Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo Dif

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alexanderkustoms55, May 25, 2018.

1. Looking for info on replacing gaskets on a 1940 ford rear end.. I believe that’s all it needs. Any help on this would be much appreciated... thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

The gaskets on the sides of the centersection set the clearances for the gears. Very important to replicate the thickness of the current gaskets to maintain the right clearances (assuming it is set up correctly now).

Note the bolt holes on the centersection have tight clearance threads and SHOULD NOT be tapped out, or they WILL LEAK.

3. Ok I’m pretty sure there are no gaskets on it currently but is spins smooth

4. as long as you are replacing the center section gaskets, you should also replace the axle seals. they are inside the axle bells on the ends by the wheels. takes kinda of a special tool, which you can make

5. alchemy

alchemy

If it spins smooth now with no gaskets, it will be loose when you install gaskets. Those gaskets are very thin. You might be surprised when you pull it apart and find them. Measure them and keep track of the size on each side.

6. Ok sounds great.. over all would you guys say that if it spins smoothly and solid I should be good will new gaskets and new seals with oil and call it a day

7. This is the motor I’m running 270 hemi... so not a lot of horsepower

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

9. alchemy

alchemy

That is a wonderful explanation of an early Ford rearend rebuild. Alex should be aware the Model A rear in the lesson has a couple differences from his 1940 (mainly the pinion's end support bearing, and not one piece with the driveshaft). But overall a great set of instructions.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I even numbered those 8 close tolerance banjo to torque
    tube bolts just to make sure they went back into the same holes. I would do the same on the rest of the banjo to axle tube bolts also.
    Don't chase or tap the threads on bolts or holes. I used permatex non-hardening sealer
    and snugged them up tight but, not over doing it. You can make a new banjo to torque tube gasket out of a manilla envelope. Start all those bolts by hand.

11. Andy likes this.
  12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Very good book, but his method for safety wiring the ring gear is NOT correct. You probably won't get in that deep, but I want to point it out wherever possible. For correct safety wire practice, go with the gold standard, FAA AC43.13-1B. Just because "Henry did it this way" doesn't make it correct.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.13-1B_w-chg1.pdf

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Alexanderkustom; Save all that banjo and torque tube hardware as it's getting really hard to find since
    most folks "toss it"'.
    WMS to WMS on a 40 rear is 59 1/2 in. for your open drive line conversion info, but measure yours to make sure.

14. Only 646 pages. I was curious, but not that curious.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Haha! Yeah, there's a whole lot of info in there. I recommend to anyone who works on their own stuff to pick one up though, there's a lot of really interesting stuff in there that proves very useful for these old cars.

And safety wire starts on page 7-19 for anyone interested in looking.