Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Road Tripping in The 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffthisted, May 29, 2018.

1. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,
    Great story about getting to your niece's championships in Colorado. Your 55 wagon is one cool cruiser and has that "hot rod look" from the early days. I am glad you had only a few problems that were solved. That portion of the USA is pretty nice and sometimes driving on those long stretches allows one to think of how small we are in the world.

Several years ago, we did the similar trip backward from Kansas City back to Denver, Loveland Pass, Dillon and so on, like you did, ending up at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Of course, we did not have a cool 55 wagon like yours. We thought of a visitation of some friends in Colorado, (Dillon) on the way East this year, but we shall see...

You are a good writer and kept the reader intrigued all the way to the end of the story. Hope to read more adventures soon. Please post more photos of your 55 wagon. It is too nice to pass up...

Jnaki
    AAA is a good thing to have in your back pocket, at home and during cross country traveling.

jeffthisted and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

Thanks for the nice note Jnaki!
    Sounds like you had a great trip too.
    Part 2 of the story is coming out next week so stay tuned.

jnaki likes this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'll leave my comment here if you don't mind, I just hate having to post my email address everywhere.

I enjoyed your travelogue. The car is righteous (and thankfully it isn't a gasser clone) and you
    photographed it nicely. Some of the scenes are extraordinary and you did them justice. I'm
    glad for you that there was no real horror story. Congratulations to your niece also. She can be
    proud of her accomplishment. What the heck, you can, too.

jeffthisted likes this.

5. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

Thanks so much for the kind words Quick85!!
    I'm an amateur photographer - I took all of those pictures with my iPhone.
    But I had a great time!!
    And yeah - I'm a proud Uncle!!!

quick85 likes this.
  6. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

Thanks for all the comments you guys!
    Part 2 is coming out next week.
    Stay tuned

7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I just got back from Gunnison in May. The black canyon was something else.

jeffthisted likes this.
  8. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is amazing right Chavezk21?!? Next time I wanna hit the Great Sand Dunes, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.

9. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Jeff,

What a wonderful story to end a great trip. I enjoyed reading and looking at the great photos. It certainly was pro writing and photography, a great combo... Watching the Pikes Peak races here and there over the years, your trip was scary. But, you were lucky and the "gods" were with you.

Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon were all on our itinerary when we went through that time zone. (Especially those comfy chairs facing the windows at the Grand Canyon Lodge, Northside) After the high altitude mountains of Colorado, driving through the odd color areas of the Utah National Parks was very different. Arizona and Nevada, that is another story in itself.

Jnaki

Thanks for a recent, great trip, story experience in your 55 Chevy wagon. That was a very cool way to see the sights and enjoy the environment, very envious...

SEE THE USA...

11. 270283

Enjoyed your road trip. We have been to that part of the country and it is truly spectacular. Your trip makes me want to go back. As an aside, back in the seventies I owned a '55 Belair four door wagon that I had painted a Chrysler gold color with Cragar wheels. Your trip makes me wish I had kept it!

12. jeffthisted

jeffthisted

Thanks so much Jnaki!
    It was an epic trip!
    I'm getting ready for the Hot Rod Power Tour right now.