Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1960 Cadillac trans adapter - starter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobuckets, May 23, 2018.

1. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Hey there -

I'm trying to adapt a 1960 Cadillac 390 to an early Ford transmission with a Cragar adapter (#303 for y'all keeping score). I have a starter that came with the engine, but it doesn't begin to fit the adapter. Digging through my pile of starters, I have a 1955 olds that almost works, but the solenoid won't clear.

Who has done this and what worked? I know the Cadillac starter is supposed to work, but it doesn't. I'm even open to buying a mini starter if I can figure out which one. The modern adapter guys have starters that fit the earlier motors where the adapter is just plate steel, but not this one.

More info - the adapter holes are threaded and accessible from the engine side only. They are approx. 180° across from each other.

Attached Files:

2. Budget36

Budget36

You could use a remote mounted solenoid, if the Olds starter works.

3. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Thanks! I emailed with Wilcap already - their starter only works with the flat plate adapter. They said the stock starter should work, but I have an odd one I guess. The catalog pages are also helpful - I have downloaded those, but they don't specifically address the starter, just bellhousing and pilot bearing. I found the install instructions for the earlier adapter too... but they don't really help.

That may be the easiest - my only roadblock there is the solenoid looks like it is tied into the bendix release. I need to break it down to confirm.

Attached Files:

4. 42merc

42merc

I have used that adapter.
    It accepts a Cadillac 6 volt starter from '50 to '52, or a '53 Cadillac 12 volt starter.

This also means you must use a 145 tooth flywheel from a '49 to '53 Olds or Cadillac.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    kadillackid and F&J like this.
  5. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Thank you - that is very helpful! I'll get on the hunt. I broke it down last night, the '55 Olds starter does use the solenoid to activate the bendix, so that's a harder option to relocate.

6. F&J

F&J

If you are pretty sure the mini will clear?...then Tony or Ross at Ross Racing Engines can set up their mini-starter with whichever tooth count flywheel you already own. They have both drive gears that fit their own mini-starter.

If it did clear, maybe the mini-starter pricing would not be all that much more than trying to find the 49-53 Cad stick flywheel? But you might just score that uncommon flywheel far cheaper than the going price of $200 (or more like $250)

7. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I'm not sure the mini will clear, but I think they are clockable, so hopefully I can rotate as needed to clear. I was hoping someone had gone down this road - but i'll update with pics when I get there.

I have the flywheel bolted up already and it needs a ring gear, so when I find a starter that works, I'll buy the replacement ring gear from Bendtsen's and bolt it on. http://www.transmissionadapters.com/for_sale.htm