Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How good can you make a Windsor look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChoppaScott, May 6, 2018.

1. brjnelson

brjnelson

Go for the pre 1963 look with no fillers or breathers on the valve covers and the early timing cover with the oil fill tube / berather.
    You will have to drill a hole through the block webbing so the oil from the fill tube gets into the engine at the lifter valley.
    I have a 302 that looks like a early 289 HiPo in my 63 Sports Coupe.

PunkAssGearhead88 and Just Gary like this.
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some of you all sure read a lot into posts that were never there. Read through the thread again and you won't see anybody promoting SBC's, 350's, HEI distributors or Quadrajet carbs (which IMO do not look right in an early Ford either!). You guys just inserted all of that. Sorry, but bashing SBC's is not a valid defense of your SBF love.
    Any others?
    Hot Rod magazine featured Tom Pollard's roadster on the Jan 1955 cover, with a SBC in it.
    What is ignorant is making a rant against an argument that nobody has made. Nobody compared it to the SBC but you guys.
    So now it's personal insults too? Nice.
    hahahaha! Now that's a riot! Anything can clear the firewall, if you're not concerned with installing a radiator in it! LOL!
    Yeah, hard to beat a hemi for good looks.

4. This one doesn't suck. Although it *is* in an OT Mustang engine bay.:rolleyes:
    Edelbrock-Car-Show-2018_020.jpg

5. 1 ain't "many".

6. Deuces

Deuces

Nice!.......:cool:

7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Sorry Blues4U. Didn't mean to offend but reading through this there was a picture of a dumpster, remarks of the angled valve covers, the distributor in the front and so on. I was just giving my $.02. My personal preference is FORD but I also have my mom's ordered in 1971 chevelle SS and I absolutely love my brother's 69 SS/RS Camaro.

Deuces and Blues4U like this.
  8. This isn't a very good idea.... while it gives the very early 'look', Ford abandoned this design for a reason. They quickly found out that due to poor air circulation inside the motor (particularly in the heads/valve train), it promoted sludge build-up because it didn't remove condensation very well. You also need to install either a PCV valve or 'road draft' vent in the rear of the intake; failure to do this will make the issue worse. If you do install in the intake, it has to be baffled correctly or you can spew oil out at high RPM. The '62-63 SBFs were known for rotting the dipstick in two because of condensation build-up in the dipstick tube.

By putting the PCV on one valve cover and the vented oil fill on the other, that ensured full air changes though the entire motor interior. By the mid '60s, virtually every American V8 used this type of crankcase ventilation.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Blues4U likes this.
  9. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Mr. blues man, I just looked at your profile and see that you have posted a couple thousand times, so I know that I certainly have not read all of your postings, or even a small percentage of them. Also I see that you have a large number of likes, so you must not be as bad as you appear in my recollections. However, every time I can remember seeing you post you were looking to argue about something or pick a fight.

I have never enjoyed an argumentative conversation, so I think I'll just skip over your postings in the future and be a little happier in my own life.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built in mid 60s, owned now by original builder's son. And that's a pre-65 5 bolt 289, same engine put in the car when it was built. And yes I'm contradicting my own statement about finned aluminum, original Cobra valve covers are an exception! Always happy to admit when I'm wrong...
    23 T orange 289 webers3.jpg 23 T orange 289 webers.jpg 23 T orange 289 webers2.jpg

11. carbking

carbking

F-1 - the 289 certainly was available in the full size 1963 Galaxie, we brought one home on 12 April 1963. It was a real dog in that size car. But it was exceptionally reliable.

As to the comment for beauty "put a hemi in it", I agree, a DOHC hemi.

Jon.

12. redzoro

redzoro
    from Elkton fl

13. redzoro

redzoro
    from Elkton fl

In the mid 70's my younger brother drove a beat up base model 66 Ford 4dr custom with a stock 289 2barrel single exhaust 3 speed stick tall 15 inch tires ...don't know how fast it was but he could spin the tires ( good treads properly inflated ) easy laying rubber in 1st and 2nd on relatively clean dry asphalt and get good gas mileage when not hotrodding it ...he got it from a mechanic friend of mine who got it with a blown clutch and bellhousing ...he fixed it with used parts he had on hand

14. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

You have done a very nice job detailing your motor. I have one question, what did you do to plug the heater outlet on the water pump? It is the cleanest way I have ever seen it done.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I pulled the hose nipple, then drilled and tapped for an Allen plug.

16. In the 1970's my buddy had a 65 Galaxie with a full custom paint job and a 351 Windsor. He bought the car and didn't touch the engine but that thing would run with Z28's and Mach 1's. He passed away a few years ago and I have been trying to track down pictures with no luck. It was crazy watching him entice these cars into racing and beating them. The motor had a chrome air cleaner and valve covers but the rest was blue. Thanks for this thread to joggle my memory. We even changed the lyrics of a Paul McCartney song for this car. It went:
    Well the wheels exploded with a mighty crack
    As the pistons went through the hood
    And the first one said to the second one there
    We beat him good
    Joe #### on the run
    Joe #### on the run (last name left out)
    Street racing was great and dangerous all at the same time!

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the look of the Windsor but I prefer the four in hand personally.

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Make them as compact as possible and tuck them into the firewall tight. My mock up.

SPark

fweng4.jpg fweng2.jpg fweng9.jpg fweng10.jpg

19. Are those a set of those ebay 'street rod' headers I see advertised? If so, how low do they hang down? Below the bottom of the flywheel? By how much?

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

shes still ugly in the morning though

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

These are Speedway ceramic coated headers. Hang about 4" below the frame rail with my engine location.
    SPark

exh3.jpg exh29.jpg

mcsfabrication and Deuces like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

23. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Good point, however, this would be the case if you were running an SBC with the "Chevrolet" script valve covers as well, which a lot of people do.

24. But the Chevies don't seem to build up the same condensation the Fords do. I've pulled more than a few 62-63 SBFs apart that were sludged heavily; they seem to be more prone to it, even over the older Ford motors. Now, with modern oils and the pampered existence most now live, it may not matter. But I do know that the ones I owned 'back in the day' would get milky sludge build-up in the breather cap and at the top of the dipstick whenever the humidity went up and the temp down. Ford made the change on this motor first for a reason, then followed suit on the rest...

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  25. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I meant comparing apples to apples, in other words, if both the SBC and SBF both had a PCV in the rear of the intake with a baffle made and using modern oils (as you mentioned) with detergent, I would imagine the sludge wouldn't be much worse in the Ford engine. I don't have a SBF to compare the two, just my guess.

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

27. Deuces

Deuces

Can it get any better than this????? 289 BFX webbers 1.jpg
    I borrowed this one from??? The induction thread....
    Thanks 1947Knuck... ;)

28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Personally I prefer the SBF valve covers to the SBC's rectangular shoe box styling. A little character is good in my book and more bolts usually mean fewer oil leaks. Also, having the distributor where you can get to it without having your whole upper body hanging over a hot engine and burning your belly button on the radiator looks pretty good too.

powrshftr and warhorseracing like this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

An HEI has no business being on a SBF. Gm's can get by with them being the distributor is in the back. Kind out of sight out of mind.