job that you and Mr Tardel have done.
    Since you can't drive it for a bit(sorry) and your wife doesn't do standards, and I just retired, maybe I should come out and exercise the roadster for you? My son just moved to the south Bay area, so I could visit him as well. :) Let me know.

28. bandoola

bandoola

Thank you, but I had little to do with it - it's all Vern and his crew.
    Your offer is most kind, as I replied to "Exterminator", if you're headed to the Napa Valley - let me know.

29. All those fine pictures and you haven't chosen to use one for your avatar? Personally I'd use the as found shot in the starting post. So much for the nag. I'll add my voice to the chorus of "glad ya took this route...…", and point out that offers to store it for you in California are far riskier than sending it down here to Texas where I'd keep it in climate controlled comfort. Just sayin'...……….

Outback, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. bandoola

bandoola

Uncle Bob, so nice to hear from you - you are that voice of reason in the chaotic sea. Your footnote quotes make me smile. To be honest I had not thought about an avatar, but your suggestion is a good one. I do have one I use on a couple other forums - it's me in one of the planes I flew for the LoneStar Flight Museum in Galveston. Probably not apropos to this forum - but it is a cool picture.
    My son is in Austin and I am sure would love the idea of the car being with you, thank you.
    I don't foresee a drive to Austin in the roadster, but wouldn't rule out trailering it there someday.

Here's the picture, and I'll work on that avatar.
    20770095_1235890529850707_2693677551423797396_n copy.jpeg
    Picture copy righted by the photographer - the great Bill Crump.