Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A 2" hose on a 1.5" radiator inlet ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve hackel, May 29, 2018.

1. steve hackel

steve hackel

I have a B' engine in my 31 A, and the outlet from the pump is 2" going into the top tank of a stock radiator. Here is my situation: for me to have someone rod out the core, fill in the original filler neck and then add a pressurized filler elbow on the back side of the top tank so I can run my 32 shell, this amount exceeds the cost of several of the replacement all aluminum radiators sold on e-bay. These are for a 32 shell (1" shorter), they have a 90 degree pressurized elbow on the back side of the top tank, come in either 3 or 4 row design, and would be a great replacement at less than the cost of repairing & modifying my 80 year old original radiator. The only issue I have is that none of the manufacturers will modify the radiators they sell & all of them are 1.5" inlet in the top tanks. Does anyone make a hose reducer from 2" to 1.5", or is there a hose available with a 2" on one end and a 1.5" on the other? What other suggestions might any of you have? Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. download.jpeg You can buy "bushings" or adapters, this is not the exact one you need but it will get you on track.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  3. You need a 2" splice nipple. It gets clamp clutter but it's easy
    image.png

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  4. What about putting a piece of the 1 1/2 inch hose on it them sliding the 2 inch over that and use one clamp?

5. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

I seen this done on a Jeep radiator that I modified.. was working well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Done it many times. In fact that's pretty much how those fluted metal radiator hoses do it and those are on COUNTLESS hot rods.

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the above works perfectly. If I doubt use double hose clamps .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Hot rodding ingenuity at its' finest.:)

9. 34Phil

34Phil

Back of hose catalog is sleeves

10. I used an exhaust reducer

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. A flex hose might work too, they come with different sized ends

13. Love to see problem solvers. I learn something new every day here.

14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've used hoses that had different-sized ends...

15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

How about a metal tube upper? Can make the shape you want and either end can be sized how you need it. Something like this:

100_1863.JPG

SPark

16. steve hackel

steve hackel

Fantastic ideas and solutions to a simple problem. For now the best direction will be the stainless tube reducer from Fillerneck Supply and then get back to all of the dealers on ebay for their radiators listed. I need them to supply me with their mounting bracket measurements: heights - widths - offsets , so I can make a good choice.. Aganin, thanks to everyone for your help. Steve

17. mike bowling

mike bowling

I agree 200%. When they first told me about these, I was thinking "Ya, right! That things going to leak like hell!. Well, I was wrong! ( 2nd time this year). They work great, they're cheap, you don't really see them, and you don't need a pile of clamps to hold it together.
    I get them from NAPA, but any auto parts store will probably have them.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There should be a universal flexible hose that is 1 1/2 at one end and 2" at the other.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rock Auto has the Gates one for $4.75. Jegs gets $11.60. Just sayin'...